Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-26-2013, 10:23 PM   #1 
snowflake311

Mixing HM with HMPK?

I want to breed a female HM Dumbo to a Male HMPK Dumbo.

What will come of this anyone know? Will I get some HM and Some HMPK? Or will I get some mid lenght fin HM. ? Will they all be dumbos?

I read this about breeding the 2
"It is safer to assume that the fin length outcome is the result of permutation of the parents' fin. So, you get 25% HM, 50% medium-fin, and 25% HMPK. So, in majority (75%) you will get short-fin and those medium-fin fry which look very much like short-fin ;)"

Info from - http://breedingsmybettas.blogspot.co...result-in.html

Last edited by snowflake311; 06-26-2013 at 10:26 PM.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You will probably get 100% hm, depends on genetic background. Long fin is dominant over short fin (which doesn't make a ton of sense). As for dumbo... Not a ton is known about the gene except that it is quite recessive... A EExEE cross should get you some EE.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #3 
snowflake311

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
You will probably get 100% hm, depends on genetic background. Long fin is dominant over short fin (which doesn't make a ton of sense). As for dumbo... Not a ton is known about the gene except that it is quite recessive... A EExEE cross should get you some EE.
I was wondering is long fins were dominant it is weird. I might have to get a female HMPK then.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Not sure about the percentage, but I'd have to agree with "breedingsmybetta" - HM x HMPK DOES NOT = majority HM (or long finned). Though in theory long fins are suppose to be dominant but in reality sometimes you get more short fin.

As for the dumbo; that too is recessive thus you should only get genos (not showing trait physically but carrying the genes). In reality you will have larger than regular pectoral fins, though maybe not large enough to be called a dumbo.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #5 
whatsupyall

Tried that not too long ago. For males, I got 25% short tails, 75% long tails. For females, 90% short tails. I think their family tree definitely plays a role though.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:16 PM   #6 
snowflake311

I am going to keep a pair from this breeding I will take the best looking HMPK Dumbo and breed them. That's my plan so far. I think the Dumbos look best with shorter tails.

Thanks Whatsupyall that is good info.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IMO - perhaps more what male and what female parents. Male fry will show more of dad's traits while female fry shows more of mom. But I do agree their family tree plays a big role in fry outcome.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:46 PM   #8 
snowflake311

Some photos

This is my Male He is HMPK Dumbo with some nice pectorals fins not too big not too small.

This is what the HM Female should look like. I could be getting her sister since another forum member won the same fish. This fish was posted 2 times on aqua bid. I figure the breeder had 2 very simular fish to sell and used the same photo for both. We will see.

So thats my pair. I have bred fish before but never cared much about genetics. So breeding bettas is a whole new world. I can't wait but it will be a few months till I breed them I need to condition them and make sure I am not going to be on vacation when the fry are young. You know.