Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #1 
thisismydesign
Member
 
thisismydesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Fin-Safe Fake Plants?

Ok, so I heard that plastic plants may rip the fins of my bettas and that silk plants are better.

I currently don't have a lot of money to spend on restocking my decorations. I have one real amazon sword and the rest are fake plastic.

These pictures were taken from before I got the sword plant but all of the plastic plants are still there except for the large one in front in the second picture. That one broke.




Are any of these at least ok? Which ones are the least likely to cause fin damage?

I'm going to hopefully splitting my tank in two soon so I can keep both of my bettas in it, but I don't want to leave it bare. So if even a few of these are alright for the time being I'd like to keep them in until I can add silk ones.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 PM   #2 
Seki
Member
 
Seki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
I tend to stay away from plastic plants after my previous crowntail ripped a chunk out of his anal fin on a plastic plant. Never again... only silk or live plants for me.

What is "not a lot"? Could you afford $20 or less? If so...
http://www.amazon.com/Vibran-Sea-Flo...ds=silk+plants
http://www.amazon.com/Vibran-Sea-Afr...ds=silk+plants
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Marina-P...ds=silk+plants
http://www.amazon.com/Vibran-Sea-Flo...ds=silk+plants
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Ecoscape...ds=silk+plants

Any and all of those would be great for your fishy friends~
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 AM   #3 
thisismydesign
Member
 
thisismydesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
I tend to stay away from plastic plants after my previous crowntail ripped a chunk out of his anal fin on a plastic plant. Never again... only silk or live plants for me.

What is "not a lot"? Could you afford $20 or less? If so...
http://www.amazon.com/Vibran-Sea-Flo...ds=silk+plants
http://www.amazon.com/Vibran-Sea-Afr...ds=silk+plants
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Marina-P...ds=silk+plants
http://www.amazon.com/Vibran-Sea-Flo...ds=silk+plants
http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Ecoscape...ds=silk+plants

Any and all of those would be great for your fishy friends~
With having to buy at least one divider for the time being I'm thinking of $10 or less...so that means only one or two plants since most are above $5

I'll look at these links you gave though
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #4 
thisismydesign
Member
 
thisismydesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I can't find a job so spending more then $15 on everything (shipping included) is just a no for right now.

I wish I knew of somewhere that sold $2 ones, used or new I don't care.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #5 
thisismydesign
Member
 
thisismydesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
WAIT! I found a place!

The stuff on clearance I can afford!!

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-Plants.aspx
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #6 
thisismydesign
Member
 
thisismydesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Now I need a fin safe ornament or two. What I have now may not be so...yeah
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:47 AM   #7 
Seki
Member
 
Seki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Any theme ideas for ornaments? I could maybe point you in the direction of a few~

Also, what size is this tank?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #8 
thisismydesign
Member
 
thisismydesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
Any theme ideas for ornaments? I could maybe point you in the direction of a few~

Also, what size is this tank?
It's a 10 gallon that I'm going to divide in two for my adult betta and my baby. For themes...Asian for the adult (Mushu) and...maybe a skull or something like that for Gill Graham (named after Will Graham from Hannibal)
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #9 
Taeanna
Reference Team
 
Taeanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Newcastle Australia
A cheap and rather snazzy option I use for my tanks are to use tea light oil burners- the kind that you use to burn scented oils.

They are sold in junk stores, are ceramic, can be very decorative and double as betta-safe caves. I know others sometimes use colorful ceramic mugs and similar.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #10 
thisismydesign
Member
 
thisismydesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeanna View Post
A cheap and rather snazzy option I use for my tanks are to use tea light oil burners- the kind that you use to burn scented oils.

They are sold in junk stores, are ceramic, can be very decorative and double as betta-safe caves. I know others sometimes use colorful ceramic mugs and similar.
Ooo~ Those are good ideas. I like the oil burner one. I have one that I love in my room, but it doesn't have big enough holes.

I'll keep looking for cheaper decorations, but I will definitely keep this in mind.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you mix fake plants with real plants? jadaBlu Planted Betta Tanks 3 06-22-2013 07:47 AM
Safe Fake Plants labloverl Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 2 06-25-2012 07:20 PM
Fake plants that aren't fin-rippers? Zappity Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 4 02-11-2012 09:15 AM
Low Light Plants or Fake Plants? nintendobratkat Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 5 02-09-2012 09:42 AM
are fake plants alright or should i get live plants? jschristian44 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 7 01-09-2011 09:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.