Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #11 
daquilajmd

thank you to everyone for all your helpful comments. I realize they should be separated, but honestly, I had the male first in a bowl of cold water and then when I started reading I went out and bought a nice 5 gal. kit -- yes, with a heater -- and then I thought he was lonely and went and looked at the females. They were so pretty, I bought two and put them in with him. He seemed so much happier and his colors are very beautiful. I swear the females are brighter too. At PetSupplies Plus they're all in individual tiny bowls with cold water. I really didn't do this to breed them. I guess I need to either get a divider or another tank, right? And I realize I would need lots of little cups or something for the fry. Not sure what I'll do.

By the way, I have a 20 gal tank with several types of goldfish. Is there a goldfish forum? I'm new to this forum stuff. Thanks, Jean.
daquilajmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:27 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can divide the 5 gallon. That would give 2 fish 2 and a half gallons apiece. Then you'd have to find something for the other one. The females shouldn't be together either. One will bully the other to death. Sorry, I wish I could tell you that they could all live together but I can't. I have 5 bettas myself and it would be easier if everyone could live in one tank. As far as the goldfish are concerned, there are people on here that will be glad to answer any questions you have. People on this site are very knowledgeable hbbyists, very friendly and will help you as much as they can. Welcome to FishForum, by the way. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #13 
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan View Post
i agree with vegan chick this whole solitary betta thing is dumb i mean people realize these things live with other fish in the wild right?

Betta can and do cohabitate with other fish. But, then we are talking about different species living together. In the wild bettas do not school or stick with other bettas, and if they do meet up they have plenty of space for the looser to get away. Also, betta splendens have been selectively bred (as fighters originally) to be aggressive, so it is not the same as wilds which are often kept in groups.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, they can live with other species, just not with each other.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #15 
FordMan

they're not shoaling fish obviously but they deffinately live in some proximatey to each other i mean how do you figure they reproduce and they deffinately share thier territory with other non male betta fish
FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

When a male gets too close to another male's territory, he gets chased out.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #17 
veganchick

guys, really, if they are getting along, leave them together. Just like a betta and any other fish. Your not sure if they will get along, if they do, let them be, if not seperate them.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #18 
s72450

Well I say if things are going well and you can accept the risk, then keep them together, I would suggest a bigger tank for the three of them, with lots of hiding places, but that's just me. Just make sure to keep a close watch on them, they can snap in a second.
s72450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:24 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

s72450, I agree with you. If you can accept the risk then go ahead and keep them together.