Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2014, 03:52 AM   #1 
maggie9059789

New Betta (Adventures) Log!

Hello everybody! I am going to start journaling my adventures with my new little female betta. A little bit about myself first I guess, I got my first betta in 2011, I'm very academic and even started completing first year level science courses since grade ten and literally sign myself up for every single elective I can fit in along with volunteer work.

So basically my life is pretty hectic. I don't know about you guys but I know that having a betta in my life definitely keeps me sane. It is just nice coming home and knowing that you have a little fella waiting for you and is all excited the second they see you and greets you as they beg for food of course. Bettas inspire me and provides motivation for me to keep pushing myself beyond my limits and keep striving until you're over achieving and even then keep going. It is simply amazing how strong these little guys and gals are. Even physically they can survive barely livable conditions and are fighters until the very end. I just simply can not put in words how much I love bettas and I truly owe it to them to helping me develop as a person in general.

First betta (Sept. 1, 2011): Blazer, red crowntail. My first ever betta friend. Introduced me into the world of bettas, a spontaneous choice for me to buy a betta but one of the most important decisions that I would never regret making. I was lucky and blessed to have spent those nine months that I did get to spend with him, he passed away from metal poisoning due to a heater.

Second Betta (Sept 1, 2012): Tarris, peachy halfmoon. Tarris here on the other hand was the first betta I had that I was absolutely prepared for. I made sure I had taken every ounce of knowledge I had from experiences with Blazer to making sure Tarris would never get harmed or fall ill. We had an amazing journey throughout those two years. As I was introduced into the "real world" and the transition of growing up Tarris was with me every single step of the way. Whenever I felt as the world was too much I would come to Tarris and after awhile I would calm down and be refreshed with motivation to keep going once again and have the mind set of staying positive and making the best out of everything. Tarris unfortunately has always been a more sensitive and skittish fish who got nervous easily. He fin bited 3/4 of his tail by the second month which was fine until paint started bubbling off one of his caves frompetsmart and he got sick and literally suddenly semi pineconed. Dont remember what I did exactly but I know kanaplex eventually was used and he seemed quite recovered afterwards. Following winter 2013 though there was a heater malfunction and he had a temperature shock which led to him getting ill. He never showed obvious signs of exactly what was wrong but slowly started deteriorating. He battled ick, sever fin rot and other "mysterious illnesses" after that. Eventually he just couldnt take it anymore and had fibrosis gill damage. He was a strong boy and kept fighting for almost two more months after his gill damage got to the point where he could barely swim. He did pass away in May 2014 and is now swimming up by the rainbow bridge with Blazer to accompany him. I will always try to keep the mindset of celebrating his life and being glad he was in my life and thankful for those 2 years we spent together but every now and then I might break down from everything being too much and really start grieving for him all over again. It is a lot tougher coping with the rough times in life when he isn't there physically with me.

August 29, 2014: I got up the courage and went to Petsmart to look around at bettas and grabbed new supplies. It was about time I got up the courage to have another betta companion. I did not realize how much I NEEDED a betta in my life until I noticed how happy I was looking at every betta and talking to them at the store oblivious to everything else around me. So it was then that I knew for sure I needed a betta to accompany me along my senior year at high school. (That plus the rational reason of me giving a better home to a betta than those cups or a little girl throwing them into a bowl would ever do) So after literally standin there for over and hour I decided on this tiny female that was 1/3 the size of the other females. I thought it would be really cool to watch her grow up. But i wasnt prepped yet so just had to cross my fingers she would still be there. I knew this would be the start of an exciting adventure since I only had male betta before. I don't know how females and their eggs and everything works. But I have heard they are quite active compared to males and that would be quite interesting since I honestly think the males aren't that lazy anyways haha.

DAY 1~Sept 1, 2014:I ran home from work (PNE Fair) and screamed at my parents to quickly get into the car before petsmart closes early because it was Labour day. My little girl was still there though she was just slightly clamped at the bottom, a lot less active than friday but I still got her hoping she'll perk up when she's used to her new large, heated, well decorated home with lots of hiding places. Acclimated her for six hours, ended up freaking out before I thought she we t into temperature shock when I floated her cup into my tank and she stayed really still. But after two hours I realized by that point she was literally just sleeping. Sooooo.... That gave me a good scare lol. I tried feeding her one new life spectrum pellet and she happily gobbled it up. She was really sleepy, when I finally placed her into the tank, she swam right up to a leaf near the surface and continued sleeping! Didn't even bothered to snoop around. And i woke up every 4 hours that night to make sure heater was calibrated properly.

DAY 2~Sept. 2, 2014: Woke up (again) and when I went to tank I saw her dart away. She is quite scared of me and stressed out in general. She has had stress lines basically the entire time. Though at one point yesterday during acclimation had those breeding/aggression lines. Anyways I fed her two pellets an she went right for it then hid right away again. She clearly wouldn't come out with me in sight so I hid behind my bed and peeked at her for a good hour. It was cute watching her hesitantly leave that one leaf and swim a bit out into the open then rushes right back to that leaf. Then swims out a little further than last time and rushes right back to the leaf. Five hours later I caught her kinda glass surfing! Though she stopped right when she saw me, but hey I still saw that! By diner at 5pm I dropped food into the open area and she actually came out to get it. After diner she even stayed out there in the open and asked me for food. She freezes up when I approach but thats an improvement from darting away at the sight of me. Pretty sure by the end of the month we'll be besties!!! I will upload pictures tomorrow. But keep in mind my ipod has horrible quality but at least you can see what the tank and my little girl looks like. Oh and her name is Brey.

Thank you to anyone to actually read all this. I know I typed a lot but just keep in mind that it is a very exciting time for me. The journal entries will die down a bit as the days passes, but right now it's a very exciting time as I discover her personalities and get to know her. Feel free to comment so I know that at least someone is reading this haha. This is a really amazing place where most of us all share a passion over bettas so we would all mostly understand each other, especially when it's excited rambles about bettas. Thanks again for reading and I will definately keep updating daily for at least this first month.

Ps: I am and will be typing on a tiny ipod touch in the middle of the night so please try to ignore all my typos ect...

Have an amazing day everyone! Don't forget to try to add a little spontaneity to your day no matter how big or small! :)
maggie9059789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:39 AM   #2 
maggie9059789

DAY 3~ Sept. 3, 2014: Woke to today to be greeted by Brey and she was excited for breakfast. Significant difference from yesterday since she would freeze up whenever I approached. Overall ate four pellets and pooped at least once. Doesn't seem to have any internal intestinal problems or anything so that is great! Gave her first water change(40%) which she temporarily had stress lines turn into aggressions lines during water change. She seems to be warming up to her new habitat since she is willing to be hanging out in the out in the open area. Hopefully stress lines disappear soon.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #3 
Ian Tepoot

Wow. A very detailed record of your experiences. I'm glad to see you are having a positive experience with your aquarium companion.
Ian Tepoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:42 AM   #4 
maggie9059789

DAY 4~ Sept. 4th, 2014: Today Brey was quite excited for breakfast as well. Noticed that her stress lines would disappear during meals, hiding in her plants, and glass surfing. She's also been doing a fair amount of glass surfing from what I can see. There seems to be some red colouration coming in for her dorsal and anal fins and sometimes she's just a chameleon with all the manipulation of skin pigments, especially with her stress lines. Diet wise ate 4 pellets, I didn't find any poop. She is definitely getting more and more use to her new habitat!
Ps: I will be using these logs for my owm references too so I will be stating what she ate, and if she's digested her food, sooooo just a heads up in ur case wondering why I keep mentioning if she's pooped or not on a daily basis haha. Just trying to keep record so I can use the logged info as an idication to her health.

@Ian Teapoot: LOL Thanks for actually reading all this ramble of mine! i am literally typing this at like 2am most of the time so I dont even know what I am sayin half the time.
Old 09-06-2014, 12:46 AM   #5 
maggie9059789

DAY 5~Sept. 5th, 2014: Brey was excited for breakfast. Still has dark stress lines but it does go lighter when she glass surfs around. Gave her a 50% water change using the gravel siphon for the first time, she was really curious and swam right up to it and I had to pikt it straight down so she wouldn't get sucksd in but the sight of flying rocks just intrigue her more... But afterwards she seemed quite stressed afterwards and took some time getting used to her tank again since her plant moved a tiny bit. Seems as she has been digesting her food but it either comes out in little "crumbles" or she tried putting it into her mouth and spat it out. Overall she's just still trying to get familiar with her habitat, though the water changes every other day (planning on just for first week) is throwing her off a bit and just adding stress. Hopefully her stress lines disappear within a week or so.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:11 AM   #6 
maggie9059789

DAY 6~Sept. 6th, 2014: Woke up to her excited for breakfast as usual. Ate two pellets for breakfast but no diner as a little "fasting", well that and it was quite late. Appears to be getting more comfortable in her habitat.

DAY 7~ Sept. 7th, 2014: Brey was definitely getting comfortable with her new habitat. Stress lines were lighter and sometimes weren't even there! She got frozen brine shrimp for the first time and didn't even hesitate eating it or even wondered if it was food. (Ate three and I stopped since her tummy started getting bigger trying to digest it.) At night though I gave her a water change which stressed her out, but I found out she was pooping quite regularly in pretty big chunks but it almost is disintegrated after sucked into siphon. Afterwards tried turning on her filter for the first time which honestly was quite disastrous. She was completely freaked out, and the water change shifted her plant from that perfect position where there was this leaf that was right by the surface. She even jammed herself into the makeshift water bottle baffler.... So yah nevermind about the filter. Maybe I'll try slowly turning it on daily for a little bit per day and use some classical conditioning pairing it up with some food. She literally went quite dark with aggression lines on body, stress lines still remaining on face then once aggression lines went away super dark stress likes and she seems paler than ever. Well that definitely stressed both of out and now I know to refrain from trying something new with her so suddenly.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:40 AM   #7 
maggie9059789

DAY 8~ Sept. 8th,2014: Brey seemed to have somewhat recovered from the stressful previous night. Tried turning on filter again and she was more calm about it, though at night I noticed she refused to sleep even at 1am if the filter was on so I have to turn it off at night which really defeats the purpose of the filter's functions but at least this way she will be getting more used to the filter hopefully. She seems so upset when she's trying to sleep on her top leaf but it's awkward with the filter on or something. Poor little girl haha hopefully she comes around with the whole heater situation.

DAY 9~ Sept. 9th,2014: Pretty much same thing as yesterday with the filter situation. Ate four pellets, and dark stress lines are back from all this filtering. She seems quite chill during daytime about filter but loses it when it's still on at night and she's trying to sleep.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:11 AM   #8 
maggie9059789

DAY 10~Sept. 10th,2014: Didn't see Brey much today, but turned on filter in morning as I fed her again and left it on until midnight. When I got back home from Camp Mad, Brey didn't have stress lines even though filter was on! (well she did once I was there but I still saw that she was pretty calm). Ate four pellets as usual and didn't notice anything unusual.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:19 AM   #9 
maggie9059789

DAY 11~Sept 11th,2014: Wow it's almost been two weeks since I brought Brey home! Last night I actually left her filter on overnight for the first time ever and she didn't seem too stressed in the morning. Trying that again today. She got four pellets once again and I gave her a good 50% water change. She clearly is digesting her food, but she also is still losing a bit of scales or scraped herself or something of the sort. But i can't see that on her actual body so it's probably not too serious, she does get stressed easily but recovers after some de stressing so it should be under control.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #10 
hrutan

It's amazing what can be accomplished with a little bit of training.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote