Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #1 
MIC14

Two Questions (Regarding divider and a filter)

I recently bought 2 males, I have a 10 gallon tank and a divider. I've owned Betta before but these 2 are extremely aggressive and keep trying to get through the divider to fight. I've read mixed things about this, some say it's good activity, some say it's too stressful. Like I said, they're both really aggressive and notice each other quite often and flair etc. so I was interested on your takes.

Secondly, shot in the dark but has anyone ever owned this petsmart (greattchoice) filter? Because the instructions are absolutely awful and don't say how to attach the motor to the actual device and I can't figure it out at all.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=12346720

Thanks
MIC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

What type and color is your divider?

You could put plants, decorations, etc.,on each side to distract them and break up their ability to swim and flare (if that makes sense). If it's white, perhaps you could use aquarium/fish safe paint and make the divider a darker color so they can't see each other as well.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #3 
MIC14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
What type and color is your divider?

You could put plants, decorations, etc.,on each side to distract them and break up their ability to swim and flare (if that makes sense). If it's white, perhaps you could use aquarium/fish safe paint and make the divider a darker color so they can't see each other as well.
It's not clear, only a little see through... they only seem to notice each other on the far side edge of it, that's where they flare and try to get at each other (but can't). It's up against the edges tight but they can still somehow see each other there and try to intimidate for that territory. They have plants and I tried to cover up that area with anything I could but they manage to get to the edge, like I said just incredibly aggressive

What I'm actually noticing today is that the one on the left seems to have intimidated the other one, every time he goes close to the edge the one on the left swims over and flares and the one on the right swims off. Really don't think that's good for either of them and I'm not sure how he can see him so easily, it's like he's stalking him now somehow

Last edited by MIC14; 06-28-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Did you buy the divider? DIY craft mesh dividers are best.

How about a sponge filter? It produces a very low flow and holds a lot of beneficial bacteria once it's cycled. That filter looks really poor-made IMO and I suggest a sponge filter or an Aquaclear 20.

As for the flaring, excessive flaring is stressful to them. They both release hormones and the other betta can sense the hormones, knowing there's another betta; stressing them. As Russell said, blocking the view works really well. (:
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #5 
MIC14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Did you buy the divider? DIY craft mesh dividers are best.

How about a sponge filter? It produces a very low flow and holds a lot of beneficial bacteria once it's cycled. That filter looks really poor-made IMO and I suggest a sponge filter or an Aquaclear 20.

As for the flaring, excessive flaring is stressful to them. They both release hormones and the other betta can sense the hormones, knowing there's another betta; stressing them. As Russell said, blocking the view works really well. (:
i bought the divider, they actually seem to have calmed down

a sponge filter is okay for a 10 gallon?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, a sponge filter is great. Just get a big one.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Use two dividers with the heater and filter between them. Equal heat and flow and they can't see each other. BTW. A white divider blocks the view better than a black one. Try it.

Or your could use two smaller sponge filters.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote