Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 AM   #1 
Bluefin08

Issues with a Brand of Tank?

In the past 6-7 months, I have been through 3 small aquariums for my betta, Sammy. The first one was a plastic tank from the local pet store, which came with a lamp and a pump to circulate the water. Unfortunately, it developed a crap and we had to toss it.
The second one was an open top glass tank with no circulation or lamp. However, it quickly developed some sort of infection. I put a small heat pad in (his water was sitting around 66 degrees F and went up to 78 with the pad) and added the medicine recommended by the pet store, but it didn't clear up. He became less active, and had a recurring problem with his swim bladder. And, unfortunately, the stress deteriorated his fins some.
So, my fiance went out and bought the same kind of tank as we originally had. He's much happier now (dang high maintenance betta), but this tank has also developed a crack. I think the tank is called a Mini-Bow, though I can't remember the brand. Anyone else had problems with these tanks cracking on a consistent basis? I take the lid off regularly to feed him and change his water, but make sure to put it back on carefully so as not to damage the tank. Lot of good that did.
So, what would be a good tank to get? I'm looking at no more than 3 gallons, and would really prefer a lamp and pump. I saw one called an Eclipse, which is right down my alley. Are these decent tanks? Any others I should consider?
Bluefin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 AM   #2 
megphimu22

I've had an Eclipse for a while now- I absolutely love it. It's so quiet but gets its job like it needs to! My betta Chuck Bass loves it!
megphimu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #3 
Kim

That's weird about the mini-bow. I know lots of people who have them and love them. Anyway, I have heard good things about the eclipse tanks and I would not be hesitant to buy one. The other option would be to just go and buy a glass 2.5 gallon with a glass top and a 25 watt adjustable heater. Honestly, that route is probably cheaper than any of the kits. Don't skimp on the heater though, cheap ones often malfunction and can stress your fish. I personally love the Visi-Therm Stealth and Deluxe models.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #4 
aspects
Banned

elipse tanks are great but usually a bit more expensive then other tanks
aspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #5 
Kim

And I don't think the eclipse tanks come with heaters anyway, so you'd still need to buy one.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 AM   #6 
aspects
Banned

most tanks dont come with heaters, unless you buy one second hand (also an option. see craigslist)
aspects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #7 
veganchick

I have never had an eclipse, but my friend has a 10g that she has had 4ever it it still works great!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #8 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I've got two Eclipse's. I liked the first one so much that I purchased a second one.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #9 
Kim

I'm wondering, is the tank on a level surface? It just seems odd that 2 of your tanks have developed a leak.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #10 
Bluefin08

Yep, it's on a level, solid surface. In my apartment, we have a raised bar area behind the sink. We keep the tank there.
Bluefin08 is offline   Reply With Quote