Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #1 
Kim

I got my first female betta!!

She is a shimmery turquoise color with copper ventrals . Soooo cute and tiny! And I love the way she swims, because it's different than the males with the long fins, but in a girlie cute way. She's real shy right now, but she already figured out that I mean food so she comes when she sees me.

I think the girlies are more stressy than the boys though just from some observations. In the store the males all looked ok, but the females....they all had stress stripes, and just looked generally clamped and unhappy (duh, those cups are tiny and cold!). My little girl is stretching out her fins now, but she still has a slight stress stripe which is definitely taking longer to go away than any of my male's did (it has gotten way better though). Oh well, she'll adjust eventually, I'm sure she's happy to have more swimming room, good food, and clean water! She's really curious too and likes to look down into the 10 gallon to the side of her. She even blew one tiny bubble when I was watching her . Silly girl.

Right now she's in QT which is a probably 4 gallon critter keeper clamped so that it floats in my empty 29 gallon. That way it's heated (my real QT is full) and I don't have to buy a whole new setup. After QT I'm moving her into half of my divided 10 gallon permanently.

Pictures will come soon because she's still really timid and I don't want to stress her out. My parents think I'm crazy because I refused to let them come see her after lights out in my room/tanks .
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Congrats on the new betta! :) Females are fun and have great personalities. She'll be zipping around all over the place when she gets adjusted to her new home. :) Do you have a name for her yet? Did you ever name the new guy? She sounds beautiful and I can't wait to see pics. :) I'm so excited for you!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 PM   #3 
Nudist

congrats on the new baby, i know she will love her new home very much.

Steve
Nudist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #4 
jeaninel

Can't wait to see a pic of her. At my LFS they have a whole tank of females and I love to just stare at them all. There are so many colors to choose from. I think the females are just as pretty as the males.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

My next one will be another female. :)
Old 02-17-2009, 11:11 AM   #6 
fishyinpa

Congrats! I dont see many females my way. Wonder why....at petsmart i always see males but rarely females...i think a female would be awesome! Well have fun with your new fishy!
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I went to Petsmart today and they had some pretty females. Usually the ones they have are kind of dull looking.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #8 
Livelifelaughlove

our petco usually has half half...

god luck! i wanna see pics when she gets a little more situated!
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM   #9 
Kim

I have some pictures, granted they're not the best. I didn't put the light up for that tank yet, so this is just with the room lighting. She seems to like me, because she spreads out all her fins when I walk near. Still a little stressy though, but adjusting well. So here she is!

Name:  IMG_0130.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  25.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0132.JPG
Views: 79
Size:  95.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0133.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  71.4 KB

I may name her Dizzle, it's a joke with my friends at school and it sounds kind of cute.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #10 
Livelifelaughlove

what i can tell of her is very pretty! i like the name to. good luck with her!

I was worried that surimi (kinda same coloring) would freak with the flash, but he completely ignored the flash, didn't dart or anything. lol, he even posed
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote