Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #1 
bettinha

Unhappy Popeye diseased

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and I'm, very worry about my fish, Blue is 6 month old with me and he has the pop-eye disease. it has being a week that he is no acting well and i was treating him with melafix and fungus cure, but yesterday he woke up with the eye swolen and white like a bubble, and i bought Maracym 2 and i'm treating him with that since yesterday. he leaves in a two gallon tank with oxygen and air bubbles I also just add aquarium salt a little rocks. I don't have a hospital tank, so I'm treating him on his normal tank. my big concern is he is not eating, i put him in a small bowl and try to feed him with pallets and flakes, but i think he can't see the food, so he is not eating at all, i even try to feed him directly in his mouth and he didn't eat it. I'm desperate.. I love my blue and have no Idea what to do to save his life . please help!!!!
bettinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #2 
sainthogan

Please fill this out so we can help you better.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #3 
ANHEL123

If he has pop eye go to the any pharmacy department and buy Epsom salt. Just plain Epsom salt without any additives(unscented).
Make daily (100%) water changes for him now. Acclimate him slowly to the new water.
Do you know how to acclimate the fish?
How often and how much of the water you usually change for him ?
If you never did 100% water change , then do 2-50% about 3 hrs apart. And then do full water changes.
Pre mix 2tsp/gall of the Epsom salt. Make sure it dissolved. You can use one gall jug to prremix it. Shake it and make sure there is not salt crystals left. Add salt with every new water change.
Do 2 tsp/gall first and second time and third time add 3tsp/gall.
Stio ysubg Nekafix, it bad for betta labyrinth organs. And i would make a few 50% water changes right now to get rid of the Melafix.
If you already started him on Maracyn 2 continue it. You can do daily water changes and just add required dose of medication on that day.
Also i just was thinking sorry if you have him on med's use just 1tsp/ gall of the aquarium salt along with medications. Epsom salt also will help with Pop eye.
You usually don't need oxygen for bettas but since you using so much medications do not take it out because medication take oxygen away, so keep it.
Edit sorry i didn't see the reply , i am always late:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #4 
bettinha

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76 -78 F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pallets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily 5 pallets each time

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he is weak, color changed and has a popeye
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? swims under the tank and doesn't eat
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a week ago, popeye happened yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? yes, for a week i treated with Melafix and fungus cure, yesterday after the popeye i started treating him with maracym 2
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not for that, once or twice when he was in a little bowl he got kind swiming slowly and not eating, so i treated with betafix, after i put him in a 2 gallon tank with oxygen it's the first time he got sick.
How old is your fish (approximately)? ___I have him for 6 months_______________
Old 06-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #5 
bettinha

Hi ANHEL123 I changed his water 100 % yesterday to take all the meds away and just using Maracym 2, i added some aquarium salt two. in the instructions for Maracym says, to not changing the water until 7 days with the medicin, should i follow it? I also used zephyrhills spring water, so i wouldn't use any water condition, so it will be less quimic on his water. i'm afraid he die for not being eating at all. and also i turned off the filter since the carbon takes all the medicine away, i'm just using air bubbles.
Thank you or your tips.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #6 
darkangel

I think he was had ammonia poisoning while he was in the little bowl and the stress of moving brought on bacteria infections.

I think you do 100% wc every 4 days to make sure your water has no ammonia and maybe combine maracyn 2 with maracyn 1 to cover all the bacteria types. Try bumping the temperature to 82F, it might help.
darkangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:41 AM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would not use aquarium salt and medications simultaneously, as it would put a lot of stress on the kidneys.

For popeye, I would try Epsom salt at a dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon, and daily water changes (still with the Epsom salt). If that isn't effective, then combine the Epsom salt and Maracyn Two.

I would not use Melafix. It can toxic to bettas.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-30-2013 at 11:43 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #8 
bettinha

I'm already using Maracym 2, so should I change his water daily? it says in the instructions to not change the water until 7 days treating him. should I add Epson salt into the water? I added aquarium salt this morning when i put the daily dose for Maracym 2. he is hiding behind the thermometer now and doesn't move.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #9 
tngirl92

Ditto on cutting out the Melafix. Even though it is usually good to try plain epsom salts first, your fish sounds like he is pretty deep in the throes of a bacterial infection since he is not eating, changing color, and the popeye sounds like it is worsening. My advice would be to continue using the Maracyn 2 and combine it with the epsom salts people have suggested you use. I also recommend that you go to your pet store and buy Maracyn 1, too. Maracyn 2 is either for gram-positive or gram-negative bacteria (can't remember which) but since we don't know exactly what is attacking your fish, you need to treat for both. Maracyn 1 attacks whichever spectrum of bacteria that Maracyn 2 is ineffective against. The two maracyn antibiotics will combat whatever bacterias are CAUSING your betta's popeye, and the epsom salts will combat the swelling of the eye itself.

Using Maracyn, Maracyn 2, and epsom salts in the tank together should not harm your fish. You may also consider conditioning your water with API Stress Coat when you do your 100% changes. It has aloe in it, which will not react with your other medicines, but is very therapeutic for healing any kind of fish injuries, including popeye. You may be able to save the eye that way. Don't panic if the eye falls out, though. Your fish can still live a full and happy life without it.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:11 PM   #10 
bettinha

tngirl92 Thank you for your advice, i'm going to get Maracym 1 now and stress coat, and see how he reacts.. thank you