Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know if I want another veiltail. I think I'll stick with crowntails until I can find a halfmoon. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #22 
Kim

My water is too hard for crowntails so I can't have any :(
The closest is my combtail, but he's a rescue from school so I didn't actually choose him. But, he bites his tail off (not in a while so fingers crossed) so his rays have yet to develop again. Actually, the only time I've actually seen them is when my teacher first bought him! Poor little thing, I just say he's my emotionally damaged fish.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:43 AM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

I've heard that to keep a halfmoon's finnage nice, the water really needs to be kept very clean.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #24 
Kim

Probably true, my boy has actually blown a hole in his fin from flaring before, but it healed up nicely within a few days. They're also more prone to tears because of the long finnage, so I guess if your water wasn't nice and clean it could cause more problems for them.

The problem I have with crowntails is that the rays will curl in hard water. It doesn't happen with other tail types though, because the rays are connected.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:59 AM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

That would be my biggest concern; not being able to keep the water clean enough.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #26 
Livelifelaughlove

filter!
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #27 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, I know. lol Maybe if I get a halfmoon, I'll buy a proper tank with all the amenities for him. lol
Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #28 
Livelifelaughlove

Lol! well with the new tank, i may just leave sushi where he is and get a half-moon... depends... i still wanna steal kims!
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #29 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh, I know! Me too! lol If I was to get a halfmoon, I think I would have to look into a tank for it and I'd have to get all you guys to walk me through the cycling process! lol Going through all that work scares me. lol I'm afraid it would be more work than I could handle.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #30 
Kim

Haha, I just throw in some ammonia, test it, and leave it for a week or so then test again just so I'm sure that I'm not starving the bacteria once all the ammonia's gone. It's not that hard...well, except the waiting part lol!

I actually get neurotic when I'm using uncycled tanks (like the ones I've had to use to QT my new bettas). I'm like changing 50% of the water every few days and constantly checking ammonia despite the fact that they hold about 4 gallons apiece.

And no stealing my fish! Geesh, I'm going to have to fortify my room *hurries over to make sure all bettas are still there* and maybe train him to bite all intruders! Bettas...attack!