Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #51 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Columnaris usually fluffy in appearance, it's not just a change in scale color. I've come across the change in scale color multiple times and it hasn't seen a cure thus far but it doesn't effect them, it usually effects the scales right around the top of the dorsal and then will turn the first few rays/mebrane of the dorsal white along with it, this would be the third one I've seen happen over the last two months and I've not no idea what it is but salt did nothing for it and nor did KanaPlex or General Cure, but it never effected the fish and the fin didn't fall off or anything.

So that said, I would leave all the antibiotics and salt out of the water for now, keep an eye on the patch to see what happens but if it's purely discoloration and nothing raised on it, slimy or bumpy or fluffy then I wouldn't worry. What you need to focus on is just the water quality and keeping her in good clean water until she feels better and she can start fighting off whatever it is.

By the way, that picture is totally awesome, you definitely get fish keeper of the year!! haha I hope everything works out though!

And yes if you have IAL, use that instead of the green tea, it does the same thing but there's no point in using it if you already have IAL. And the green tea also must be pure 100% decaffeinated green tea.
Thank you so much! This morning she's surfing and not clamping, the discolouration hasn't spread, and she seems like Tina again, except she's still a little bit sluggish. THough, she has sort of orange patch on both sides of her dorsal. Almost dayglow orange when you use a flashlight. o.o; Never heard of that, but it seems to just be coloration since nothing like that comes up in searches online.

We're keeping her in ISO for now until we figure out the water situation, but I still don't know what to do about her permanent residence. After a day or two should we put her back in her new, tall tank and see if she gets used to it? Should we put her in the long one again? How long would it take maximum for her to get used to her big tank before we could assume she just hates it?
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #52 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Maybe....just maybe she's marbling? I know she didn't seem the type....but the genes can literally pop up anywhere! As for slowing down, she's getting older so that could be a factor as well, not all retain their energy through life.

And she could take up to a week or more to get used to her tank, so I'd just put her back into it when you think she'll be up to it. I'd give her at least till Sunday/Monday in the ISO though, it won't hurt anything
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #53 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Thanks so much. We'll probably try again monday and keep her in ISO till then. Then give her a week in the tall tank to see if she gets used to it. :D Gonna turb-baffle the filter too.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #54 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah that's a good idea, could have been the filter that irritated her as well! I hope this all works out in yours and her favor!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #55 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Thanks a lot hon! <3 I hope so too
Old 06-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #56 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Keep her in qt until your water is safe. So I take it he spring water has made a difference?
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #57 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

HUGE difference. She's completely fine.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #58 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, definitely keep her in that stuff till the water quality improves, no sense in throwing her back into the bad stuff to just start all over again! I'm glad it was the simple water quality issue though and not something worse for her Can you get a picture now? I'm really interested in those different colored spots!
Old 06-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #59 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

She stayed still just long enough to take a picture. It is really noticeable. :D

It's like a little racing decal, I dunno. xD
Old 06-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #60 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh wow, she's grown up so much since I last saw her!!! How adorable!

Are you talking at that white-ish speck about two scale rows down from her third dorsal ray? (I feel like i'm playing Battleship lol; C5! Yes! I sunk your battleship!!) anyway, I'm not sure about the orange but it does look natural to me. I'd just keep a very close eye on it to see what it does, you can take pictures of her each day and then look back at her to see how it's progressed