Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #1 
Gillysfam

New to bettas, lots of conflicting info

I got a baby betta for my kids as their "first pet". Really I've always wanted a fish too. It's been a few months and from what I read from numerous places it should be a pretty decent size by now but she's still pretty tiny. We did figure out that its a female mainly because of the lack of the big fins and the white spot on her under side.

A few places said that they have to be in still water because too much movement causes stress and can kill them. Our current setup is a 2.5 gal with a little filter. Is it really a danger to have the water move? She really seems to like playing in the area where the water flows back in, she seems to purposely swim through it. She's also extremely active pretty much all day.

Speaking of active is that normal as well? I've seen some say it is and others say they are usually calm fish. Our girl is like a puppy, when someone walks by she's swims to the front of the tank and follows you.

Also we never did this cycling of the tank that I see people talk about. Her original little bowl we did 100% water changes on because they told me to "dump the water" once a week when I got her. I don't anymore but how did she survive this long with my bad fish-parenting?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help anyone can provide :)
Gillysfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #2 
NeptunesMom

Welcome to the world of bettas. With a 2.5 g you'll want to do one 50% water change and one 100% water change each week. The filter is fine, as long as it's not inhibiting her. I don't have any filters, but many (if not most) on here do. If the filter was really strong, and inhibiting her movements then I can see how it would stress her. But, a small gentle filter is fine.

My girl is super active. My boys tend to be much more laid back. It all depends on the fish. Girls don't get as large as boys, and it does seem like they grow slower (although I could be wrong, that's based on observing only one female. I've only ever had boys until Eponine a year ago).

What type of food are you feeding? What type of water conditioner are you using?

Some great tools to keep on hand are aquarium salt and Epsom salt. They are used to treat the majority of health problems you'll encounter. If you can get your hands on Indian Almond Leaves and Stress Coat +. You'll be set to treat almost every minor to moderate health problem.

Also, I would recommend investing in an API Liquid Water Test Kit ($30). It's a great way to keep track of your water parameters.

As for cycling, many would say you can not cycle a 2.5 g because it's too small. There are some who claim to have done it. I think the easiest thing with one that small (if you are having water parameter problems, or you are worried about it) would be to plant it.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #3 
Shadyr

Filters seem to mostly be problematic for large finned males. Having all that finnage and then having to fight a current constantly can stress some of them out. Females don't really have the fins to cause drag, so they are more likely to be fine with a filter current. It sounds like yours enjoys it. The girls in my sorority can sometimes be found riding the filter outflow. There's also a stillish area that they tend to hang out in when idling.

Maybe for that same reason, girls do seem to be more active than the males.

With babies, if she's already made it through the first few weeks/months, you got a healthy one. I hope she continues to do well for you!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #4 
Gillysfam

Feeding hikari micro pellets. No water conditioner. I've been using the gallon jugs of purified drinking water.
Gillysfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #5 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillysfam View Post
Feeding hikari micro pellets. No water conditioner. I've been using the gallon jugs of purified drinking water.
It'll be cheaper for you in the long run to get a water conditioner. I like Stress Coat + because it is a water conditioner with therapeutic additives. It also is used to help encourage healthy tissue growth and soothes any rips or tears in fins. But, you can use a cheap water conditioner like Top Fin because it'll still condition the water. A lot of people like Prime, and I have some on hand, but I've heard if your ammonia in your tap already tests at 0 it can be a little too much chemical for the fish. My water tests at 0, so I've never used it, but have it in case it does test higher than 0 at some point.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote