Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #1 
Livelifelaughlove

friendly betta?

So some people have their bettas in with other forms of fish *i don't plan on doing this till i get a much bigger tank* but how do you know if the betta is a "friendly" fish? do you just put it in the tank and watch really carefully? or is a there a suggested way to introduce another fish to your betta without totally freaking either fish out?
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #2 
bubblenest

In general, bettas will behave fine around fish that don't have big, bright fins and tails. Basically, if your current fish look nothing like another male betta, your betta won't have a problem with them. So just introduce it as normal, and then keep a close eye on it for a week or so to make sure there's no agressive behavior.

EDIT: Although, true, different fish have different reactions.

Last edited by bubblenest; 02-19-2009 at 05:44 PM.
bubblenest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bettas have different personalities. Some are laid back and tolerate tankmates very well and others are aggressive and will attack just about anything you put in with them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #4 
veganchick

I agree. Introduce as normal, keep a special eye on them tho. You aren't planning on putting any tankmates with urs in that 2 gallon, are you?
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #5 
Livelifelaughlove

No, thats why i added the "*i don't plan on doing this till i get a much bigger tank*"
I was just wondering...
Livelifelaughlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #6 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Another thing to think about: I think it's best to add the most aggressive fish to the tank last. This way the other inhabitants in the tank are already comfortable and that last addition will be less likely to be aggressive as it would have been had it been in the tank first. Just my thoughts. I did this with my betta when I added him into the tank he shares with the otos. I've never had a problem with this betta. He's very aggressive in his attitude towards his next door tank "neighbor" (another betta) but he leaves the otos alone.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #7 
fishyinpa

Hmmm...so what if your betta is already living in the tank? Would that be a no go? I do have my cories in a nice size tank so if it wont work or doesnt work out they will be fine in there.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:55 PM   #8 
Kim

Cories and bettas seem to be a good match. Is your betta tank planted or not? Just taking the betta out temporarily while you rearrange everything to break up territories and then adding the cories first should work. If this is not possible, I'd just add the cories and keep a very close eye on them. Since they are bottom dwellers they should pretty much stay out of the betta's way.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:10 PM   #9 
fishyinpa

Ah cool. Yup he has lots of plants. Yeah i can take him out and move things around a bit. Lol bottom dwellers...thats funny cause my pandas seem to be all over the place....
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #10 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I agree with Kim's advice. I'm sure your betta & cories will be fine togther.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote