Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #1 
WOLFSRAIN4

Exclamation Transparent fins!!!

its been about a week and i noticed johnys tail was a little shredded...so i did a 60 percent water change..and added salt. Then is seemed to get a little worse so i added a little more salt...but i noticed his anal and caudal fin are getting transparent...im treating it as finrot, ive done mortons sea salt..but i was told that would work so i did another water change today and added a few drops of stress coat..My tank is a 1.5 halfmoon i usually do a water change every week and filter is every few days just to keep the water clear and i dont have a heater but i have a thermometer...IM NOT SURE WHAT TO DO CAUSE ACTS COMPLETELY NORMAL...
Attached Images

WOLFSRAIN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

When a betta's fins heal they first get a thin transparent bit of fin, this gets tougher and becomes a real fin and then slowly regains its original color. Some bettas always have transparent bits (if all the fins are see-through its called cellophane)

As long as the rot doesn't progress the clear parts should go back to being healthy fin in no time.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #3 
Laki

Wait.. You're using sea salt!?? No. Stop using that and get aquarium salt for freshwater tanks. You don't need salt anyway since the clear part is NEW growth!

*eta* Mortons adds iodine and other anti-caking agents to their product for human consumption. It's not safe for aquarium use. You can buy freshwater aquarium salt at walmart for 2$ and that will last the life of the fish or more. I only bought one carton of it in the 2 years I've been keeping bettas. You can buy it to have on hand but don't use it now for your fish :)

Last edited by Laki; 06-27-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote