Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #1 
Dargent

I just bought a betta from thailand - I'm excited (scared too)

OK, so two bettas are apparently not enough when you have an extra tank and it fits perfectly on newly remodeled bathroom counter - my neighbor suggested it, I'm not taking all the blame. Hubby said, "happy valentine's day!" ( Thank goodness for another holiday just in time!)

So I very rarely wander thru aquabid but this time I got stuck on two. Went back looked again next day. And next. Then I called the mysterious transshipper in FL Jesse to see if he really exists. SOLD!!!! Jesse was wonderful, so helpful and informative - AND he knew my seller (as in "he gets hundreds of fish from him and they look good "). The second fish I was considering he did not know seller plus no reviews so just no (even though that seller emailed me he had just switched from ebay to aquabid hence no reviews.)

So the first fish that caught my eye was in fact the known seller fish so back to aquabid I go, and what do you know, the second fish has a bid on it. It's a sign!!! First fish is meant to be mine! So I bid the start price with no increase and won. (I should mention I had seller email me a video beforehand too.)

So I'm excited and praying for my new crowntail (I'm partial to crowntails because my DT Rosetail is a tail snacker, and my other CT king already comes shredded LOL!) to travel safely and warmly and arrive happily to a new loving home! He should get to me around 1/30. Will be a long two weeks..

ACCLIMATION ADVICE WELCOME - or tips from anyone who has traveled down this path successfully or otherwise. NAME IDEAS TOO - you all are great at that - I think he looks like a sunset at twilight but is twilight too simple? The seller calls him an Amsterdam crowntail no idea why - but Amsterdam related names maybe? He is also my 3rd betta so trio related names? Or whatever you see...

Thank you all so much for any help you can spare.
Attached Images

Dargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #2 
blueridge

First off congrats on your first aquabid purchase! Aquabid is a dangerous place

I wish I had name suggestions, but I normally can't name a betta unless I see it in person. No suggestions here! Sorry

As for acclimation, I have acclimated my bettas like I do with the regular guys from the store. I put them and their bag water in a cup, and then float it in the new tank, taking out old water, and putting in tank water over a matter of 30-45 min. maybe an hour tending how the betta is doing. Of course you should leave lights off, and make sure it is quiet around the tank so your guy can settle in over night.
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Well, if he reminded me of "twilight" I would name him "Pattinson," "Robert," "Lautner," "Kellan" (Emmet Cullen character) or "Taylor." But I love Pattinson.

But that's the way my mind works.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #4 
Olivia27

I just bought my first import as well :) for some reason I'm not as worried compared to when I was waiting for my eBay fish Volga. I feel like these Thai-bred Bettas are very valuable, and so everyone will do anything in their power to keep them safe and sound. Great choice by the way he's beautiful! I'm not a Twilight fan ( XD ) but I do like the sound of "Saga". As in the Twilight Saga? :P
Olivia27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #5 
Witchipoo

Pretty!
I dunno why, but he looks like a Victor to me.
Witchipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:54 AM   #6 
Dargent

Thank you for all the great suggestions! I am not a huge Twilight the movie fan, I was thinking more in terms of the colors in the "celestial" event, I have posted a comparison photo. I was just thinking calling him twilight was just too easy and obvious (or sunset for that matter). A friend of mine said he looks like fireworks (so call him "ooooohhhhh aahhhhh"? LOL.) Victor reminds me of the Hunger Games but also works with Van Gogh of course, the Amsterdam factor. There is room for exploration there. Please keep the suggestions coming and happy to hear acclimation is not too painful...
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2016, 12:59 AM   #7 
Dargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seren27 View Post
I just bought my first import as well :) for some reason I'm not as worried compared to when I was waiting for my eBay fish Volga. I feel like these Thai-bred Bettas are very valuable, and so everyone will do anything in their power to keep them safe and sound. Great choice by the way he's beautiful! I'm not a Twilight fan ( XD ) but I do like the sound of "Saga". As in the Twilight Saga? :P
Seren, is your betta going to Jesse, the transhipper? When is he expected? I would love to see a photo. I will keep both of our fish in my prayers for safe transport. I am guessing there were no hiccups with Volga or you would not have tried this again.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:05 AM   #8 
Olivia27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargent View Post
Seren, is your betta going to Jesse, the transhipper? When is he expected? I would love to see a photo. I will keep both of our fish in my prayers for safe transport. I am guessing there were no hiccups with Volga or you would not have tried this again.
No, mine is going through Koo Yang. I'm in MI, you see. MN is closer. Volga actually came from FL so this is my first import ever. I don't have photos on my phone but she's got a thread on the Betta Pictures section :) I ran out of data (again) to go to my laptop ._. She'll be shipped from Thailand on 1st Feb, so she should reach MN by Feb 2nd.
Olivia27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #9 
LittleMan

I LOVE the name Twilight!!!!!
LittleMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #10 
Dargent

TWILIGHT it is!

You all inspired me to research a bit and I got some real learnin' in LOL. First of all, it's Vincent Van Gogh, not Victor (duh), who painted many paintings at and even named Twilight. One NYC exhibition of his was called "Colors of the Night", which even ties in with the fireworks theme. So based upon this research, I believe Vincent himself might have named this fish Twilight. I'm good with that :) but what I find even more intriguing is the thought that the seller saw a little Van Gogh in this fish hence describing him as Amsterdam... overthinking probably, but still.... :)