Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #1 
Marlow

Help..Bad fins, painfull movements, redness

Hello, my betta Cobalt appears to be a sick fish :( He is my second betta (but not second fish) after the one I bought before him got very suddenly sick and died. I believe Ėthat- problem is with my petshop, as they had very bad quality fish at the time and I mustíve selected a sick one, as the crowntail I had looked fine on the outside but never seemed to act right.

This is when I got Cobalt, as the Bettas at my pet store are very expensive and I still had the warranty on my suddenly dead fish. He acted fine the first few days, much better than my crowntail, but quickly took a nose dive a few days in. Not knowing what the problem was (invisible), I quickly started giving him salt baths and treating him with extra Tripe Sulfa I had laying around. That brought him back from the brink of death, as he brought himself off the tank floor (where he had been laying very still, almost dead), and started swimming around like a happy fish. Unfortunately, he didnít stay that way very long, and started showing disturbing signs once again- whitened fin edges (Fin rot?), and painful ĎUí shaped Ďturnsí that he would do while turning and also while facing the bottom of the aquarium, almost falling in on himself. He also Ėoccasionally- lays at the bottom of the aquarium, where he flops over on his side and looks unhappy. He did this at the start, too, but it was much worse, so Iím guessing itís the original problem that wasnít entirely kicked in the butt.

I decided that he might have velvet, so instead of the Triple Sulfa and aquarium salt I started treating him with Jungle Ick Guard (malachite green). This didnít seem to help much at all, so I gave that up and went back to Triple Sulfa. Unfortunately, now none of these things seem to be working, and his fins look bad. They are torn up and some have little Ďholesí in them. I think that a bad plant I had in there helped that along a little, but Iím still very worried about it. Also, he now has redness on his head, and eyes.

Iím very worried. Iíve had him for at least a month now, and heís been going from Ďgoodí to Ďbadí daily, and Iím terrified Iíll lose him as Iíve gotten very attached. Iím sorry if Iím being confusing and hard to understand.. Worry makes me even less coherent than I already am naturally.

Here are some pictures of Cobalt:

This is what he looked like when I first got him, below is from today.

What are those little squiggly things? Dirt, parasites..? My micro lens picks up things I canít regularly see.

Ah yes, almost forgot:

He is living in a heated, slowly filtered (no waterfall effect) 1.5 gallon tank
The Ammonia/Nitrites are good, 0 (or occasionally very, very low, but I abruptly do water changes and remove it) The rest I canít tell because I do not have the tests, unfortunately.
I do healthy fish water changes/checks weekly, but he gets them every two days do to the Triple Sulfa.
My pH is, admittedly, high, at 7.6+ (very close to 7.6, but I canít tell exactly- I keep tetras and they are doing just fine)
I feed him a mixture of betta pellets, freezedried bloodworms, and betta flakes with dried brine shrimp in it..But he doesnít eat the latter. He wasn't very interested in live baby brine shrimp either.

I know he doesnít look as bad as many other sick bettas do..And I almost hope Iím overreacting.. But, better safe than sorry, I guess?
Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #2 
Laki

Everything seemed fine until you mentioned little squiggly things. Are they on him? Like moving and stuff?

How often do you change the water?

The red on his eyes and gills sounds like ammonia burns.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #3 
Marlow

I do water changes on him ever 2 days, I just did a test and ammonia reads 0
The squiggly things, i'm not sure.. I can't actually see them at all physically, but take a picture on micro and there they are.. His water appears crystal clear, so i'm confused about it..

I also did an entire tank clean a few days ago, cleaned the tank and gravel with hot water, and wiped off the heater*woops, typo'd filter ><*- though it's still a little algae-y.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #4 
Laki

I don't know. I don't see white edges, and even if there is, fin rot is black/red edges on the fins and caused by lack of clean water overtime.

I just looked back over the pics, are you sure his eyes weren't always red? Is his breathing laboured at all?

If there are tiny squiggly things, it could just be nemotodes and they're perfectly harmless as long as there's a food source in the gravel/filter.

Also, crystal clear water doesn't indicate healthy water but since you have a test kit we at least know to rule out ammonia.. What's the exact nitrite reading?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #5 
Marlow

Nitrite also reads 0.
Is it possible that he could be burned from the salt baths? He never does 'flip over' like other fish are supposed to, so I kept him in there for about 20-30 (sometimes less) minutes depending on concentration. He never appeared unusually troubled though I know they are unpleasant. I use Aquarium salt.

His breathing is normal, it's the painful looking 'U's and flips he makes that scares me.

** Ah, sorry, I mentally missed what you said about fin rot.

I think it was blackened for a small while, but that's all gone now and it's more of a whiteness.. Would it be the fins healing? Pictures don't do justice to the tears in his fins..Could it really be all from one little plant? If so, should I remove all his new decorations so he doesn't have anything to rub the bad ends against?

Last edited by Marlow; 06-26-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #6 
Laki

Wait.. I think I know what "flips" you're talking about. Both Ludendorff and Bowser were kind of jumping a bit at the surface to get food or a breath. With a slight abnormal bend in the spine while they did it. Sound like yours?

Unfortunately, Bowser succumbed to whatever it was just last week, I had to PTS because he descended in less than a day into whatever unreversible state. But he had stringy white poop too. If it's the same thing, I attribute the behaviour to being old. Ludey is about 2.5 years old and Bowser was a little over 2 years. I know your boy is only with you for a month so he's prob pretty young :/
Old 06-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #7 
Marlow

Hmm..He doesn't jump, no, he seems to..Stand on his head at the bottom of the aquarium almost and fold into a U, with his head and tail both touching the bottom. I don't think he's very old, he seems small. Poop is normal normal, small, and rarely seen.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #8 
Laki

Oh. Different style of weird then. What time of the day or how often does he touch the gravel with nose and tail?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 PM   #9 
Marlow

I don't think there is a specific time or amount he does it, it's just random w.w I haven't seen a day without him doing it at least once while I was there to see it, though..