Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #21 
countyrd419

Exclamation

I feel that an experience betta owner (you all know who you are) should put a sticky note on this subject and then post it in this forum. Since I am a beginner I don't think I have the authority to do this.

Please help all of us deal with this. I hear some angry tones in the messages I have been reading on this delicate subject.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #22 
Deeana Mill

I had to do it.

Hello there, I am a new poster. And what a thread on which to make my first post. But this topic is what made me come onto the site in the first place.

For years I have been "fish-sitting" a grandson's Betta when the family goes on vacation. Two months ago when I went to get the fish they told me he was sick. So I brought him to my house and began reading online to try to figure out what was wrong with him. As it turns out, at age 6, he had several tumors on his body, one of them a huge one located in front of an eye. All he did was lay on his side at the top of the bowl.

I got the medication recommended, changed his water every other day, and felt I did all I could. I "nursed" him for a month. (Grandson was long home but I told him fishy was too sick to come home, took him out to Petco and we got a new fish for him. He was happy.)

Finally, despite all the care, Polly would not eat. At all.

I used the alcohol method. I dumped about an inch of rubbing alcohol (which you can buy very cheaply at any drugstore) into a small plastic Tupperware type plastic container. Then scooped fish out of his bowl into a small plastic cup of water. Drained most of the water out of that and then gently dumped fishy into the alcohol. It was very quick and I hope painless.

I will confess that it took me three days after realizing this was going to be necessary to actually do it.

In the meanwhile, on that day at Petco with my grandson while getting him a new Betta, I saw a beautiful red Betta with a Delta tail and got it for myself! Yayyy! A first time Betta owner I became!

A week later I was at Walmart to purchase some supplies. Oh.my.gosh! I was very upset about what I saw there! I immediately rescued another red Betta (a crown tail type with some fin problems and a tumor under it's mouth) that was in about 3" of dirty water in a small plastic cup. So now I have the two, in separate bowls.

I also promptly emailed Walmart Corporate Headquarters and complained about the fish treatment and the condition of the fish tanks at that store. The store manager called me the next day and "promised to make sure the tanks are taken care of better in the future".
Deeana Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #23 
jaysee
Reference Team

Anytime people get emotional the discussion breaks down, whatever the topic is. People have a tendency to not respect others rights to have their own viewpoint when they get emotional. A sticky is not going to change that.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #24 
countyrd419

Thank you Deeana Mill for your well stated reply. Happy 4th to everyone.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #25 
Viva

Yes happy 4th. Not to mention anyone who's first post on a forum is putting other people is a troll. Troll's opinions are worthless. Happy 4th all! I learned a lot from this thread. I've never put a fish down but there was a case in which I could and should have but didn't know how. Glad I know how now if I ever need to.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #26 
LebronTheBetta

I apologize for being harsh, but I am because I care. I said what should've been said, and I don't regret it whatsoever. My apologies.

There's a thread for euthanization already up, but it's not a sticky. - http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=116540
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #27 
Viva

Oops I meant *putting other people down lol. Yeah don't worry I wouldn't take your words back because trolls have no feelings anyways :)
Old 07-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #28 
LebronTheBetta

I don't think that was a troll, that user actually posted a few threads. ._. But, whatever. Even betta forums aren't safe. *sigh*
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #29 
Viva

He's either a troll or too young to understand common sense and other people's emotions. Either way whatever.