Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #11 
PersonalityUnknown

I don't have room or the money to get more tanks for everyone (I live in a studio appt with my boyfriend and our two dogs.), especially after this new rent fiasco...

I did a 50% water change and added salt + stress coat plus another dose of bacteria. I'll be taking a sample of water to work with me to test my water. I'll post test results as soon as I can.

Just to clarify, I don't care if you say if it's stock related. If it is, it is. Nothing I can do other than trade my fish to the store I work for for something better suited. My issue was people attacking my stock options when I wanted an answer for my fish hemorrhaging. I understand that it's not kosher, it's highly not recommended but I am experimenting. I keep a very close eye on all my fish, their behavior and habbits. I notice any little thing wrong with my fish and I immediately ask someone more experienced for advice. I don't wait for weeks to roll by then go "oh, well heck.". If anything goes wrong in my tank, I'll notice it within a few days if I don't catch it right away.

From what I've seen from all of my fish is normal behavior of any community fish. Everyone lives in peace, the female betta's do their thing, my male betta stays on display 98% of the time within the first two inches of the front of the tank and my guppies and loaches stick to their respective [gender] groups with the random male guppy going "EY BEBE HOW U DOIN" If I see ANY true aggression or stress in my fish, I'd IMMEDIATELY quarantine them and exchange him/her for something more suited.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 06-28-2013 at 09:12 AM. Reason: edited for profanity
PersonalityUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #12 
jaysee
Reference Team

I'm all for experimenting - it's how we learn things. I have an experiment I'm conducting at the moment, and some others lined up as well.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #13 
PersonalityUnknown

Tested my water:
Ph 6.7
Ammonia 1ppm-2ppm
Nitrite and nitrates are zero.

Ill be doing another 50% water change when I get home. I can only imagine what my ammonia was at before yesterday's change :(
Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #14 
jaysee
Reference Team

I would change nearly all the water.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #15 
PersonalityUnknown

Okay ill do that instead then.. I guess I will be buying that tubing to get it to go into my kitchen sink to drain... Lol
Old 06-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #16 
jaysee
Reference Team

If you have 2 ppm of ammonia and do a 50% change, the lowest it will then be is 1 ppm, which is still way too high.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:57 PM   #17 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Definatly do a ton more water changes. I would look into adding biological filtration or rehoming some fish, 1-2ppm of ammonia is way too high.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #18 
bethyMT

Those loaches get to be 12 inches long when full grown. Those might be good to rehome first. Although they might be small now, they will grow fast.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #19 
keepsmiling

Ammonia poisoning is what you are seeing. This tank is not cycled, so you will have to stay on top of water changes as the next thing to happen is the nitrites going up. Either one will kill the fish. I would consider a new home for the goldfish & loaches at least. Wishing you the best.
keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #20 
Lights106

A 20% weekly water change with that bioload would be far to little. I would do more water and more frequent water changes.
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote