Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #1 
RowdyBetta

Dwarf Hairgrass?

I love the way dwarf hairgrass looks in a tank. But I'm afraid if I get it I'll probably kill it. XD Has anyone here had experience with DHG? Does it have any special requirements?
My tank has a 13w 6500k fluorescent bulb, no added co2, and starting next week I'll be using Seachem Flourish Comprehensive liquid ferts and Excel.

-Rowdy
RowdyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #2 
Sylerwin

I too wanted dwarf hairgrass to replace my fake grass in my tank. I hear that it needs high lighting and some CO2 supplement. I wonder if liquid co2 will work? What kind of substrate do you have? I just have basic gravel, so if you find a good answer to this, let me know, I'd love to hear it!
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #3 
snowflake311

I have had dwarf hair grass still Have some.

It is easy to keep hard to grow. Mine stayed green looks nice but has not filled in or grown much in a year. But it's still green and looks nice.

It loves high light and lots of co2 if you want it to grow as a carpet. It also is hard to plant since the roots are so little. If it is not established and well rooted any little movement and it will float to the top. I lost most of my Dwarf grass by touching it too much during wc.

It needs a good plant substrate too because it is a root feeder. Some aquatic plants that are easy to grow take in nurtrients from the water not to much the roots making it easy to keep these plants in many types of tanks.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #4 
VJM

I used one pack of the DH sold at Petco, and has totally taken over. It wants the same stuff a lawn wants: nutritive substrate that is soft enough to send runners through, and a bunch of light.

I have a medium/med high LED light, and Miracle Gro substrate with a sand cap. Now I have to go back and put in plastic dividers to try and contain it.

I do not use cO2.

Last edited by VJM; 06-28-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Forgot something
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #5 
OrangeAugust

I had some in my 5 gallon and it slowly melted. Then a few months later I got some for my 55 gallon and it was dead in about 2 weeks. I think I might have still only had 1 watt per gallon at that time, so maybe that's why...
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #6 
Lights106

I got some from petco and I went mad keeping it planted. I really wanted it to work out :(
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #7 
Aquacrazed

I picked up some a few days ago and from what I know it needs 3 things for it to do well: good lighting, co2, planted aquarium substrate. I just have good lighting, no co2, sand substrate. I notice they are a bit more greener since I got them but I think they will not grow much and pretty much stay the same. The good thing is I may not have to trim them in this case.

I also planted them in big bundles as I had a bit of a hard time keeping them rooted, it's not the ideal way of doing it.
Attached Images

Aquacrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu

DHG 'blem' is supposed to be easier. It is also shorter than regular DHG.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #9 
ao
TFK Moderator

If you want dwarf hair grass to grow... you do not need CO2
how ever you do need decent (med- high) lighting and a substrate that can hold in nutrients....
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #10 
VJM

Planting method is also key. Use a chopstick and poke a hole in your substrate. Then plant only as many stems as can fit in the hole. Move over a 1/4 to 1/2 inch and do it again. It's like doing hair plugs! Then it will have a much easier time spreading and won't rot or brown in the middle.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote