Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #1 
TurtleBarb

Question not sick but fins shredded

I woke up this morning to find little shreds in Asta's tail. He's healthy, and it doesn't look like disease. It looks like something or someone has done it. The water parameters are fine.
I've never had a tail-biting betta before, so I don't know what it looks like. Is this what it looks like?
Is it possible that Amano shrimp will do this if they get hungry? there are two in his tank.
I did find a piece of plastic that had the potential to do it, but it's been in there the whole time Asta has. I'll fix it, but it seems doubtful.
He's in a Spec III. I have craft mesh over the intake grate. He does like to lay on it. I have the water current turned down. Has anyone else with a Spec III seen this kind of minor shredding caused by a mesh-covered intake grate?
Attached Images

TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #2 
AltheaGlyndwr

I've had fin biters and I'm fairly certain I can assure you that he is not (yet, but always possible) a tail biter. When I saw something like that it was from plastic plants. I've never had the tank you describe though.
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Either he ripped it somehow or he is snacking on his fins. If he starts to loose a big chunk of fin in a short perios of time - like an hour or so, then yeah - he is bitting his fins.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #4 
TurtleBarb

Ok, thanks. No plastic plants, just live ones. I'm relieved to hear it doesn't look like tail-biting. I didn't see any additional shreds this morning, and some appear to look a little better already. I'm still scratching my head over how it happened.
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote