Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #41 
fishyinpa

lol okay

ooh i had a thought lol. so they need some kinda light right? well what bout using like a desk lamp? the kind with the bendy neck...i have one on my desk downstairs and another somewhere..wonder if thats flourescent...hmm..must go look...

Last edited by fishyinpa; 02-22-2009 at 11:09 PM.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #42 
Kim

Incadescent does heat up really bad! My mom got me a tank off of craigslist for a QT tank and it has incadescent bulbs. I don't use them except at feeding time, and if you leave them on for like half an hour that top is HOT! You can actually see where the top is malformed I'm guessing from the heat.

Anyway, I think your new fish is fine. He was probably just a bit overfed and stressy. My rescue betta used to look like that as well and now his body is a deep navy blue color as opposed to pale grey, and his stomach is a lot more streamlined.

As far as bubble nests go, I have one (Prof. Lupin - rescue betta) who builds them all the time and makes his like an inch tall, my new little girl who scatters bubbles all over the surface of her QT tank, my new male who built HUGE bubble nests for like a week and then just stopped although he still does scatter them on the surface, and my old rescue betta Flame (RIP) who would build nests pretty regularly, but most often would just cover the surface with random bubbles. So, I think it all depends on the betta and I wouldn't worry if you have one that doesn't build nests every day as long as they appear happy and healthy. Although it certainly is rewarding when they build you a huge one!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #43 
dramaqueen
Banned

I love bubblenests! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #44 
fishyinpa

Oh cool thanks Kim! I was worried bout him,but as he seems very active,bubble making,eating all that I guess hes a-okay! Lol. Oh okay,i really like bubblenests though haha...really cool looking and amazing how they can make them! i always feel bad when i break em up...sigh...Maybe one of these days Fishy will build another one...maybe...lol! Im gonna look at the aquatic gardens tank at petco (if they have it) and see if they have a light i can get for him. It is quite dark in my bathroom even now with the sun up. So ill have to do something.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #45 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no window in my bathroom either. Couldn't keep a tank in there anyway. No room. lol
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #46 
fishyinpa

Ah lol. I have just enough room on my counter hehe...they had the curvy tanks at my petco..but im picky and wanted red or purple or pink lids..only yucky yellow & green lol...so i go check out the other petcos later this week...oh and no lights for it either...but i just remembered while i was at work that i have that strip light i got with my 5.5 tank. So i thought somehow i could like stand it up on the side of the tank or sumtin...
Old 02-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #47 
dramaqueen
Banned

It seems like my Petsmart mostly sells their brand, Topfin everything. I don't really like Topfin. I did NOT like their betta bits. They would sink before my fish had a chance to get them. lol
Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #48 
fishyinpa

Yeah i know what ya mean! I think i have top fin betta pellets...i dumped it into a lil glad container lol. What i do is drop in one a time so he has a chance lol. He dont like having to chase his food haha..
Old 02-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #49 
dramaqueen
Banned

They only like food that floats, like bloodwoms, brine shrimp and pellets. lol
Old 02-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #50 
fishyinpa

haha yeah...