Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2014, 02:40 AM   #1 
Pandanke

Pandanke's Feesh

Hi :)

I love my bettas. I thought I'd show all of them in one spot, so without further ado I'll go ahead and introduce my two social ones... The third is really shy still, so no pics of him yet. Hoping he settles in soon.

Also showing you my guppy/shrimp bowl. Originally I was going to put a betta in there when the tannins cleared up, it's about 3.25g and quite well planted/NPT tank... but some guppy fry hitched a ride with my RCS and I don't have the heart to feed them to the bettas/otherwise off them... soo...

"Lil Buddy" is my desktop helper, a young blue butterfly who looked a lot more pastel in the cup. I'm still scaping his home (want more plants for the back), and may end up moving him to a bigger one as it is only 1.5g. However, he is fairly content there for now.

Mista Feesh is a coppery toned halfmoon with the biggest personality, he currently resides in a 10g with his subordinates... 5 panda cories, 3 otocats, a nerite, and an ivory apple/mystery snail. He is currently way bigger than this photo, but I need to algae scrub on the side a bit for a better picture. It is also a moderately planted tank with a mix of gravel and PFsand.

Both are extremely friendly little beggars.

My third betta, Hart, is a recent halfmoon double tail acquisition and he is in a 5.5g in my bedroom, also planted (dubiously... not sure if the plants will keep) in a NPT/dirt with gravel cap tank. He's super shy, which is weird as he was VERY friendly in the cup... I suspect the light is making the glass reflective and he sees himself and it upsets him, and that should clear up with time. I'll try to get a pic soon, and better ones of Mista Feesh.

Welp... That's all for now. I'm also setting up a big tank next week and not sure if I'll go with a pair of Angels, a sorority, or a single pretty betta yet for my topfish.
Attached Images

Pandanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #2 
huckleberry77

Thanks for sharing your stories and pics. I do admire your buddha tank. It is very stylish and simple.
huckleberry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #3 
Pandanke

A few pics of Mr. Feesh and his 10g with friends, as well as my new "cat" fish in my empty 40g Breeder from the Petco 1$/gallon sale.

I also may or may not have more and new bettas to post pics of.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #4 
Pandanke

Also, again, I know his fins look weird, but it really cannot be fin rot as they've looked that way forever, temp is kept upper 70's and params are constantly perfect. They don't get 'worse' or 'better' and he is happy otherwise. Extremely friendly fishy.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #5 
Pandanke

Here are my other tanks... :)

New inhabitant to my 'jade' statue tank is named "Spot"! He is almost pure white with the most pearly fins, with a couple dark spots that are scarcely noticeable.

I brought him home because he was heavily sedated in the 'blue water', and was having issues but was so friendly. I didn't want to leave him there any longer.

He is very docile, timid, and sweet.

I am worried about his bowel movements, they're not like the rest of my fishes... Looser.

The beige pot is "Grumpy Puddle Jumper" and you can probably guess why he got his latter names... He was pure white when we got him, but has turned out to be a gorgeous soft yellow! I'm so in love with his personality, he is very feisty and needy.

He likes to jump into the filter compartment of his tank and chase fingers.

The purple pot planted gravel 2g Cylinder is "Acid" who seems to change colors daily. He's currently blue bodied with red fading out to blue on his fins and is quite the beggar.

His fins look trashed, but he has a nice temperature controlled home now where they can grow out. He was doing pretty bad looking in the store, extremely washed out colors, tattered closed up fins but still came right to my husbands face.

The red one with a white body is "Hart" - a doublefin halfmoon who looks very much like a heart. He came home with me for my birthday/anniversary. He has similar stomach issues as Spot, and also only eats flake food. He is in a 5.5g NPT with some guppy fry and ghost shrimp.

He is very feisty when it is time for food, but otherwise timid and used to hide a lot. Since adding his tankmates and giving him a stronger heater, he is quite happy though!

... Man, I've totally gone off the deep end.

I have a 20g long I plan on transferring Spot, Grumpy, and Acid to eventually in a NPT divided setup.

... And Buddy from the 'jade' statue cube is now in the shrimp bowl and oh-so-happy!
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #6 
Pandanke

Some pics of my favorite project, the NPT bowl. Short clip coming up soon with more info.
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #7 
Jennalyn

Every time I come back to this thread, I see your "catfish" and start giggling again. Ours would do the same thing if given the opportunity. Your planted bowl is beautiful and wild, though, a very attractive jungle!
Jennalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:41 PM   #8 
Pandanke

Short clip, shrimp seem to be hiding today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYNfjCNvTks

So, a little more information on this weird 'dirty looking' bowl (according to my roommate, haha)...

When researching methods to help keep plants alive and balance it with maintenance so that I wouldn't have to change water multiple times per week, a way to buffer the balance of nitrate buildup... I came across what was called the "Walstad Method" or Naturally Planted Tanks - NPT.

I was originally hoping to find a way to implement this in existing setups, but to test it out (because I was very skeptical) I went out and found the perfect punch bowl to test it in. It cost under 20$ and is over 3g capacity... plus I have a bunch of cute cups now in my kitchen.

I've since seen similar bowls at Michael's hobby & craft supply store in their floral section for under 15$.

I had a heck of a time finding 'suitable' soil around here, and we made a pit stop on at the Home Depot on the skirts of town while needing to pick up some plywood and lo-and-behold... Miracle Grow Organic Choice Potting Mix! Yay. This is the most recommended variety.

... So... I made my first mistake pretty early on, and please learn from it - Do not just pour some water on top of the dirt to measure it (wet measure - 1 inch to 2 inches is what you want)... It'll seem like there isn't enough, isn't enough... MUD! That isn't what you want. Invest in an el cheapo 1$ spray bottle and just gently spray it, this makes it dirty your water WAY less later.

Add your under gravel heater and anything you want to run underneath here.

So after adding some mud to the bottom, I capped with gravel which unfortunately sunk in a lot because mud. Then I added pool filter sand which kinda stayed on top. Eventually it worked out, but when setting up my 5.5g I gently sprayed and it made life so much easier.

Then I planted it entirely before adding water, this helps with random plumes of mud all over. After that, I added a small pot to the middle and gently poured water in to the pot, this helped raise it slowly without disturbing the plants and gravel. I highly recommend this method.

After, I tossed in my marimo ball, a ton of tetra safe start, a DIY sponge filter & some shrimp accompanied by 'free' guppies. There were about 2 dozen originally, but I've spread them over all my tanks now.

This past week I added Buddy my blue butterfly betta, and he now merrily rules his kingdom.

The water grew tanniny with time, and that is fine with me. I am hopefully partially doing the same thing with my new 40g Breeder, but not positive when I shall set that up.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #9 
Pandanke

@Jennalyn : I love my "cat"fish! She is my spoiled baby :) I've raised her mostly by hand, and have kept a poorly maintained photoblog here if you wanted to see more: http://yodakitten.blogspot.com/

I really do prefer the wild look... if only for the fact it's just so low maintenance. The fish all really seem to adore playing in the plants, as well. If that bowl was barren, I would never keep more than just the betta in there, but the plants make it more reasonable not only in hiding places, but in water cleanliness. My 10g is turning into more and more of a jungle every day.

I just got some water lettuce & am hoping it'll do well in one of my tanks... and Duckweed. I am not sure if I want to add that at all.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #10 
Pandanke

I found a poor boy in the "not much hope" pile at Petco yesterday. He was leaning listlessly on his side and while absolutely gorgeous, wasn't very into swimming.

I temporarily put him in a 1/2g container (shallow, so he can get up to surface easily) and observed for a few hours while working... He does seem to have issues swimming. He wiggles his butt a lot when he tries to move? Anyone heard of this?

He can go up and down, but I think it is just really tiring for him. He is losing most of his green sadly, in lieu for the common blue.

He is way more active today, though, so I am hoping he makes it. I planted a Hygrophila Compacta and put in a plastic leaf betta hammock as well as some large smoothe rocks for him to lay on. He is the first betta I've had that has used the leaf.

Seems to be a turquoise and white marbled/almost butterfly. Really very pretty.
Attached Images