betta fish

Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #61 
Viva

Omg I hate when that happens :(
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #62 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So frustrating!! Anyway what I was saying is about my lights. I recently went to Wal-Mart and Home Depot down the road to get a small 5.5 clamp on light, two straight CFL's at 10W and 6,500K and one T12 20W 6,500K for the 33. The clamp on and one CFL are replacing Remmy's LED lights which were so dim now that I replaced his light! I'm actually afraid I'm going to make him go blind o.O I need more floaters! lol

Then the tube went to the 33, doesn't make it as bright as I'd like it to but that kind of happens when you've got a ginormous water sprite floating on top! But all plants are doing very well right now! Swords have perked up since the root tabs, microswords are sort of growing (they're actually growing in my 10 which I find weird but awesome! since it's a dinky LED light) anyway, so since I didn't know how old that last tube was, I figured I'd replace it anyway since it wasn't great anyway!

The thing I find awesome about the light strip that came with the 33 is that it was "Tested by Deanna" which is my named spelled wrong lol for all that want to know, my name is De'Anna and isn't pronounced like normal Deanna anyway, fun facts of the day XD

So then the last 10W CFL went on the 5.5 and holy mackerel! I can see my babies!!!! lol I'm very pleased with how it lights up the whole tank

Then I'm on the hunt for a T5 9inch tube for Jarvis's 3 gallon because only God knows how old that bulb is! I've had it for 8 months and it was given to me by my mom who found it at a yardsale used so...yeah I'm sure it's old enough.

And I've been looking into DIY lighting strips for my 10 gallon and so I want to actually build one for that along with a glass lid of some sort. I'd buy the canopies but they're so expensive

Same with the 33, looking to build a lid for that as well since it's so oddly shaped. I've tried looking for 33 gallon flat back hexagon lids but they don't come up with much and most of them aren't being made any more >< ugggg the pains of getting an awesome tank free lol I kid, I kid!

So that was my update for the day, also Steve one of the babies is totally dwarfing Tony at the moment....Tony needs to catch up and grow darn it!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:59 PM   #63 
Viva

Dang it must suck having to find a hood for that tank :( Canopies are waaay expensive, I'm thinking about building one for my new tank but not sure yet. I'm waiting for my new lights that I ordered online too. Your name is so pretty...is it pronounced "Day-Ah-na"? And lol at the names Steve and Tony! Where did you come up with those lol?
Old 07-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #64 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Seriously! Like, why is a piece of glass that sits on top of your tank so expensive?? It makes no sense!!! >.<

And thank you! My parents are Trekkie's and so they named me after Deanna Troi and therefore I am inheritantly a Trekkie haha. It's actually more like De-On-ah, it's not the regular Anna but takes on more of an "on" sound lol if that makes sense. So the De part is still De or D and then just the last part is pronounced differently.

Annnd....can't tell if being facetious at Steve and Tony's names or really asking lol
Old 07-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #65 
Viva

No I was serious lol. I love when fish are named after people's names.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #66 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oooh okay lol Actually they're named after Steve Rogers and Tony Stark because I'm that nerd you know it's super funny too because they act so much like their namesake characters! Steve is now twice the size of Tony and seems to metabolize his food twice as quick as well. Tony had issues with SBD when he was younger so I don't think that helped in his growth. I've also labeled them as boyfriends lol

When they were younger I had them in a split 1 gallon critter keeper for the time being and they seemed to enjoy it, Tony couldn't enjoy much because of his SBD. But then one week I tried to separate them and both of them lost all their color and moped around the tank, I'd never seen a fish be so depressed like that before! So I quickly got them into the split 3 gallon together and wow what a difference! They both colored up instantly when they saw each other so I decided then they were boyfriends and couldn't stand to be away from each other!

Besides I'm a regular Stony shipper anyway, of course you'd only understand what that means if you've delved into the world of tumblr haha I'm one of those crazy people eh, besides it's truth! In one of Marvel's alternate universes they had Tony as Natasha Stark, a woman and they ended up getting married! So there, all other points are invalid lol

But anyway, their personalities really match as well, Steve doesn't like to sit still, grew much faster, already taking pellets, he's also blue and red, he's only missing white lol

Tony is black with red fins and blue irid on them so far, he's also very prissy and can eat pellets but doesn't seem to like the way they taste so he still takes the crushed flakes.

Here's Steve:

And Tony

And them flaring ^_^

They've actually grown quite a bit since these photos so I'm going to have to sit down and take some more photos now that they have a decent light!!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #67 
TheOnlyCanvas

If I'm not mistaken... Steve and Tony from the Avengers, right?
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #68 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyCanvas View Post
If I'm not mistaken... Steve and Tony from the Avengers, right?
Just answered, yup!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #69 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Actually all/most of my Betta names are from Marvel, the only ones who aren't are; Rembrandt, Ditto, Cherry, Little Blue, Pineapple, Jewel and Matisse. But all the others are from Marvel!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #70 
Viva

Oh yeah I remember you mentioned that lol. My bad. It just reminded me of the episode in Family Guy where Mayor West was shooting his "cat gun" and one was named Paul. He made a big deal about it.