Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #1 
shushcat

Owners of pastel bettas

...Have you noticed your once-gorgeous pastel darkening in spots into something kind of...not gorgeous?

Like my betta's fins have morphed into some kind of mottled blue/white, while dark gold/brown splotches have appeared on his face within the last month or two. He darkened within a week of having him (I thought he was white at first, but he turned out to be a cream), but I didn't think he'd change colors again - and so ugly ughhh (sorry the kraken i love you don't read this).

It's been almost 4 months.

I don't think he's a marble since it's just been individual spots, which is why I'm concerned! The tank has finally finished cycling and is stable, so I don't think it's any kind of poisoning (which I was afraid of before). I just don't know!

Any pastel owners encounter this?
shushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #2 
Laki

Sounds like a marble to me. Do you have pics?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #3 
Seki

I never had that happen to my pastel pink. I agree, it sounds like you've got a marble on your hands and you didn't know it. ^_^ Marbles are soooo much fun to watch!

I'm sorry you don't like what he's changing into, though. It's no fun when you get a fish because you like its color, then it changes on you! I picked out my current marble because I knew he was a marble and I wanted to see him change. But if you're not expecting it, that could be kinda rough.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #4 
RowdyBetta

That never happened to my pastel boy. I agree with the above posts - sounds like a marble. :3
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #5 
OrangeAugust

Sounds like a marble. My pastel boy got some black markings on him after a few months. just like a little sprinkling of black on his body, two small spots on his anal fin, and the rays of his pectoral fins turned black. So he marbled, but not majorly, and it only happened once.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #6 
shushcat

I had no idea exactly HOW MUCH the Kraken had changed in four months!

When I first got him! Note how light he is, especially in his eyes. His head has orange on it, but they were just splotches then. There's hint of where he's coloring, but it looks more prominent because he's so white.

About three months ago! His eyes are still relatively light, and while his orange splotches seem paler, it's because his body has darkened into a nice cream. His fins are still pale blue.

This morning! It's not the best of images, but you can see how orange his head is now as well as where he's turning a dark gold in spots. It almost looks like he has acne I noticed a couple months ago that HALF of his eye had changed to that dark gold, but now they're both dark.

The other image from this morning! His fins are so much darker, and he's been developing a more vibrant red at the ends of his fins all around. The blue in his fins isn't solid, but it's darkening. I didn't realize it until I compared that first picture, but his fins have gotten so long!

He was pastel before, but maybe I can't call him that anymore!
shushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #7 
RowdyBetta

Wow he's beautiful!
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

Yup he's marble and I have fish that have colored this way. Not the same color but they do have the orangy colors on the head and body along with their other colors.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #9 
Laki

Aw wow. I'm sorry I don't live closer to you so I could take him for you since you don't think he's as pretty as before!! If anything, in my eyes he looks better now :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote