Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #1 
Haleigh

Moss ball causing filter to clog?

Hello all. So, I have a new betta fish Emperor Catullus. I decided to upgrade from my previous 2.5 gallon to a 5.5 gallon. I got new plants (silk) and a moss ball. I've had Catullus for a week, so today I did my first weekly 50% water change with a gravel vacuum (which is wonderfully convenient).

When I added new water, white flaky things started floating around the water. I'm assuming this was settled at the bottom of the tank. It made the water fairly dirty, so I decided to remove the stocking I had covering his filter and let it run for about an hour to clear up the water (Catullus was not in the tank).

After an hour, I returned to find pristine, clear water in my tank. I decided to take out the filter to rinse it off. When I did, green gunk came out of the filtration slots. I sucked this out with an eye dropper and took the filter to the sink to clean. When I took it apart, I saw that the sponge filter inside and the filtration slots that suck in the water were clogged with the same green slime.

I'm assuming my moss ball caused this. This is my first time having a moss ball, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I thoroughly rinsed out every part of the filter and put it back in the tank with the cleaned stocking. When I started it up, it spit out its normal white bubbles, but nothing green, thankfully.

Is there something wrong with my moss ball, or is this normal?

Last edited by Haleigh; 06-21-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sounds like algae not your moss ball. If it were your moss ball I'd think your moss ball would like it was falling apart or dying. Your filter is going to have slimy goo in it for the most part. I used to clean out my intake tube every other water change & once a month or more often if it seemed the flow was less than it should be I would take apart my filter & clean it BUT I always did it in used tank water. I will say, I'm surprised you had so much built up after only a week of it running. You did say it was new filter?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:50 PM   #3 
Haleigh

Yes, the filter is brand new. It is an Aqeuon QuietFlow AT10. The moss ball seems like it was almost two moss balls squished together. I bought it from PetSmart and when I took it out of the tank to squeeze out in old water, I noticed that is felt like two separate halves forced together. I don't know why there would be such a large amount of algae in the tank so quickly.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #4 
Haleigh

I tested the water parameters Wednesday night and everything was normal.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 
BettaFran

Sounds like maybe the stocking over your filter inlet might have kept things from filtering through...meaning it also sounds like there was extra uneaten food on the substrate? How much and what do you feed? Does your guy visibly eat it all? And the algae might have built up if the filter intake flow was too little. Maybe a cut filter foam block stuffed into intake tube would work better and still keep fins out but water going through into filter?
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #6 
Haleigh

I feed Catullus New Life Spectrum, six pellets a day. He eats all of them.

I don't know if I could fit a sponge between the intake ribs with the design of the filter. I can try it out though.

I used API Quick Start last week before adding Catullus, could this have caused an algae build up?
Old 06-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Is it a tube intake that's removeable? If so take that section of the tube off & you can stuff some sponge inside. That's what I did when I had an HOB.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #8 
Dwarden3

Just to be sure, you could tie your moss ball to something in the tank, and see if the problem clears up. If it does not, then it is probably algae.
Dwarden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #9 
Haleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Is it a tube intake that's removeable? If so take that section of the tube off & you can stuff some sponge inside. That's what I did when I had an HOB.
No, here's a picture of my filter.

If this proves to be a problem, the tank I bought came with a filter that has an intake tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarden3 View Post
Just to be sure, you could tie your moss ball to something in the tank, and see if the problem clears up. If it does not, then it is probably algae.
I have taken the moss ball out and have it back in a cup. I think I'll keep it there until the next water change to see if it was indeed the culprit.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #10 
BettaFran

Ah. So I assumed wrong on your filter. Is that an internal one? Never seen it before. Well sounds like you have a plan. Let us know how it goes. Blessings.
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote