Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #1 
daquilajmd

a male and two females

I'm new to betta fish. I have a beautiful male blue crowntail and two cute females, one pink (Rosie) and one bluish/purple (Violet). His name is Little Blue. They are in a 5 gal tank with filter and heater and I keep the water conditioned and check with pH test strips, etc. They are getting along pretty well. The male flares and bullys but he has not attacked -- I've had them together a month. One of the females won't take any crap from him -- lol! but little Rosie is more careful and hides in her cave. I've read you aren't supposed to put them together like this (for sure the boys) but they are seemingly healthy and swimming and eating. Rosie, I think, may be full of eggs, but Little Blue has not started a bubble nest. Will he eventually do so or will she just have to expell the eggs herself or what?
daquilajmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Males and females really shouldn't be housed together. I'm surprised that they are getting along so well. I would think that the female will eventually release her eggs whether he builds a nest or not. Are you planning on raising any fry that may result?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:48 PM   #3 
daquilajmd

Well, I thought I replied but I did something wrong apparently and now I can't find the reply I thought I sent. I'm new to this so don't know what I'm doing yet.

Anyway, what I typed was that they seem to get along fine. I have had them at least a month and the water quality is good and the temp is good. Nobody has attacked but they kinda chase each other around. They eat just fine and beg for food and everything. I think the females are adorable. Little Blue is a little bit afraid of Violet and they both pick on Rosie, just chasing her, and unfortunately, I think she's full of eggs so it probably is a bit stressful for her. She has plenty of places to hide and uses them. Violet is the boss of the tank.

As far as raising the fry I've been reading up on it and I need to get another tank to separate them out. However, I don't know what I'm going to do with all of them! I mean, surely they don't all survive, but I suppose you could end up with a hundred or so out of the 300 or so that my book says they can produce. The book I have leaves me with a lot of questions. I'm hoping that this forum will be very informative. I'm kind of experimenting at this stage, but at least I have a good, healthy tank. When I send this reply I'm going to do a quick reply. Will other members see it or will it just be you? Please write back. Thanks. My name is Jean.
daquilajmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Really, if I were you, I'd separate all 3 bettas. They are aggressive with each other and could turn on each other at any time. Females can be housed together if they have enough space (10 gallon tank or larger) and plenty of hiding places. Females will fight, too, but will establish a pecking order, then things will settle down..Rosie is probably under a lot of stress from being picked on by the others. It sounds like you have been doing some reading so I may be repeating some of what you have already read. If you are interested in breeding, do your research so you'll know how to go about it and have everything you'll need. You'll need a breeding tank, the male and female will need to be conditioned before breeding and you'll need food for the fry. You'll need containers to put the babies in and you'll have to find homes for all of them.Yes, others will be able to see what we post and give you some answers, too. I hope this info helps.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #5 
veganchick

I've had females in a 5 gallon before, and I think as long as everyone is happy and healthy its fine, and you have a good filter system! Do you have a heater?
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #6 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by daquilajmd View Post
Well, I thought I replied but I did something wrong apparently and now I can't find the reply I thought I sent. I'm new to this so don't know what I'm doing yet.

Anyway, what I typed was that they seem to get along fine. I have had them at least a month and the water quality is good and the temp is good. Nobody has attacked but they kinda chase each other around. They eat just fine and beg for food and everything. I think the females are adorable. Little Blue is a little bit afraid of Violet and they both pick on Rosie, just chasing her, and unfortunately, I think she's full of eggs so it probably is a bit stressful for her. She has plenty of places to hide and uses them. Violet is the boss of the tank.

As far as raising the fry I've been reading up on it and I need to get another tank to separate them out. However, I don't know what I'm going to do with all of them! I mean, surely they don't all survive, but I suppose you could end up with a hundred or so out of the 300 or so that my book says they can produce. The book I have leaves me with a lot of questions. I'm hoping that this forum will be very informative. I'm kind of experimenting at this stage, but at least I have a good, healthy tank. When I send this reply I'm going to do a quick reply. Will other members see it or will it just be you? Please write back. Thanks. My name is Jean.
What you are seeing is the pecking order created by housing multiple bettas together. That will continue on until you seperate them.

And breeding a betta doesn't involve ONE tank... it involves dozens of jars, and a few tank for female fry. Do you even know the entire process?
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #7 
Kim

I agree with the above posts. Separate them at once because this situation could turn ugly fast. Also, raising betta fry is a huge undertaking because of the hostile nature of these fish and requires a good amount of resources. I think you would be most happy if you just set up 5.5 gallon tanks for each of them. Some females can be kept together, but you should never keep less than 4 because with only your 2 one will definitely be dominant and will bully the other to an unhealthy/dangerous degree. I know people who have had complete sorority setups and still have one female turn and kill all the others.....
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:37 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, females can be aggressive too, just as much as the males sometimes.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #9 
FordMan

i agree with vegan chick this whole solitary betta thing is dumb i mean people realize these things live with other fish in the wild right?
FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:12 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

In the wild, they don't live in groups like a lot of other fish.