Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #1 
coreyh

Clamped Fins

I rescued a betta with severe fin rot around a month ago, his fins were growing back but a couple of weeks after I brought him home, I noticed that his fins were clamping and almost... melting, his anal and ventrals are shorter, but they haven't rotted away or been bitten, they've just kind of melted, and his color is dull. He was and still is eating fine, acting fine, and pooping fine, but I'm concerned for him. I thought velvet could be the answer, he has greenish coloring on top of his head and along his body, these patches do not have a bluish iridescence like the rest of him. So I put him in my closet and treated him with maracide for two weeks and no changes. I then stopped treatment and only just recently thought to restart this. Any feedback would be welcomed.

What size is your tank?
Regularly a 2.5 gallon, but he is in a 1 gallon
quarentine right now
What temperature is your tank?
84 degrees
Does your tank have a filter?
No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No

Is your tank heated?
Yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
NLS
How often do you feed your betta fish?
3-4 pellets every day then a fast day once a week

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
Normally, twice a week, but now that he's in the 1 gallon I change it every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Clamped fine, dull coloration
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
His behavior hasn't changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
About a month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
With maracide
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Just these symptoms
How old is your fish (approximately)?
I want to say around 8months... but he's from a petstore so I can't be certain

Here's a picture (of terrible quality) that shows his fins
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #2 
coreyh

Here he is when I first brought him home
Old 06-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #3 
Laki

Hmm, I could be wrong but the pH seems a little high (should be 7) and the temp seems a bit high as well. Some bettas don't mind 82-85F but some get agitated. Watch for that.

You can lower the pH with indian almond leaves, oak leaves or blackwater extract.

His tail doesn't look to have black edges to it so I would rule out fin rot (especially since you're doing good water changes.)

How about clean the 1g every other day to allow his immune system to work a little harder. too clean water can be as bad as rotten dirty water. **eta** I just read that you clean it every second day.. Try every 3 days
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #4 
coreyh

I've heard pH can really mess with crowntail fins, would it cause this issue in veiltails? The pH in his cup from the store was 7.8 and he was at the store for more than 2 months, mine is usually around 8.2, but after I age it, it falls to 7.6 and my other betta is perfectly happy.

*Just honestly wondering if this could be the issue, because that would be soooo much easier to solve. lol*

And the temp is higher right now because I'm treating for velvet and heard that can help (some say yes, some say no, so I tried it) the temp is usually set at 80

Last edited by coreyh; 06-26-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #5 
Laki

I think it's just that CT's seem more affected by it because of their spikes. All Splendens would require the same pH. Even though your other betta seems fine in the 7.6 I think you could benefit them by ordering cheap IAL on ebay (amy's or aquatic magic or whatever other good deal you can find)

Oh you didn't mention you were treating for velvet (or I didn't read it in the sticky you provided anyway).

What's his poop look like?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 PM   #6 
coreyh

normal, brown, solid...not much I can say about poo, lol.

Well, I'll order some IAL, if nothing else, it's good for them, and see if that helps at all.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #7 
Laki

His poop seems to rule out internal parasites then.. Since it's not white and stringy..

He might just be messed up from the store. I don't know. I hope someone else can come offering better more useful advice.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #8 
coreyh

No, I think you're pretty close with the pH thing, I thought it would be fine, but that does seem like a possible issue that didn't even cross my mind.

For the time being, could I lower the pH slightly with pH down? Its the one thing I currently have to lower it, but I know it can sometimes cause the pH to bounce around, but if he's getting every 2-3 day water changes maybe the pH wouldn't have time to swing back up? Or just wait until the IAL gets here?
Old 06-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #9 
Laki

I would say try to keep it as steady as possible. If it's prone to jumping and spiking then that could seriously affect him. If it's within your means you can buy Tetra brand blackwater extract (it's in a yellow bottle in the fish section) Now I have not read any reviews on this site but I have seen it in the stores here. I assume if its measured right it would work to lower the pH while you wait on IAL. Then again, you can also buy a stick of mopani driftwood. That has a high tannin leak as well (I just remembered, which could work too)

TL;DR: If you prefer to wait on IAL then try to keep him at whatever pH is easiest for you to maintain, if you want to lower it asap then get tetra blackwater or mopani driftwood.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #10 
coreyh

Well it's just going to stay high for a week, lol. IAL is ordered and will arrive within 3-5 business days. I'm hopeful that it'll help his fins, if it lowers the pH, great, but it has a lot of other great properties that should help him too from what I've read.