Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2015, 08:14 PM   #1 
Julie7778

My Fish Experience Journal

Hello everyone! I decided I'll be starting a journal. I admit, I'm quite new to the site and did not even know how to start a post Lol! But let me introduce you guys to my tanks (I hope my pictures upload oh lord..)

Size: 20 Gallon tank
Contains: Neon tetras, guppies, endlers, swordtails, SAE, Assassin snails.
Plants: The only one I can remember is micro sword...It is my favorite.
I have a large piece of mopani wood in there and some rocks. I love the natural look.

Size: 5 Gallon tank
Contains: Half moon betta named Kiko
Plants: Once again i only remember micro sword sorry xD
I have some Malaysian wood in there and real & fake plants and a betta log and leaf hammock and a rock.

Size: 10 Gallon tank
This is where my new experience will start. This tank has nothing in it anymore. It has been cycling for awhile, I had some fry in there before. Now I really want to make use of the tank now. My idea was to get some dwarf puffers. Im really interested in them. As you can see I have only some blue gravel which I plan on changing to black gravel (if its okay for puffers not to have sand)

I plan on getting 2-3 DP I hope all female. Problem is im not sure if Big Al's will have them. Im going to look next weekend and if not I'll ask a manager to order them for me :/ I really hope they have them. I want to make their tank beautiful with some caves and a lot of plants Hopeffully better than my current ones. Any tips about puffers would be great - thanks Arghhh! I had a snail army attack my 20 gallon and I got my assassin snails to kill them, now i found out DP love to eat them. man, who knew I would want those buggers back.

This is Kikos 5 gallon! I might want to get him some shrimp but hes really vicious towards me even :( During the photo i actually saw him go to nip at his tail which was pretty sad, I changed thins around today so hes not bored.. sigh
Name:  IMG_7684.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  39.0 KB

This is my 20 gallon tank, I just re decorated it today and I'm not sure if I like it... I want to get wayyyy more plants. But the fish seem to love going under the rocks.
Name:  IMG_7679.JPG
Views: 81
Size:  34.3 KB

Finally, the 10 gallon. Looks like it has 0 potential, even worse because the hood broke.. need to buy a new one. I plan to change it entirely I hope this will be my best tank
Name:  IMG_7680.JPG
Views: 78
Size:  28.1 KB

I hope you guys enjoy reading about my fish life :)
Julie7778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:59 PM   #2 
Julie7778

So, I doubt anyone is reading this but I hope one day once I get things all together I'll have some supporters! So, I'm still hoping to go this weekend to Big Al's and check out the dwarf puffers if they have them at least.. This is just a small update

5g Kiko's Tank:
Kiko seems very active and looks like hes happy with his new 5 gallon. I dont have a picture because nothing has really changed. He devours his bloodworms! Today he flared at me when i put my finger on the glass xD hes a vicious little guy.

10g Future Dwarf Puffer Tank:
Today I changed the filter, I am not sure what the previous one was. But it was from a friend and it was really old. I liked how you could control the current but it was SUPER loud. I changed it to an Aquaclear Filter (I used the Cartridges and all that from the old filter so I dont ruin the cycle!) I am very excited t go and get plants and set it up for them (I still have to change the gravel to black so it gives the natural look) Any tips for easy light plants that grow good other than java fern or ones you tie on? I also have to buy a new hood for my tank cause clumsy old me accidentally dropped it in the water... sigh. Half of the side's lights didnt even work so oh well. I plan on buying a cheap one hopefully :/ dont want to waste too much. Does anyone know if DP jump?
Name:  IMG_7707.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  39.9 KB
This is the new filter (Sorry for sideways pic) I have to add more water as you can see the filter is like a waterfall.

Name:  IMG_7708.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  34.6 KB
This is the breeder box i was planning on using to breed snails for my DP as food

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  43.9 KB

This is the no lid :( Anyone know if DP NEED a lid?

20g Community Tank:
I recently boiled the wood i have in my 20g, because after around 5 days after the water change it would become yellowish... But now after boiling it it seems like even more is coming out *sigh*
Old 04-02-2015, 05:48 PM   #3 
Julie7778

I just finished taking all of that blue gravel, and replaced it with the black. Looks very dark but hopefully soon I can get a hood with lights. I changed some of the water because it was dirty from the gravel, but I added some new water and some from my 20 gallon tank. I want to get plants in there but without lights its unlikely. I dont even want t put my guppies in an empty 10g, so I guess I'll wait some more.
Name:  IMG_7725.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  26.7 KB
Old 04-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #4 
Julie7778

So just a quick update. I think I will be going tomorrow to see the dwarf puffers, if they even have them.if they don't I'll be pretty disappointed, but I actually really want to get a dumbo betta :( I'm in love with this one someone is selling but they live an hour away from me. My mom doesn't want to drive that far for a fish, I just emailed the guy asking if maybe he could ship it since it's only 1 hour driving and I'll pay for the cost. If he agrees I'm not sure how much shipping will be but the betta will be probably 40-50 dollars. It's originally $30 so I'm just guessing. I really hope he agrees because the betta looks beautiful. I'm even willing buying another tank for him, because I don't really want to split my 5 gallon with Kiko since 2.5 isn't that much space and Kiko is feisty. I also don't want to split my 10 g because I'm not even sure DP and bettas are able to live together because of water conditions. Plus I could only have like 1 puffer on the other side... So my plan is
PLAN A: if they sell DP at big als, give them the 10g and buy the new guy (which isn't even mine yet xD) a new tank.
PLAN B: if the store doesn't sell DP give him half of the 10g and divide it so I can possibly get another betta :o last time I went to pet culture and they had adorable small half moons. So tempting x_x
PLAN C: same situation as Plan B but I put him in Kikos 5g depending on his personality, and put Kiko in the 10 g with another betta.

I really hope the guy is willing to ship him :/
Old 04-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #5 
Julie7778

I Just finished doing a water change for Kiko. I'll probably do the 20 g later today or tomorrow. I did the 10g yesterday when I was changing the gravel. I think I'm going to sell all the blue gravel I have since I like the more natural look now.

Kiko seems to be happy :) he hasn't been biting his tail :D does anyone know what causes this? I know the main reasons but like even in a 10 g would a betta bite his tail? On April 8th it will be a month that I have Kiko, wow it feels like it's been a year XD I really enjoy him. I hope I can get him a little "friend" aka the dumbo that I really want but won't be anywhere near him..

But, I actually was considering putting a divider in the 5g, it's still a lot of room. But at the same time I need to see how active the new guy would be. I doubt I'll split the 5g. I think I'll just get him another tank, maybe 3 gallon. No news from the guy who's selling him :(
Old 04-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #6 
Julie7778

I just finished a water change. Nothing interesting. I think the one plant in my 20g I think Anubis is growing better now that I tied it onto the wood. I took some pics of Kiko and he never poses for them -.- why cant you be a good little betta and pose, argh! But here are some pics.
Name:  IMG_7772.JPG
Views: 63
Size:  36.2 KB
Name:  IMG_7786.JPG
Size:  29.5 KB
Name:  IMG_7672.JPG
Size:  32.5 KB
Name:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Size:  47.6 KB

These are the best pics I could get. I wish this thread would be more active I really need some help! Lol! I constantly have questions x_x
Sorry theyre sideways again >_>
Old 04-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #7 
Julie7778

Sigh, the guy just told me he doesn't want to ship the dumbo I have my eye on. I dont know if I can drive and meet him to pick it up. damn.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 PM   #8 
Julie7778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie7778 View Post
Sigh, the guy just told me he doesn't want to ship the dumbo I have my eye on. I dont know if I can drive and meet him to pick it up. damn.
I'm really disappointed, I searched all evening for dumbo bettas and no luck.on eBay they didn't ship to Canada. AquaBid is too much money when it comes to shipping and no one on here has any for sale. This really sucks, my heart is still going for the guy near me. But no Knesset yet from the seller. I hope we can meet somewhere half way so I don't have to drive so far, sigh.

I'm very excited to go tomorrow to big als. But nervous to see if they have DP or not
Old 04-04-2015, 11:10 PM   #9 
SiameseFightingArt

Subbing

Last edited by SiameseFightingArt; 04-04-2015 at 11:14 PM.
SiameseFightingArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #10 
Julie7778

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiameseFightingArt View Post
Subbing
Thanks so much :)!

Tags
10 gallon, betta, journal