Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #81 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Yeah I know what you mean I hate doing water changes with my 4 gallon bucket. Filling up the 28 gallon was a pain lol. Lots of spilled water too :( ...do you need more water changes with a CO2 system? I might not use it and just use Seachem Excel since I have a bottle already.
Not that I know of, but you have to refill the CO2 every week on a DIY if you mix your own solution. If you use the CO2 canisters well you need to replace them when they run out but water change schedule is just the same.

I was just talking about how I'm not keeping up with the weekly changes on the 33 right now, so how would I keep up with the weekly mixtures of CO2 that's needed? that's all.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #82 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Doggies!!!

So this is Junior the little Yorkie Terrier.

Roxsy stole his cushion lol

Here's Polly! She's got a kind of funky eye but otherwise is very spunky, she's a year younger than Roxsy but they both share the same parents, just one litter apart

Posing for me

Roxsy being a doll

She was watching the fish tank in the big tank which is next to me.

So this was the fish tank as it was before, complete with crummy, icky, disgusting blech on the bottom and in the gravel

And this is how it is now! It's not exactly how I wanted it since the HOB filter kind of was in the way of what I really wanted to do which was build up more gravel on the left side of the tank which is closest to the TV which means that from the couch on the right side of the tank, you can see more of the actual tank. But I wanted to build it up more so that the driftwood with the anubias on it was higher than the other three. Then hold it in with the extra slate pieces she's got in there. I've got one out front that's hold the front in and then behind it is a smaller piece of brown slate with a smaller anubias growing on it.

I wanted to make more of a diagonal effect from the back left corner to the right but since all the pieces of driftwood are on flat pieces of slate....I couldn't move it much more >.> I really hate those things and all the driftwood is falling apart now, not sure what to do about that. I'd like to upgrade some of the driftwood but for now, if she gives me permission to continue scaping for her, I want to get some Jungle Val in the back for starters and see if DHG will work out front in the right corner to start with. This beautiful tank deserves more!!

So front view, this is how it looked this morning after four more hours of work last night. Now it's all settled and looking much better.

From the left side, you can see the hex tank across the room lol

And from the right side

So my question to you all, does it look any better? And anything I can move slightly to make it look a little more...lively? It looks better and more full in real life than the pictures make it to be, but oh well

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 07-11-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #83 
Viva

Looks great, what do you mean by icky blech at the bottom lol? I think it looked fine before too. I can't wait til I get a good job so I can afford a house or bigger apartment where I have a yard so I can get a big dog. I want a Dobbie :D
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #84 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Looks great, what do you mean by icky blech at the bottom lol? I think it looked fine before too.
I was talking about the mulm and detritus at the bottom of the tank. if you look at the pictures from the other day, you see where the glass had tainted from the poop in the gravel. You could see where it was clear where I had changed and cleaned it and the rest was still icky.

That tank hadn't had a gravel cleaning in over a year, it took me 8 hours of gravel siphoning to clean it and honestly it could use another 4 hours but I'm done lifting water over my head >.< at least for this week.

Idk, before it looked boring. Perhaps it's because I've seen it like that for over 3 months now and I know they've never touched it and I'm partial to hills/not flat substrates so that's why I built it up in the corner on the left side. When it's left flat like it was before, it just looks so boring and plain to me. I'm sure there are places out in the wild where it is flat on the bottom, but for the most part you're going to come across ridges and rolls in the substrate and I like the wild look personally.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #85 
Viva

Oh I didn't really notice the poo lol. I actually just siphoned my 10 gallon planted tank and took the corydoras out to put them in the new 29 gallon and all my crypt plants melted away :( I think I may have over cleaned it. Also I heard if you disturb the mulm too much at once some of the fish and stuff can get sick and die...pretty sure I lost a few Amano shrimp because I had 7 and now only can find 5 :(

I'm annoyed by my flat bottomed tanks too so I created a little hill on top of a larger cichlid cave for the corydoras in the new 29 gallon. The betta girls like it too, but only the brave ones because its PITCH BLACK in there.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #86 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I know, that's why I didn't move as much as I wanted to. I also siphoned with the least amount of disturbance as I could and only did 4 hours at a time. I'd like to do another cleaning today but I don't think my body can take the abuse anymore lol

Either way, that tank is a hell of a lot healthier than it was for those fish before! The only one who seemed to be effected by it was the Pleco who was just angry that I took the cave away from him for a while but now he's happy and hiding again. The two plant masses on the side also help him out in letting him hide different places. The owner was annoyed at the pleco because it never came out during the day. Well I don't blame that pleco! There were literally no places for him to hide before and all plecos love to hide. But anyway....
Old 07-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #87 
BettaLover1313

Your tank looks very nice! Glad to hear that your Pleco is happy that he can hide all he wants!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #88 
BettaLover1313

Love the pictures of your dogs btw! They're all very cute!
Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #89 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

BettaLover, they aren't my dogs and that's not my tank either. It's just a lady that I'm pet-sitting for but I'll tell her that you like them

I would never own a dog. ever. I find that I really can't stand them and these guys are NOT trained whatsoever so I get jumped on, licked on, and ran over by them. I like my cats, cats are where it's at lol but hey, it's money so I'll deal with the dogs
Old 07-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #90 
BettaLover1313

My bad, I thought they were yours ^^'

Not trained dogs definitely aren't fun to deal with, especially when they're someone else's. Cats are nice, especially when they're lying in your lap!