Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2009, 11:50 PM   #1 
studioskim3

omg! my betta has dropsy!

OMG! I've never had my fish ever to have dropsy... what can I do to stop/ make him better? its been almost 2 weeks since he seemed to become lethargic... and now, I finally see the symptoms: raised scales and bloating....omg! what do i do? I added a few drops of melafix in the mean time and a few drops of salt. I just recently cleaned his water too. thanks!
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

There isn't really any cure for dropsy. All you can do is keep his water clean and warm.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #3 
Twistersmom

I have had some success treating dropsy with Maracyn-Two. I think when treating for dropsy, you should not use salt. I read it can make it more difficult for the fish to release trapped fluids.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #4 
twong88

just make sure the water is clean and use the right meds for dropsy. My red Tailed shark had dropsy and lost a few scales but i caught it in time and hes healing up right now. thanks to maracyn - 2 =). it works great.
twong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:39 AM   #5 
studioskim3

:( I must've caught it too late... he died today :( WAH!!!!!... thank you everyone for your help. Now I know what I should get to treat it... I'm learning... what should I do with the tank and rocks and plants (fake)... is it "contaminated"? Should I toss everything out or can i treat/clean them in some way so that my next fish can't get the same disease?

R.I.P Gorgeous
studioskim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can use bleach to sanitize everything but I don't know the proper amount of bleach to use. Maybe someone else can tell you how much.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #7 
bxtorr19

Bleach is too harsh and will leave chemical traces that can harm your next baby. I would dispose of any plants, rocks, and resin decorations. However for the tank and other equipment I would scrub the entire thing with kosher salt and a natural, unbleaced cheese cloth with the hottest water you can stand to kill any bad things that are lingering in the tank.
bxtorr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #8 
veganchick

What kind of tank did he have? if it was a bowl or vase, there is ur problem.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #9 
Cody

Bowls are Vases are perfectly fine for bettas when they are the right size and contain all proper materials (heater, filter, etc).
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #10 
veganchick

yes, but that one did not
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote