Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #1 
tngirl92

Cray-Cray Filter

I purchased a 10 gallon kit last night with a filter I can only describe as "cray-cray." The tank and filter brand are both by Great Choice, so definitely not top of the line or anything. Very basic. The filter that came with my kit was faulty. Motor was running, but it would not pump water high enough to come out over the top. I exchanged it today for the exact same filter and plugged it in on Parli's side of the divided tank. The new one worked well. Probably too well. If I had not been there to unplug it, it would have sucked Parli right in as he swam near the intake, it's so strong. I moved it into the empty side of my divided tank so that it does not pose any fin-catching danger, but eventually there will be a fish in that side, too. Can I do anything to lessen the strength of the intake? Maybe place a sponge behind the grooves on the inside and wrap the outside with panty hose?

Does anyone have any experience or know anything about this filter? I would invest in a better one, but the point of buying the tank as a kit was to avoid purchasing a filter separately.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12346720

tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #2 
screwball69

put some aquarium sponge around it and it should be fine
screwball69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #3 
Seki

I have that exact same kit, but I actually intended to use a different filter all along, so I have the filter that came with it tucked away for a rainy day lol. I generally like internal filters, but I wanted more room for my girls, so I opted for a HOB for my tank.

Thanks for letting us know how strong the pull of the filter is! Now I know to only use it in tanks with fish that don't have long fins or anything that might get caught.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote