Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #1 
Poseidon2013

Unhappy Is my betta passing out?

Hey guys, so my betta has been doing this strange thing where he is swiming near the top of the tank and then he'll freeze and float to the bottom, collapse and remain motionless for about 10 seconds. Is my betta passing out?

Here is his info:
Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal.
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter?Yes, but it isn't in use because I'm treating Poseidon's fin rot with API Fungus Cure.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? The filter typically aerates.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None. (Yet. Maybe when he gets better :)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta bites (2-3) and Bloodworms (1-2)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every morning.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week (but I've been doing it more like every few days since he got sick)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? NutraFin Water Conditioner, for a while I was adding Aquarium Salt (3-4 tbsp./ 10 gal.) and now API Stress coat.
Water Parameters: ???
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: 7
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, he has fin rot so his fins are ragged, but bleeding had stopped. He also has some discoloration (brown/ orange) on his belly.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He naps more ever since he got sick, but when he's active he seems normal.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The fin rot was two weeks ago, but this just started happening today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? API Fungus Cure and API Stress Coat for the fin rot, but I don't know what to do about the fainting.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Poseidon2013

Last edited by Poseidon2013; 06-27-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Poseidon2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #2 
TurtleBarb

I don't know about passing out, but he may be feeling so ill and tired that swimming to the surface is a burden on his resources. Do you have a specimen container you can put him in, the little box you see hanging on the side of fish tanks in pet stores? You can hang it inside the tank water so it gets the benefit of the heater and can do frequent water replacements from the treated tank water. Or you could put him in a hospital tank. Either way, he wouldn't have to travel as far to the surface. I also wonder if he's having swim bladder problems. Is he pooping? Does he look bloated?
TurtleBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #3 
sassyfriend

That is not good

I am so sorry to read of this. Its hard seeing the little fellows suffering. I don't know that much about bettas but I can tell when they are suffering.

I hope your little friend makes it though this!!!!!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #4 
Poseidon2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBarb View Post
I don't know about passing out, but he may be feeling so ill and tired that swimming to the surface is a burden on his resources. Do you have a specimen container you can put him in, the little box you see hanging on the side of fish tanks in pet stores? You can hang it inside the tank water so it gets the benefit of the heater and can do frequent water replacements from the treated tank water. Or you could put him in a hospital tank. Either way, he wouldn't have to travel as far to the surface. I also wonder if he's having swim bladder problems. Is he pooping? Does he look bloated?
I think he's pooping and he doesn't look bloated. He's not lethargic: he seems really energetic when he swims around and then it's like he spaces out and just sinks; a few seconds later he's back to normal.

Also I have a tall plant right next to the heater that he likes to nap on so he's close to the heater as well as to the surface.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #5 
Poseidon2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfriend View Post
I am so sorry to read of this. Its hard seeing the little fellows suffering. I don't know that much about bettas but I can tell when they are suffering.

I hope your little friend makes it though this!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much for your concern sassyfriend, but don't worry too much. He seems to be in full recovery from his fin rot; this is just a strange phenomenon that kind of baffles me.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

How long you have him? Is he also bloated?
Belly discoloration sometimes can be when betta has internal parasites. Have you see his poop? If it white, clear, broken white ,stringy,wormy shape it can be internal parasites. Try to monitor his poo to rule out internal infection or internal parasites.If you can put him in the hospital tank/container which you can put in his tank so it easier to monitor his poo. You can even buy at the dollar store big plastic see through container and let it float in the tank. Or you can also lower the water in the tank and take out the gravel so you can monitor his poo and do more water changes.

Also how long you treating him with medications? A lot of people recommending to have orator while you treating with medications because it will take the oxygen away.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #7 
Poseidon2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
How long you have him? Is he also bloated?
Belly discoloration sometimes can be when betta has internal parasites. Have you see his poop? If it white, clear, broken white ,stringy,wormy shape it can be internal parasites. Try to monitor his poo to rule out internal infection or internal parasites.If you can put him in the hospital tank/container which you can put in his tank so it easier to monitor his poo. You can even buy at the dollar store big plastic see through container and let it float in the tank. Or you can also lower the water in the tank and take out the gravel so you can monitor his poo and do more water changes.

Also how long you treating him with medications? A lot of people recommending to have orator while you treating with medications because it will take the oxygen away.
ANHEL123, I have been monitoring his poop and it looks normal. I have also been aerating the tank using the filter: its still running I have just removed the carbon. He seems to be getting better without my help though :)
Old 07-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #8 
ANHEL123

Oh good so he is not collapsing any more ? I am glad he is getting better. Just when you done with medication may be do one or two more water changes (25%) a week, and rinse /swish the filter media in the tank water or dechlorinated water weekly.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fainting, strange behavior, unconscious