Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #1 
alwaysaBettaLover

Question my buoyant snail??

The other day my snail died, and algae immediately started retrieving, so I got another snail, and this one doesn't sink. It's a mystery snail/Apple snail which is the same thing my other snail was, but my question is, why does it float!?
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ummm, it's dead? Unless it's moving and gliding across the top of the underside of the water, then it's dead.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #3 
alwaysaBettaLover

No, it's not dead, - it moves around SUPER slow- and I have seen it leave it's shell door before, but maybe it has air trapped in its shell?
Old 06-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh okay, then that's possible. Is it upside down? You can flip it upside right in that case and it should be okay. But I don't have much experience with snails otherwise!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #5 
alwaysaBettaLover

Well I have tried getting the air out, but I think the actual snail itself is blocking the air.I have tried flipping it, it it isn't working. Right now it's on the filter intake tube. And I usually have to put the betta leaf super close to the surface so the snail can attach to the glass, and get around.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Weird! well I've got nothing then lol
Old 06-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Floating definitely doesn't mean dead - in my experience mystery snails can do that sometimes. I have read that they do this because they are not happy with their environment, and are attempting to float in the current to another area. When asked, my snails neither confirmed nor denied this, so I don't know if that's why they do it or not. I'm inclined to believe it though.

They don't need help - they'll come out when they come out. It is the snail that is making itself float - if it didn't want to be floating it would just sink to the bottom.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #8 
alwaysaBettaLover

Oh, well I literally just put it in almost a day ago, so that doesn't really surprise me :) I hope eventually it does end up liking the environment, because my old one really did.

Do you know perhaps what type of environment they DO like?? And really it hasent explored enough, but I think it just didn't like that it was moved from its comfortable tank, into a bag, and then into another tank. Idk
Old 06-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #9 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysaBettaLover View Post
Oh, well I literally just put it in almost a day ago, so that doesn't really surprise me :) I hope eventually it does end up liking the environment, because my old one really did.

Do you know perhaps what type of environment they DO like?? And really it hasent explored enough, but I think it just didn't like that it was moved from its comfortable tank, into a bag, and then into another tank. Idk
If you had one that did well then I would expect this one to do well too. It stands to reason that it was stressed being moved - hopefully it settles in.

I don't really know what they do like, though I'm sure the information is out there.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #10 
alwaysaBettaLover

Oh ok!! Thank you so much I was scared it was messed up or something.