Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #281 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So yeah we ended up putting the goldfish back, the poor babies were just not doing well and I feel really bad I should know better....

But pictures of my little setup to come once they finish uploading! Also some pretty flower pictures I took because I can lol and my two girl cat's Ieli and Misha!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #282 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So we were pretty sure that these are goldfish fry, they look to be about 3-4 weeks old I would guess although the small one only looked maybe 2 weeks old and quite malnourished. I bought mom and 7.02 oz of goldfish flakes so we'll be set for a while for feeding! We don't feed them often as they do have plenty of live foods to be eating but they haven't been coming up very much, the pond is super low. Like the middle is probably only 5-7 feet deep as opposed to the 13-15 that it is normally but that's what happens during the summer.

So anyway I think the fish were afraid because we have a Heron that comes around and eats the fish sometimes as well as raccoon's and other wild life that will love to eat fish. But after mom's foot tap that she normally calls them up with, they finally came out to eat so that was exciting! I also tried to feed the babies when they were inside but the small one didn't want to eat and the bigger two ate some flakes but not much. All three pooped very well which is great but I have a feeling they didn't last much longer in the pond when I put them back in.....at least we have enough babies and enough adults >.<

Anyway, here's the biggest baby we caught which was about an inch in length excluding tail.

Sorry, I realized that the two I uploaded were both of the same fish seemingly gasping at the top >.< they were actually swimming around though.

And here's the 1 gallon vase now as it stands, mom loved it with the light on it so I'm hoping that I can keep it there since it does look super nice on the counter rather than the window sill I want to put something in it but I'm afraid shrimp will die since it's not an "established" aquarium and then I don't know about snails, there isn't enough to eat algae wise so it'd have to be a flake/pellet eater for the most part. I was thinking 1-2 Ghost shrimp if I get a heater in there with a thermometer and just do that but still not sure. Obviously I have to test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate because if the goldfish can't even tolerate it then how the heck will shrimp?! so, we'll see what happens to it! It originally started as a project quarantine for the plants so that I could use them in my aquariums but being that they came from our pond, who know's what's lurking in them. So the original plants had been QT'd for about 2 months but the grassy one eventually died and the other one was too tiny, it grew fast and was a good stem plant but it was much bigger out in the pond. Now I've got the grassy ones and a new plant that reminds me of some type of rotala but I know it's not.

And because I can here's some pictures of our flowers around the yard. The first one is off our blue Hydrangea.

Water droplet's, I want to formally print these one day and frame them ^_^ good thing Art student's get a discount on large printing

Sun setting on a White Butterfly Bush

And the Purple Butterfly Bush.

Annnnd Cat's! I'm a kitty cats and I dance, dance, dance and I dance, dance, dance! Well normally, right now I'm sleepy haha. This is my first girl Ieli, she's a Tabby/Maine Coon Mix.

And here's our stray cat Misha ^_^ I love her huge ear tufts!
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #283 
BettaLover1313

Aw! Your cats are so cute!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #284 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you!!! I do love both of my girls ^_^ each are at different houses, Ieli is at my dad's with her brother's MC and Siberian (MC is blood related Siberian isn't) and then Misha is at mom's house being terrorized by the feral kitties we now have running around >.< oi but she does well enough! Comes when she's called and eat's when she's hungry.

They're all great cat's really! Although Siberian is having his allergic reaction again, can't figure out what the heck it is! We switched him to a good food around January/February (well better than the last at least) and then he got better. Then dad accidentally bought the wrong food without me knowing and so we were feeding that for 2 months. He relapsed and now he's been back on his other food for 2 months now and he still hasn't gotten better, if anything it's worse!

I'm starting to wonder if the larger red flea looking things are some sort of parasite as my mom suggested. They look like super flea's and that's what I call them, super flea's. They also looked like squirrel flea's but I can't be too sure. The poor boy they're only on him though! Not Ieli or MC which is strange because they all hang together so that makes me think it's not regular flea's which would attack all three and us humans....idk :-/
Old 08-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #285 
BettaLover1313

Poor kitty :( Hopefully you can figure out what he has soon and get it treated.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #286 
TiffanyP

I'm a cat lover too :) and I think I have a thing for male animals haha an 11 year old boy kitty and 2 boy fishies. And if I ever get an italian greyhound like I want, it's going to be a boy too :) I love Misha's color, I love grey kitties... and black kitties... and orange kitties... and just all kitties haha
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #287 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Even if we do figure out what it is BettaLover, my dad won't spend the money to get him what he needs. We're already trying to buy a house and so cat's are the last on our minds since my grandfather is kicking us out. Sad but it's not effecting him to the point of life or death. It's just itchy is all but I got a flea comb and so hopefully I can at least try to kill some of the stupid suckers.

I just find it weird they don't bite me even when he sleeps on my bed. Like I find them crawling around but they don't bite. They also don't jump very high either or at least they don't feel like it. They just look like big lazy flea's and so yeah...idk!

And Tiffany, idk, most of my girls have all the personalities lol whether it's on the b*tchy side or the nice side XD I love them all though equally ^_^
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #288 
TheOnlyCanvas

Ugh, fleas are a pain in the ass.
As far as your earlier post about baby goldfish being black, I used to have a backyard goldfish pond too, and the babies always started off black and would slowly turn orange as they got older. So maybe you're not actually losing them, they're just changing color!
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #289 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah that's what I thought! I knew often when they're younger they have the black/brown/gold colors and look more calico and when they get older they turn gold But in the pond they literally look so black, but in the pictures you can see they have a cute little irid to them and look more brown/deep orange so it's just the pond tricking us haha

I'd love to be able to catch a few of the bigger ones and put it in an observation tank for a few minutes to get some pictures and show everyone because they are cute! I believe they are regular commons since they don't have the flowy tails, longer and slimmer from the top looking and they're mostly orange/red and many are koi colored orange/red and white, too cute! One of my favorites in there is all orange with white cheek patches so we call him Patches ^_^ he's so cute!

Unfortunately I can't really get good pics since the pond is rather glary >.< that happens when you know...there's water...and there's a sun...and...yeah. lol
Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 PM   #290 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Whew! Hot Damn! I just hit 5,007 posts on here! with an average of 37 posts a day!.....I need to get a new addiction.....lol

And just a mini update on my little vase project here. This is just without all the darn bubbles, my mom likes the bubbles though lol

And this is more a straight on view so you can see how the sand lay's, I rather like it like this! But there is dirt on the bottom layer with an inch of sand on top of it My own little NPT! I'm sure the Nitrite/Nitrate levels are through the roof but that's okay, there's no fish in there haha

And because I'm stupid I bought another female. In the store she looked extremely yellow, like lemon yellow but upon getting her home she's an exact replica of Pineapple. I believe I have a home for her already but I'll just post her pictures here anyway since she is cute She's half the size of Pineapple, quite a young girl. She's yellow with a tad of white irid and some black Pineappling on some of her scales near her gills/head. She's a regular VT and she's even got the same green/blue eyes as Pineapple. Most likely from the same breeder as well.

I was trying to get her to flare with Gambit but she wouldn't take any of it lol she really just wanted to get out and explore but he was circling like a shark! haha

She's also slighting more pale than Pineapple is, more on the yellow side where Pineapple has colored to be more on the orangish side.

Best picture ever lol you can see some of her little black freckles here

That's Stardust right there next to her for a bit of size comparison.

Bad picture but you can see she's more pale in a good light.

The iridescence there, kind of cute really.

In other new's my Ram's are doing extremely well! I thought that the male was bonded with the bigger of the two females, turns out he's got it on with the smallest one, she's nearly half his size!!!! lol But she's got quite a pink belly going on so I'm wondering if they're going to breed soon. He keeps trying to lure her and it's rather funny really because she's off hanging with the Betta's XD She swims with them and chills with them and they don't care! The other female kind of hides a lot though and I don't blame her, the male chases her quite a bit and I'm wondering if I should just sell her, I don't want her getting hurt but I know the ratio is best as 1:2 M:F...so idk. I'm going to give it a few more weeks to see what happens. But here's the male in all his lovely glory!

He was having fun poking at the Amazon Sword lol

And I got my Dwarf Hairgrass in the other day!! So that went right into Ditto's tank! I was quite excited! I got more than I expected which was great so some of it went into the 10 as well, not sure how it will do but we'll see! I have to upgrade the light on Ditto's tank since I think it's only a 5,000K and I want a 6,500K on that for sure. It's difficult to find a T5 in 6,500K though lol At least in places like Home Depot, I can get them online though.

I added API Root Tabs, 3 halves are distributed in that tank.

And the 10 gallon, I don't think much changed other than me pushing the terracotta pot down and adding some hairgrass up front to it. Also has some root tabs here as well and I dose SeaChem Flourish. I think I'm going to try some Excel though with some further research at least

And that's all for tonight. I be tired so night night folks!