Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #651 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah he's fine when the tank lights go out, it's just when lights are on because of the reflection, it's happened to every Betta who's been in that tank for longer than a week but he should be fine. He hasn't blown out his fins in over seven months or so, so I think he'll survive flaring. I am wondering though if he's doing it when I'm not home or just when I am home.

Oh crud....I just forgot some frozen brine shrimp I had left to thaw about two hours ago....I wonder if it's still good....whoops...
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #652 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So today's been interesting! Came home to mom's after we had a hayride and dinner at my grandpa's (the good one ^_^) and found out that my little brother (18) had tried to feed Selkie, well he just wanted to hear her eat since they're all fascinated with hearing her crunch....well he kind of just tipped the container in and I found about 25-30 leftover pellets on the bottom and who knows how many she ate. So there go my efforts on making her not look like a fat harbor seal again, she's bigger than she was last time but this time it's all in the stomach, not the ovaries >.< she's also in the process of reabsorbing her egg's so she's extremely lethargic right now and fat. Just did a 100% change on the tank to make sure I got all the pellets out and told him not to do that. Also told everyone not to feed her tomorrow.

That's the issue with having a pet in the common area of the house >.< I can't control everything that goes on! Sigh...oh well, they know now.

I also went to my LFS to chat with the guy's there and I needed something more for this horrible algae issue I've been having and they have baby pleco bushy-nose there! So I got a yellow one (not albino, has yellow eyes not red) for 2.99, eh, could have been 1.99 but w/e I know they're good fish. They're babies from one of the brother's mated pair of bushy nose, he's also apparently got a pair of yellow's with blue eyes! I would love to see them for sure!

So the baby pleco went into Tony's part of the divided tank and I'm hoping that Tony won't kill him >.< they're basically the same size but Tony also took down a shrimp twice his size as well as an Endler soooo I really hope the baby will be okay. I'm going to go check tomorrow after I hit a yard sale that has a bunch of old tanks and equipment/decor for sale! I hope they have some good stuff left!

But after Tony's side is partially cleaned or I get the snails from bambijarvis, I'll move the pleco to Steve and then Hawkeye's side and eventually she'll go into the 33 to clean that out and it depends on what's happening in that tank if I keep her or give her back to my LFS.

Jarvis has found (will be shipped out Tuesday) a home with PetMania ^_^ and Mercury is still looking for a home! He'd be a beautiful DT to breed for sure! He's less than a year I'm sure, or just getting to around a year. He's partially EE, larger than normal pecs that are fully colored. He doesn't have any spinal issues or issues that normal DT's have, his first few ray's are nice a long. The only down side is that he has spiky fins but that could be balanced out with the right girl! He's Copper Dragonscale DT partial EE lol

He also makes a wonderful pet, bad to house with other fish though, very territorial. He's very interactive though and loves to watch everyone and everything. So just need to pay shipping which is 10 bucks!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #653 
Elsewhere

That's awesome about Jarvis! And get me a 20 long at that yard sale
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #654 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I just had a wonderful amazingly awesome idea!!

Sooooo I still have a 29 gallon down in my basement right now that I keep forgetting about! I have to test it to make sure it can hold water but I'm pretty sure it can, just a little bit of the edge glass is chipped in places but not terrible! Soooo, I was thinking about how I was going to do my mini sorority and house my males. The tank stand I have holds both 20 long and 29 soo....that means I have have two!

So now I'm thinking, I'll divide the 20 long for the 5 males and place that on the bottom shelf and then I want to split the 29 so that I have roughly 10 gallons of space and then the rest of the 19 gallons, I can do either a nice shrimp tank with some nano fish or do something else, not sure what else yet. I definitely want that to be straight up NPT though and the 20 long will be Eco-Complete.

I really like Red Rili shrimp and they will do best in my water parameter's here so I'm thinking those and some sort of Nano fish. I really like Bumblebee Gobies and maybe I'll get one or two because my LFS has them! And then get some Chili Rasbora or something so that will keep the shrimp population down for the most part but they won't eat the adult shrimp. I plan on this being a fully planted and stable tank before that all goes down though.

I might give the girls actually 12 gallons roughly just to make sure and all that they have enough horizontal space as well as vertical space.

What do y'all think about that? Or is it too much?

My other plan would be to have the 20 long on top and then fit the bottom with a board and just have a 10 gallon for the sorority and my old 5.5 for a nano tank.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #655 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsewhere View Post
That's awesome about Jarvis! And get me a 20 long at that yard sale
If they have one, I'm TOTALLY grabbing it! lol, If I could ship to Canada, I would
Old 10-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #656 
Elsewhere

How is Spunds even a word? What even arm brace? XD SOUNDS like a great plan! And it would save a bunch of room if it did work I need someone around here to sell a cheap 20, LOL!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #657 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol, at first I was like, Spunds? what the heck is she talking about? arm brace? Ooooohhhh! lol got it ^_^ yeah, I've worn wrist braces before and I know doing anything, let alone typing is difficult enough! lol but yeah, I'm hoping that yard sale has a nice cheap twenty long so I don't have to spend 34 dollars to get a new one I'm perfectly happy with used tanks! In fact most of my tanks are used! The 33 is used, 29 is used, my Marineland 3 gallon is used, the 1.5 gallon Selkie is in right now is used!

The only things new are the two 5.5's which one was given to me anyway, my 10, the Tetra cube 3 and then just the KK 3 and 1. The Aqueon 2.5 and 1 which I'm throwing out soon since I accidentally ruined it with bleach...whoops. And then I just have some plasticware laying around for QT stuffs ^_^
Old 10-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #658 
Elsewhere

Really, 34 bucks? Here the tank itself is like 25 and then a lid or a light is around 60, which is stupid and expensive!
Old 10-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #659 
PetMania

Yay! Thanks lil. I can't wait to see him. I'll post a picture when I get him into his tank.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #660 
dramaqueen
Banned

Jarvis is going to have a wonderful home with PetMania. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote