Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #731 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thanks Unicorn! Yeah, 73 pages is a lot to read lol. When I read journals that I didn't sub to in the beginning I tend to just look at the pretty pictures and sort of read the text if it looks interesting haha. Soooo kudos to you as well for reading more than I would!

Yeah, I really do blame my grandfather for the downfall of my sorority or at least most of it. If he didn't turn off my lights, inadvertently killing off my plants, the girls wouldn't have been so stressed out but with stress comes disease and that's why you have to be really careful with sororities. I definitely suggest NPT with sorority so you have more stable plantlife, root tabs can only get you so far. It's fine if you've got like, water wisteria and java fern but for other plants, NPT is certainly the way to go! And always QT no matter, absolutely NO MATTER what you think! I also learned that the hard way, thinking I was smart and being completely ignorant to what I was doing.

But yeah I'm pretty much there with you, I know so much more about my fish than I do for Art History (not that that particularly is my major, I just am Art) so yeah, sad lol. But hey, that's a hobby! And this is a darn good hobby! and a profession if you can get into it more

So today was a busy day, had breakfast with mom, mom's bf and little bro. Went to church, came home and had to go back to dad's so that my friend could pick me up to attend Smoker. So I'm in the music Fraternity and we have rush events to get new people to join, Smoker is our formal event where we all dress up nicely and we have (usually, this year was a bit different where we had lunch) breakfast or brunch and basically we really get to know each other, talk, laugh and have a good time. We split into groups and the PM's (potential members) are also split into groups of 2 or 3, this year each group was of 2 since we had 6. Then they go around to each "station" of active members and we do a mini meet and greet, get to know them better on a more personal level for 15-20 minutes. Generally questions are like, what's your major, what's something that no one knows about you/fun fact and why are you interested in KKPsi? So that was all good and fun, lasted about three hours since we didn't have the food prepared on time so we were cooking the first hour lol.

Then the PM's would go back to their dorms/houses and the brothers (us) would discuss and meet. So that went for another solid three hours as usual. Regular meetings usually only last like an hour, at least for us

So went home, Pip and the new girl are doing well although still very much flaring at each other and pecking through the mesh. I just hope they don't try to kill each other >.> Mystique is losing strength but I didn't want to separate her yet but I also don't want her eaten so I'm not sure what to do about that yet. I just hope she lasts until like Tuesday or something so I can properly take her in to dissect. But everyone else seems to be good, babies are still growing well, Rembrandt split his ventral fin but healing well. He's flaring at the tank walls quite a bit and I'm a little concerned for him but he's not blowing out his fins so I think he'll be fine.

Selkie is doing well, she's sitting next to me begging for attention lol. She's slimmed down a little since the food incident >.< hoping she'll continue to slim, I hate Betta's who are overly fat all the time because then it's hard to tell if they've got issues or not and they're just fat.....so yeah, hoping she slims down more.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #732 
jadaBlu

You could could get a quart food container and float it in the sorority to keep Mystique in sight of the sorority. These sites are sometimes helpful in figuring out what's making fish sick and the treatment:

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com...th-dropsy.html

http://www.gbasonline.org/disease_chart.htm

http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/fis...l_changes.html

You can try talking to the fish vet at this pharmacy. Bear in mind while they treat other fish they seem to have a focus on goldfish. So they might steer you in the right direction but you will want to research further to be sure the treatment is betta appropriate.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #733 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, I have larger food containers for QT stuff but I guess I'm just lazy which obviously isn't a good thing. But thanks for the links anyway.

Chart was cute, I like they added "Plant's Die" among other, sort of silly things lol. Made me giggle at least since I really don't consider that to be a disease or illness.

And considering I've used KanaPlex before with minimal results, I know it's some form of bacteria, most likely a columnaris strain but either way, it didn't eliminate my issue. I've been recommended other medications but currently I'm struggling with money. I still have to buy my art suppplies for school! My professors are about ready to kill me since we're more than half way through the semester and I still don't have my stuff.

I finally figured out why I wasn't getting my tuition waiver though, apparently there's some stupid new law and form that my mom and I have to get Notarized....not even just sign but full fledged notarized! So we did that yesterday, today going back to enrollment services to make them accept my waiver so I can hopefully get money by the end of this week! Also have to get my dental plan stamped by the school because apparently I'm not covered unless I'm going to school which is weird because I'm pretty sure that all insurances stop covering when I'm 24, I still have three more years before that hits.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #734 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So today was pretty relaxing which is nice, my usual work in the morning with the van's and then just my two classes. Came home, mom gave me 10 dollars to go get my tires mounted. So I just went and turns out that (we bought the tires from the same place) that one of the tires we bought had a broken bead which you can't use to drive on. So he gave me a refund of 20 dollars for the tire but since I was getting two mounted anyway (took off the old one and put it back on, so technically is still mounted and it's still work so I wasn't going to stiff him out of that. Besides it's a family run business) which costs 10 dollars, he gave me back a 10 so I actually came home with 20 dollars rather than zero which feels pretty darn good! lol

I kind of hope mom will let me keep the twenty so I can put it in for gas but we'll see, her and John (her bf) are taking a nap right now so I'm not going to disturb them

Not much fish related today, Selkie is doing well and still looks like a fat harbor seal lol. I can't wait to set up that 29 so I can get the new sorority going and let the old one peter out I'm hoping that the Ram's stay uneffected so that I could potentially give them away if they are uneffected by the disease. I know they can still carry it though, at least I'm sure of it. But columnaris lurks in the water column either way, they're either effected by it or not, usually depending heavily upon stress levels. Since the Ram's aren't stressed (obviously) they do not carry the disease, assuming again that this is columnaris.

Oh yeah, and I buggered Financial Affairs about my tuition waiver, turns out the lady isn't here today but will be here tomorrow and so we wrote a note and hopefully she can start processing it tomorrow and I should have it at least by next week at the latest! THANK THE FREAKING LORD! I need money! I am thankful though, for my job because otherwise I would not be attending school and that can't happen!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #735 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

OMG, I just ran my toe over with the pallet jack....FML FML FMLFMLFML! My toe is going to be bruised for a month! Holy crap it hurts so bad!

On a good note my boss came back today after being on vacation which was actually just, he was home but his brother and his family came to visit from Holland so Nasir took the time to be with him. He told me all about it today how they went to the Providence Place Mall and then went to the Mystic Aquarium the next day and it was so much fun lol.

But he thanked me for being a big help today and that he appreciated me! I'll keep that tucked away and hold on to that comment for a day when he's not so happy and I'll have to remind myself that he does appreciate me, just doesn't always show it It's a good day, other than stubbing my darn toe!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #736 
BettaLover1313

Ouch!!! I can't imagine how bad that must have hurt! Glad to hear that your boss showed his appreciation :D
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #737 
dramaqueen
Banned

Ouchhhhh!!!!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #738 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, didn't hurt as long as I thought it was going to lol. Didn't bruise either so that's nice seeing how I have to march a football game this Saturday.....I've already done it on a nearly broken ankle so I would like to NOT repeat that haha. But yeah, toe is feeling much better today

Oh and Mystique is still alive! Kind of surprising actually, she doesn't look good though.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #739 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Did a nice 30% water change on the 33 yesterday when I had the time. Did all my other tanks except for the 5.5 and the black ct's 3 gallon but I'll get to them on Saturday after my football game. Mystique is still alive but her mouth is rotting more and she just looks horrible. I think I'll separate her today and let her float in a container until she passes or I deem fit.

I also changed the tank around a little, got rid of some dead/dying plants and trimmed up the lily, took out one piece of driftwood as well and will let that sun dry so I can eventually sell it It was just too crowded with all that driftwood lol. I like how the tank is now.

When I get home we're going grocery shopping but I'll see if I can get pictures, I've been slacking on those lately, haven't I?!

Oh Pip and his gf are doing great as well, fully colored up and with a healthy appetite to boot!

Mercury still needs a loving home!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #740 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That sounds great! I'm glad Mystique is still hanging in there.

When you sell the driftwood, make sure you let the buyer know that it came from a tank with disease...
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote