Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #1 
Aconyte

Brown spots and scummy water

So my 10 gallon, which I've been cycling for over a month now, has some weird, scummy residue sitting on top and brown spots forming on the glass. Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Also, my 5 gallon with my betta in it seems to have an oily residue on top of the water and I have no idea what to do with that.
Aconyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Do you use Stress Coat at all? Sometimes it can make an oily film over top, water changes will take care of it. Also feeding high protein foods like Betta pellets, will cause a protein layer at the top as well, but same thing just do water changes to get rid of it. Also upping the aeration of the tank will get rid of it, but it's not ideal for your little one, it's completely harmless though.

As for the brown spots those are diatoms and you can easily rub them off with your fingers but they are very common in newly set up tanks and you'll have to deal with them for about 4 months. They then burn themselves out and usually don't return, again they are harmless and don't hurt anything even live plants, but of course it can get unsightly. So just use your fingers to rub it off walls and/or ornaments before you do a water change and you should be fine until they burn out. There's nothing you can do to make them burn out faster either unfortunately.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #3 
Aconyte

Ah, ok, thanks a lot :) As long as none of this is harming my tanks and such.
Aconyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yep, you're all good! All very natural ^_^ although they are a pain haha, it will go away with time.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote