Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #1 
JHatchett

Confessions of a Betta Addict

I decided to start a journal thread so I could spam gratuitious quantities of fish photos without annoying the forum at large. You're welcome.

Since this is my inaugural journal post I think some introductions are in order.

For the sake of this forum you guys can call my 'J'. I hail from Orem, Utah. I have 5 betta's presently and have owned 6 in total. I love art,music, and animals and recently have enjoyed making DIY projects for my tanks. I'm somewhat of a jack of all trades and have worked jobs in everything to IT to professional horseback riding instructor.

My first betta ever was purchased to be my dorm buddy. He was a multicolored crowntail named Larry. Larry was a Wal-Mart purchase and died after I had had him just over 5 years.

I wish I had taken more pictures, sadly all I have left of him is this blurry video. http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...a/PICT0261.mp4

I went fishless for a couple years but once my land lady gave me the go ahead to get a fish I purchased Leviathan aka Levi. Levi is a Traditional Plakat and a Petco "King" Betta. His body is about 2.5 in long and he is 3 in. nose to tail. I have had him since July. I originally had him in Larry's old one gallon with an under gravel filter. Unlike Larry, Levi didn't really thrive in his new home so after about a week I bought a 5.5 gal starter kit from Petsmart and a heater and life has been much better since. However while Levi is one of my most active fish he seems more sensitive to fluctuations in water quality than any of my others. He was pretty clamped and colorless when I got him but he has colored up beautifully. He is also my trick fish, jumping to my finger, targeting, flare on command, and swimming though a hoop.

This is the most current picture I have of him.

He started the madness.

The next addition came because I made the mistake of not dismantling the one gallon and one day I was in Wal-Mart looking at the bettas and trying to flag down an associate to clean up this disaster. The shelf spot for the male bettas where completely empty and there where about 15 cups of females sitting on the shelf in putrid yellow-brown water with epic amounts of uneaten food and waste at the bottom. There was a young child, sticking a very dirty finger in the cups trying to "pet" the fish then putting his finger in his mouth between cups. No parents in sight. I asked him politely not to do that as he can hurt them and he quickly skittered away. I looked at some of the girls he'd been tormenting and one on the smaller ones turned and flared at me. I couldn't leave her and took her home straight away. I named her Sassy.

She is a spastic, finger biting little menace. She attacks the gravel vacuum with gusto and anything new, plants, decor, and so on, have to be thoroughly menaced at first. I eventually upgraded her to a filtered 2 gallon tank and got her a heater. She's my little fighter, who occasionally builds small bubble nests.

She is also a lunatic when the camera comes out and it makes her difficult to photograph.

River came next, I had waited weeks for my local Petco to get Crowntail females. I went late on the day they got their shipment in and there was one itsy tiny baby betta sized CT female. Along with her I grabbed a 2.5 gallon tank and a heater, we skipped the old one gal. We had some difficulty at first because she wouldn't eat until I discovered that the pellets were just too large. I crushed pellets for about a week and then bought micro pellets. While I suspect that she will remain small she is growing.

A couple weeks later the curse of the old one gallon struck again. I had gone to petco for water conditioner and saw this red cambodian CT male with 4 rays! I had never seen a double double ray before, and snatched him up. So he got to live in the old one gallon. His name is Typhon or Ty. After about 2 weeks in the tiny, cold exile tank I divided Levi's 5 gallon and moved Ty in. Ty loved it, but big boy Levi was less impressed and I really wanted Levi to have his big tank back. I got another heater and a 2 gallon tank and moved Ty out. Ty is mister skittish. His aquarium is next to my computer desk and he loves to show off for me while I'm working, but he can be real skittery about fingers and tank cleanings. He loves his craft mesh hammock and sleeps there every night.

The most recent addition is Starbuck. Starbuck is the petco baby I never intended to buy. But it seemed so feisty in that cup despite the conditions so I took it home. I had a tiny DIY filter that I'd bucket cycled and an extra heater. For budgetary concerns I went the critter keeper route for the tank. Unsure of the gender I picked the name Starbuck in reference to Battlestar Galatica. In the original the Starbuck character is male and in the reboot female. :) So far the guess is female Veiltail.

Starbuck in her cup just after getting home from Petco.

Starbuck after a one day at home.

Starbuck discovered her hammock and is a fan.

She had her first water change today, I'm gonna keep her on the every other day scheduled to cut down on the growth stunting hormone. She nearly gave me a heart attack because she was completely fascinated with the siphon tube and kept trying to attack the rising debris.

She is a voracious eater and took to the crushed pellets like a champ. So happy with the little critter.

So here I am with 5 bettas. Oops.
JHatchett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Hey, impulse buys happen. I'm trying my hardest to stay at 2 but that's only cuz I refuse to have another betta like ryuuji/Mesmer (both sickly tailbiters) but still. Honestly your post is really well written. I'm impressed (with everything: language, content, and fish.)
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #3 
JHatchett

2 out of the 5 where impulse buys, so more than half of my fish. My roommates think I'm a little off my nut for keeping them in in "larger" tanks with filters and heaters. Their opinion on betta keeping is that of the layman, bettas only need tiny vases, infrequent cleaning and maybe some lucky bamboo. Their next breath is to complain about how quickly they die. :/

I'm glad you enjoyed the writing. While I don't fancy myself a great literary proficient, writing is one of those hobbies that I do enjoy.

On the fish news front Sassy river and Ty are getting water changes today.

Last night I decided to include Starbuck in "Flare time". I do this most evenings and I'll turn on the tank lights and turn off the room lights. I only do this for about 5 min. I enjoy watching the fish display.

I turned Starbuck's light off for the first couple nights while she was getting settled. Last night I kept her light on. She is fierce! She didn't do a little gill plates only half flare, she gave be a full on bearded flare. Oh how I wish I had my camera out!
Old 09-28-2014, 10:18 AM   #4 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Aww<3
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #5 
JHatchett

Sunday we had a freak power outage. I was sure my adult bettas would be okay but was more worried about Starbuck. I wrapped her tank in towels to try to avoid too much heatloss, even so her tank temp dropped to around 77 F before power was restored. She seemed unperturbed.

One of my roomates, in an attempt to be nice, gave me one of those jellyfish tank ornaments. I don't really care for it was a permanent fixture in the tank but I decided to use it as an enrichment toy for Starbuck. She loved it! At first she gave it a sound beating and once settled she loved swimming though the tentacles, hiding under the head and eventually chilling on it's top. It was fun to watch.

Obligatory Starbuck picture. Day 4.

In the last couple weeks I've been allowing Levi to flare at my females and have added frozen foods to their diets. I would like, if the fish will cooperate, to do a test spawn. My ultimate goal would be to establish a line of Crowntail Plakats. Before I invested in a nice breeding pair in the colors I desire to breed(Mustered Gas) I was going to practice with the current fish.

Because CTPK is the goal I originally thought that I'd try Levi with River or Sassy with Ty. However floating Sassy in Ty's tank resulted in Ty hiding behind his heater. Levi was more enthusiastic about River but I worried about the difference in size.

On a whim I decided to let Levi flare at Sassy. There was much flaring.

This pair shows more interest in each other than any of my other attempted pairings, but it's a pretty aggressive, fight-y interest.

This pair would result in Wild-type PKs. There are 3 LFS that are willing to buy fish from me. But my major concern is that Wild-types are not very pretty on the shelf, appearing like brown stripey fish. I worry about them selling if I where to be successful.

Makes me wonder if I'd have an easier time selling VTs. Show people don't care for then but pet stores can still sell them.

Oh well. More pictures.

Levi

Sassy
Old 10-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #6 
JHatchett

I typed up today's post then the computer promptly ate it. >:[

Anyway....

The polyfiber entangling Typhon's ventral fin seems to have worked it's self loose and he how has full mobility in the affected fin. It is so nice to see it not bent up and carried close to his body always.

I flared Levi and Sassy at each other again and the results were more promising. I used a larger container to float the female and there was a lot less aggressive ramming and striking, more wiggling and some very nice v-stripes on the female. I think Levi is trying to claim the surface bubbles from his air stone as his own because he would display for her and then swim under the bubbles and dance for a moment then come back to the container. Fish are weird.

Starbuck is growing like a weed and eating everything I give her. It's been 6 days but she is already longer than River! She is also getting a what looks to be a purple wash to her! I'm so excited to see how she colors up.

River is going to be put on the baby grow out program for the next couple of weeks to see if she is still capable of growth. I'm prepared to accept that she may be permanently stunted but I'm at least going to try.

Extra water change tomorrow for everyone!

We are moving to an upstairs room so the tanks will need to be partially drained for this purpose. I'll probably do another partial water change on Saturday just to keep on my usual water change schedule.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #7 
JHatchett

Everyone got moved upstairs okay, but they where pretty stripey and angry by the time I moved all the tanks up to the kitchen table, moved all their furniture up, put all the tanks in their new places, filled them back up and then plugged every one in. They all settled in pretty quick though and all seem no worse for wear.

Starbuck is a little weed! I'v had her for just over a week now and I'm loving watching her develop.

I went to petco the other day for some omega one and I naturally had to look at the fish. I silently cursed my utter broke-ness because they are having their dollar per gallon sale. They had a 20 gallon long that I would have loved to have. There was also 2 really sad looking king bettas that have been there for a while that I keep wanting to bring home. These wild-type colored kings are dramatic color changers and I wish I could tell people that these brown short-finned bettas will turn in the beautiful black, red, and irid blue bettas once you get them in clean warm water. It's sad that these boys are being overlooked because they are brown in the cup. There was also a double tail baby that came close to living in the cursed one gallon. I managed to pass because I was not in the position to buy another heater. BUT IT WAS SO HARD! I told myself that I wouldn't buy babies, I don't want to support the practice, but raising Starbuck has been completely enjoyable and I would have loved to give the little guy a fighting chance.

Next up on my list of planned purchases in another gang valve. I have a 2-way one currently hooked up to a whisper pump rated for 10 gallons. Right now it's running the airstone in Levi's tank(I know he doesn't need it but he likes playing in the bubbles), and one running the undergravel+ that is is Ty's set up. Formerly Ty's stuff was hooked up to the cheapo hawkeye pump that came with the kit, but when I shuffled things around that pump ended up running the DIY mini-filter in Starbuck's tank. Truth be told I'd like to throw the hawkeye out a window. It it ridiculously noisy.

I wrapped it in 2 dish towels, 2 winter socks, wrapped a pot holder around and put all of that into a sock hat and then stuffed the whole mess into a drawer, and it still rattles. I need another gang valve, so I can run the all three off the whisper. The cheapo is making me nutty. Maybe I'll go to my LFS instead of petco. I know they won't have babies, and for bettas they pretty much have red VTs and multi CTs. I could probably resist and come out with just the valve.

I'll post pictures of the new fish set up tomorrow once I've finished organizing.

I'll at least leave you with a couple of Starbuck photos. Day 8.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #8 
JHatchett

My mission to go to a petstore and buy only a gang valve was successful. Yay for restraint! I got a 4 way valve but I'm pretty sure that this particular pump could not service another device. The cheapo hawkeye pump was gleefully put in storage. Good riddance.

As promised here is a photo of my fishy set up.

River is in the Mini bow, Levi is in the 5.5, Sassy is in the 2 gallon hex tank, Ty is in the 2 gallon round, and Starbuck is in the critter keeper. Underneath is my unsightly cord spaghetti. I'll have to work on that and redo my drip loops I did label all the cords so I can easily see what goes where to make maintenance easier.

Starbuck's ghetto light is an extra under cabinet light that I had floating around. I created a plastic shield to keep moisture out of it. It is a very temporary solution. Formerly it was mounted on the wall in our old residence to give the Pothos and Dracaena more light than what was available in the dungeon. This room gets a more natural daylight so I'm hoping it will be less necessary.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #9 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
You got the impulsive betta bug. Haha, beautiful fishes btw
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #10 
Crossroads

I know the feeling of the betta bug....14 and counting ^^;
Such cute fish, Starbuck is freaking adorable.
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote