Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #1 
BettaPrincess13

Betta fish eating plants?

I just did a water change a few hours ago and while I was pouring the new water the water wisteria floated to the top. once I was done I put the plants back into the gravel. I noticed him swim up to one and try to eat the roots which I quickly took and put back. also after I was done a lot of plant pieces that came off while they had uprooted where floating around. as I was netting out the floating leaves and roots and other pieces that were floating around I saw him go and eat the plant pieces and tried to nipple on the leaves (even the dead ones!) I scooped everything out but is it ok for him to be ingesting all that? will it harm him? I feed him 2 to 3 pellets a day so he's not a starved fish :/

he's also trying to eat the bubbles that are on the decor?

Last edited by BettaPrincess13; 06-25-2013 at 09:25 PM.
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #2 
BettaFran

It won't hurt him. But 2-3 pellets per day doesn't sound like enough. How does he look? Does he look flat when you look at him from the top, or is he nice and rounded but not bloated out? He may be biting at plants and air bubbles cuz he thinks they might be more pellets. ;)
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #3 
sainthogan

My female eats her plants all the time and she's fine. Don't worry about it. They will try to eat just about anything just to see if it's food, especially if they aren't getting enough to eat, so don't worry about him trying to eat the bubbles either. I would feed 2-3 pellets twice a day instead of once, you may find that he quits trying to eat non-food items (unless yours is like my female and likes vegetation.)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #4 
BettaPrincess13

He's round but not bloated round from the head to the mid body then thins out but still has shape from mid body to tail.

it might be that I'm not feeding him a lot. the first week and half I had him he was battling a parasite which he was able to pass but for that whole almost 2 weeks he never ate. now that he started eating Ive only been serving him 2 to 3 pellets a day. at the beginning of his recovery he only would eat one. then it was two and now I give him no more than 3 because i'm afraid of overfeeding him cause someone said their stomach is the size of their eye.

how often should I feed my betta fish? maybe 2 to 3 twice a day instead of once? it might be that he gained an appetite after recovery? I see him searching the gravel for food but I figured it was because they don't know when to stop eating and I thought if I gave into his begging that I would accidentally overfeed him
Old 06-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #5 
sainthogan

Try 2-3 twice a day and see how he does, if he looks over fed, feed him 1-2 pellets twice a day. And don't give in to his begging, twice a day with an occasional snack in between (1 or 2 times a week) is plenty.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 AM   #6 
BettaFran

I concur with sainthogan. Let us know how he does.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #7 
BettaPrincess13

thanks for the advice Bettafran and Sainthogan!! (: I just fed him 3 pellets. their fairly big (the NLS pellets) and he finished them real quick so I probably was underfeeding him. I'll keep watch and see how he does with me feeding him twice a day instead of one time. if he does better I'll start feeding him twice a day I just don't want to overfeed so ill keep watch of any bloating etc. and I'll fast him one day which I'll make a saturday since Im at work usually until midnight :/ when you fast them is it the whole day? both feedings?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #8 
sainthogan

Yes it's for both feedings. I don't fast my female because she eats her plants if I even skip one feeding. I fast my male because he's prone to constipation and swim bladder issues.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #9 
BettaFran

A lot of folks fast their bettas the whole day and then next day feed 1/4 of a blanched frozen pea. (nuke one frozen pea for ~20sec in water. Take off skin then cut half of it in half. Cut that quarter bit into bite size bits and feed one bit at a time). My guy is still young so I just skip one meal.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #10 
sainthogan

I was told by a very respected member who used to be a moderator on this board that peas can actually cause more harm than good and can mess up their digestive tracts and potentially cause worse bloating. I tried it before I was told this, and even though my female is a plant eater, she won't eat peas.
Just thought I'd pass along a little tidbit of information from other members.