Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #1 
kvw1988

Female Bettas

I've been really curious what ovaries look like on a female betta, I have a baby who I'm pretty sure is a boy but I am still curious. I did the flashlight trick on him and I don't think I saw any ovaries but I'm not positive. Anyway if anybody has any pictures of what ovaries look like in a female that would be great. Google surprisingly hasn't been much help with this.
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

What you should see is a little white "dot" on their underside which is a small tube where I believe the eggs come out of.

You can see it in this picture - under her stomach area
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #3 
OrangeAugust

^^ some young males have false ovipositors ("egg spot"), though, so it's not always a completely accurate indicator. I'm not sure how to see the ovaries, though. someone told me they're kind of triangle-shaped on the sides of the stomach, but I haven't really been able to see this in my girls.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ooo Ooo pick me pick me!!

lol here's a picture of my yellow girl Pineapple, she's a great example because she's pretty much see-through!

and here are the ovaries outline:

And here's another you can see Emma's ovaries next to Pineapple:

And Pineapple again:

Orange is correct, almost all juvie males have an imitator ovipositer and some even a bit after maturity which can fool even the best gender-teller. I'll brb with some males to show the difference.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Here's a pic of a baby boy, you see just the circular object which is the stomach but there's no ovaries behind him, making it a boy:
Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #6 
kvw1988

Thanks guys :)

Yeah I'm starting to wonder about Ash again, "he" has the egg spot so I'm not going by that but I did a complete water change on him yesterday and while he was in his jar he lost most of his color and I thought I saw ovaries.

Oh and lilnaugrim, your bettas are so cute!!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hehe, thank!!

Yes the egg spot is not a good indicator unless the fish is about 4-5 months old (and matured) <---I say matured because some babies can get really stunted if the water changes weren't up to par so then they could be 3 months old and still not be mature yet lol. But yes, all male juvies have "egg" spots so that's no clear indicator at all.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #8 
kvw1988

Just one last question about girls: There is a female for free on craigslist near me I was thinking about getting, but I was wondering if it was alright for the females to be able to see the males or will they get egg bound? I know they can't be kept in a divided set-up together because of hormones but is next door alright or would I have to put a piece of paper between the tanks?
Old 06-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #9 
TwilightNite

As long as they are kept in separate tanks it should be fine. The first time they notice one another they may flare at each other but eventually they will lose interest and go about their lives. :) But if you find it may be upsetting one of your fish use the piece of paper. :)

Last edited by TwilightNite; 06-27-2013 at 09:00 AM.
TwilightNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #10 
OrangeAugust

I kept a female in a divided 10 gallon for 6 months and she never got egg-bound. They couldn't see each other clearly, though, because I had DIY dividers made out of mesh.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote