Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #1 
Bettatrainer

Exclamation Fish jumped out of 5 gallon aquarium

Hi everyone, I'm just looking for some advice. My betta jumped out of the 5 gallon aquarium i have him in two nights ago (there are two lids, I have a fluval spec v- the lid it comes with has a big cut out in it so i have a glas canopy over the cut out). Anyway I have no idea now long he was out for maybe 20 mins, but he was still moving on the carpet a bit and was damp. He is doing fine today acting himself and even ate! I noticed that his tail fin is clamped and is flaking off at the edges. There is a very distinct line where the tail is dead and alive. My question is with time and the proper care will his tail return to normal? He is a gorgeous yellow and electric blue dragon scale pk. Thank you.
Bettatrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #2 
Freyja
Banned

Yes...he most likely has fin rot. Keep his water in pristine conditions, add some stress coat at water change, if you have it, and his tail will heal. IALs are also good to add to his water since they have antimicrobial properties. Oak leaves work as well.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #3 
Bettatrainer

Great. I did a partial water change the night I found him on the floor. I will do another 25% change this afternoon. I am trying not to stress him out too much more. I have also increased his water temp to 81 instead of 80. I also noticed that his pectoral fins have small tears in them. Should i add aq salt or not? Also where can I get IALs?
Bettatrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #4 
The African

I would treat this as fin rot too. Salt will help.
The African is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:28 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Usually the only way to get IAL is via ebay sellers in Asia, where the tree grows. Supposedly Oak Leaves and some kind of tea offer the same benefits as Indian Almond Leaves
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote