Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 01:25 AM   #1 
tngirl92

Parli and Penfield: Things are going Swimmingly!

As many of you know, I adopted my male red and teal crowntail boy Parli back in March. He has been living in a heated, unfiltered 2.5 gallon since then. He really gave me the betta bug, and I have had a hankering for an orange fish for a while. I found a male orange veiltail with moderate fin rot at Walmart four days ago, and went back for him the day after I found him. I felt a special pull towards him, I guess. For the past two days, Penfield has been living in a 1.5 gallon unheated Critter Keeper, the poor boy. :( I figured it was better than the Walmart cup and it gave me the perfect opportunity to upgrade.

Parli has been moved to a divided ten gallon. He LOVES it! He is swimming around on his side exploring everything. I left Penfield's future home on the other side bare for now because I don't have everything I want to decorate with yet, but I wanted Parli to get used to the divider and his 5 gallons of space. The filter that came with my kit was faulty, so I will try to get a different one tomorrow.
I am feeling comfortable enough to cycle this tank with Parli in it. He has four live plants and all the gravel and water from his old tank. I will do partial water changes every two days while I monitor the levels.

Enjoying his new home:

Meanwhile, I moved Penfield to Parli's tank so he can finally enjoy toasty 78 degree water. He is being treated with Stress Coat and aquarium salt for his fin rot. As soon as the rot clears up and I am satisfied that he is otherwise disease-free, he will move in with Parli in the divided tank. Keep your fingers crossed!

Happy fishy:

I can finally sleep easy knowing that both of my betta boys are safe, warm, and on the mend!
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #2 
Dwarden3

Awesome! Hopefully Parli adjusts well... well hopefully, Parli will stop flaring at Penfield enough to get air. :D
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #3 
tngirl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden3 View Post
Awesome! Hopefully Parli adjusts well... well hopefully, Parli will stop flaring at Penfield enough to get air. :D
Parli is extremely aggressive. He was so upset when I cupped him for his move tonight. He loathes it. Penfield swam right into his cup. I am starting to notice that crowntails are typically more hyperactive and aggressive, whereas veiltails are one of the more mellow types. It's interesting to compare their little personalities!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #4 
Dwarden3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl92 View Post
Parli is extremely aggressive. He was so upset when I cupped him for his move tonight. He loathes it. Penfield swam right into his cup. I am starting to notice that crowntails are typically more hyperactive and aggressive, whereas veiltails are one of the more mellow types. It's interesting to compare their little personalities!

It would appear as though Parli does not have a little personality, more like a big personality. Luckily he cannot read, so he wont get mad at you for saying he is anything less than Great White he thinks he his.
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #5 
tngirl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden3 View Post
It would appear as though Parli does not have a little personality, more like a big personality. Luckily he cannot read, so he wont get mad at you for saying he is anything less than Great White he thinks he his.
I don't know...he probably can read. I don't put anything past that one.
Old 06-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #6 
Shadyr

It's really dependent on the fish. My recently passed Lavatail was a true hyper crowntail (his nickname was actually "Flareboy"), but my original CT Ghost is one of the chillest betta's I've ever seen. He is in a divided tank with my VT Redfish, and while they do flare, I've rarely seen them flare at each other (I do have some of the bigger plants at the divider on both sides to help break up Line of Sight). It's usually their own reflections that get flared at.

But anyway, both of your boys are lovely, and Pen looks like he is really happy to be out of that cup!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #7 
tngirl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyr View Post
It's really dependent on the fish. My recently passed Lavatail was a true hyper crowntail (his nickname was actually "Flareboy"), but my original CT Ghost is one of the chillest betta's I've ever seen. He is in a divided tank with my VT Redfish, and while they do flare, I've rarely seen them flare at each other (I do have some of the bigger plants at the divider on both sides to help break up Line of Sight). It's usually their own reflections that get flared at.

But anyway, both of your boys are lovely, and Pen looks like he is really happy to be out of that cup!
So interesting. Parli flares at every single thing anyway, so I don't see Penfield making a difference in that. xD Thank you for your kind words! I think he is really happy.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #8 
tngirl92

Quick update, Penfield built a beautiful bubble nest around his plant today! I came home from work and found it. He's very smart. :)