Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #1 
Lynzee

Question Scales and Fins, Will they grow back?

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right place.
Anyway, I have a male Half Moon Betta. When I bought him a couple of weeks ago he had some missing scales on the top of his head and throughout his body in random spots. He also has a few slices/rips in his Caudal and Anal fins. I'm not sure how he got these and I don't care, I just want them to heal. So my question is, How long will his scales and fins take to grow back, if at all? He eats great, about 4-5 pellets a day, and has room to swim [5 gallon]. He doesn't seem stressed, and is active [mostly at night], so it doesn't seem to be getting him down too much. I was just curious because I'd like to see him fully healed.

This is the best photo I could get of him. Of course you can't see his fins, but you can see the severity of the missing scales on his head/body.
Thanks!

Lynzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #2 
LouiMon

My Betta lost a pretty big chunk of his fin and within about 2 months you can't even tell it happened... I don't know if scales grow back, though.
LouiMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #3 
Lynzee

That's good to know that the fins do grow back, especially within a short amount of time. I was thinking it'd take idk, maybe a year? haha. Hopefully scales do too. Thanks =]
Old 06-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #4 
Kiara1125

Scales grow back. Two of my males jumped over a divider and got into a fight. Chunks of flesh and fin were missing and after treating them with double the dose of API Stress Coat and API Aquarium Salt they healed within a week. The scales grew back and there's no scar tissue. Your male will heal slower, but he should be ok. You can get both products that I mentioned at Walmart for about $6 in total. Pretty cheap. Also, can you possibly repost the picture? It's not showing up for me.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:00 PM   #5 
Lynzee

Ohh good. That's mostly what I was worried about, was his scales. His poor head looks terrible. =/ It almost looks like he was put in with another male, and he lost the fight. I'm not too sure what happened, maybe Petsmart takes really poor care of their Bettas. Anyway, I'll look for those at Walmart next time. Thanks! I really didn't know they sold anything like that, but I've never had to look before this. Glad to know!
Oh, and let me try and repost the picture. I'm having a little difficulty getting the hang of the website.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #6 
Lynzee

Hopefully you can see it. If not, I can try again, or you can see his pictures in my profile.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #7 
Kiara1125

Are you talking about how his other scales are white and his head is tan? Because, if you are, his scales aren't missing. He's a dragonscale. That means that some scales will be thicker than others. He's not a full dragonscale, so not all of his scales are thick. Look at my female blue dragonscale. See what I mean? She's a broken dragonscale, just like yours.

Last edited by Kiara1125; 06-28-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yep, he's a Dragon boy for sure. Kiara gave a great example, some people breed Dragon Scaled betta's to regular betta's and it gives the broken DS look. He may fill in later in his life but I predict he'll look like that for most of his life. I did have a boy that had the "skunk" stripe of a DS, that's what it's called on the top of their head where there aren't thick scales. And over the course of two months he actually filled in his scales, so yes they can grow in but it depends on their genetics.

And yes, as far as those fins go, just use some sort of Stress Coat and keep up with water changes! For a 5 gallon while he's healing I suggest doing two changes a week just so that he won't get any fin rot or anything. Clean water also helps promote new growth! So that's always good! Also a healthy diet will promote new growth as well. If you don't already have them I really suggest Omega One and/or New Life Spectrum. Both are high quality foods and if you get a small container of them, it's going to last you what seems like forever haha.

The thing you look for in foods in the first three ingredients, that's what is in the food most. So the first three and you want to watch out for fillers. Fillers are things like wheat, corn and soybean products, those are things that your Betta can't really digest well and so thus is bad for them. You can also feed him a variety of things! He'll love that I mean, you wouldn't want to eat broccoli at every single meal, right? haha, so you see variety is really good as well

He's a very beautiful boy! And as always, ask any questions you've got and we'll happily answer them you can never know too much!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #9 
Lynzee

Ohhh!! I see now. And here I am thinking there's something wrong with him, poor guy. Well, it's good to know that he's a healthy Betta, excluding the ripped fins =/. You have a very beautiful Betty Kiara! Love her colors. What does a full Dragonscale Betta look like? Do they just have thicker fins than the average fish or how exactly do they earn the name? I do like the look though. I figured something was wrong with him because it kind of does look as though they're missing, but now that I see one as comparison, it makes sense. I feel kind of dumb for not knowing haha.

Anyway, Thanks for letting me know about the water changes lilnaugrim, because I was wondering about that as well. I knew that clean water helped reduce the chance of infection, but didn't know it promoted new growth. That's another good thing to know. And What is a Stress Coat?
And as far as food goes, right now he's eating TetraBetta. I've been wanting to get something better but didn't know exactly what the best kind was, so thanks for filling me in on that as well. He doesn't like Blood Worms! I thought it was kind of odd at first, but then I realized that the bottle says they're freeze dried, and I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. He MIGHT eat maybe 1 or 2 at a time, but I can tell he's not happy with them. I also bought some Baby Shrimp or Gammarus but they're wayyyy too large for him, and even chopping them into smaller pieces doesn't help because he doesn't care for them either. Until I can get another food, I'm gonna have to stick to these pellets. =\ What are the first 3 ingredients to look for? This one says Gluten, Soybean and Potato Protein. That doesn't sound very good to me, so I know it can't be good for him. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, and again I'm glad to know that there's nothing wrong with his scales. And of course I have tons more questions but they'll have to wait! =]
Old 06-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh feel free to ask all the questions you want that's how we learn!

Oh my, gluten, soybean and potato protein! wow...yeah that's no good, half the time I wonder how they even come up with this stuff!! Well for reference here's Omega One's first three ingredients: Whole Salmon, Halibut, and Shrimp. So you see those are all fish and since our little ones are carinvores this is perfect! NLS has these first three ingredients: Whole Antartic Krill, Whole Herring, Whole Wheat Flour, so as you can see only one out of three is a filler which is still fine.

And as far as Stress Coat, it's a water conditioner that contains Aloe Vera, aloe does the same thing to fish as it does us; heals wounds. So it helps patch up fins and boo-boo's on your fish ^_^ and you can use that instead of using your regular water conditioner since it is one in and of itself, you can use both but it's not needed.

And for scales, Dragon Scales just have thicker scales, not fins. So here's what a "normal" Betta would be (I'm just using Plakats for reference, they can have long tails as well. Plakat is just short tailed Betta's)

Notice the blue/purple scales on his body, look nice yeah? So then they move up towards the head and seem to "disappear", that's where the scales stop, or at least the ones that are purple colored. Then you get the red "under" layer of smaller scales.

Now here's a Full Mask Dragon:

You can see that the thick white scales cover all of his head but just under his eye and mouth you can see his "under" layer of color which is a reddish-peach color. Compare how thick his scales are to the first one.

Now here is the normal DS, he's got what's called a "Skunk" stripe as many dragons do.

They still have scales in that stripe but they just aren't the thick opaque scales that color and cover their body.

Scales can grow in as well, for exampe here's my boy Aero when I first got him, notice he's got a kind of broken skunk stripe but it's definitely a stripe:

And here he is today as it starts to fill in, one day he will have a full mask, no skunk stripe at all which is normal for young Full Mask DS Betta's
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote