Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #1 
BettaEnamored

New female, she's HUGE!

This is my new female, a Walmart find of all places. I hate the way Walmart is with their fish, but there were only two left and the girl working said they were no longer going to stock bettas (they don't even have a fish section, these girls were in their cups in the dogfood aisle!). I knew females aren't nearly as popular so I snatched them up out of fear they'd just die at Walmart and get thrown away. *shudder*

What do you guys think about her? As a newbie here, I'm thinking her coloring is Cambodian and that she's a spade tail. What strikes me is how big she is for a female. Definitely the biggest I've seen in my area; I measured her to be a tad over 2.5". She dwarfs my other girl in body length and definitely fin size. I'm quite adoring of her. She's in a fully furnished carrier while I cycle her new tank. I'm doting on her and the other girl, being religious with water changes and giving live food and all that good stuff. She's super active and pretty aggressive- more than any other girl I've had. She always flares at the mirror and when I let her see the other girl in her tank. I'm thinking about calling her Hermione, as my friend's male that I'll be keeping for a while is a Harry, and I'm a dork like that.

(TL;DR) I'm new here and surprised at how big my female is- over 2.5"! Also would you classify her as a Cambodian color and spade tailed? She's big and super aggressive and I'm already attached!
Attached Images

Last edited by BettaEnamored; 06-26-2013 at 08:16 AM.
BettaEnamored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #2 
a123andpoof

She's beautiful. I'm kind of curious about what you would classify her as well. I have a walmart female who is is very big as well probably about the same size.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #3 
OrangeAugust

I have a female who is about 2 inches not including her fins. She looks large for a female, but she's the first fully-grown female I've had, and she's larger than all of the girls in my sorority (though I can tell most of them are young). She is also what I called a spade tail, but someone here told me it's not a true spade tail... and her tail looks similar to your fish's tail.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:25 AM   #4 
BettaEnamored

a123andproof thank you! Maybe our Walmart females have been slipped steroids or something. Mine's body is almost as long as my male's!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:27 AM   #5 
BettaEnamored

OrangeAugust ooh I wish I could start a sorority. How many do you have in yours? And if this isn't a spade tail, I really haven't any clue what tail it actually is because it's definitely not what I normally see!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #6 
a123andpoof

I would say its probably a spade tail. and yeah I dont know. Some of the females are huge, and some are normal size. Both my large girls are from different walmarts. And actually Mystic my newest female is even bigger than my first large walmart female.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #7 
Seki

I have two very large females (easily the size of males) with very long fins. It looks like your girl has quite a tail on her! She looks like a spade tail to me, too, but I have been told in the past that a spade tail is just a variation on a veiltail. I have also been told that round tails are a variation of veiltails so I don't know. She's gorgeous, though! And I'd definitely call her a cambodian.

Can we see your other girl, too? I'm rather enamored of female bettas at the moment~
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #8 
Shine

lol...that's funny my VT is also named Harry.
Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:36 PM   #9 
Lamb

She's pretty. Glad you saved her!
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote