Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #1 
Skyewillow

Greens

Aemaki's spawn from last January threw a green that I've been entranced with since she came home in May. Realizing how few true greens I see out there, I want to breed her, and start my own green line.

I found the perfect green male for an HMPK line, and thanks to Fenghuang, who bought him for us, he's going to be here soon! I would like some opinions about what would need improving with this line once I can stabilize the color.

(Male on the left, female on the right)
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:14 PM   #2 
Tro2012

Cleaner marble pattern, I think.
Tro2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #3 
Myates

I just saw this on FB :P

Their colors are awesome, will make some stunning babies..

If you want some honest opinion on what needs improvement...

The male is lacking, a lot in the fin dept.

The dorsal is very thin and scraggly, the caudal is uneven/not uniformed in any way - not near an HM (if that is what he was labeled), and too "oddball" to be considered a regular PK.

Anal is hard to tell as he isn't flaring.. but it looks like it's not coming to a good point at the end.

His ventrals are short, thin and possibly forked a couple ways.

His pluses are he has a good topline and good coloration.

The female is good.. needs a better spread, but finding a female that is 180 or close is hard.. but it looks like she has a good/decent caudal.

Dorsal isn't bad, could be a tad wider.

She looks like she may have a tiny bit of red to her, so keep an eye on that and don't breed any offspring that shows red, otherwise you'll never get it out of your line.

So really a lot needs to be worked on, imho -

Wider dorsal that is more uniformed in ray length/sizes - you don't want those short rays in the front.
A more even, better spread in the caudal. Again, try to get ride of those short first rays.
A smoother, and a bit bigger anal fin.
Ventrals should be wider (in both of the sexes), just the males should be more elongated and come to a single point rather than multiple.

It all depends on what your goals are other than color - do you want to show the fish? If so then you will need lots of work with them. Do you want to sell for a good price? Then lots of work still as people who are willing to spend the money to ship will generally pass over the faulty ones for better ones of equal prices.
If you're just doing them to sell locally, or through here or FB.. then just have fun and see what you get.

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck! Sometimes it's hard to find the right coloring that also has the right fins, etc. But with work and patience, you can turn them into something spectacular :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #4 
Skyewillow

Once I stabilize the color, I'm hoping to work on the fins. I would eventually (with a lot of hard work) like turn this into a showable line. Until then, I just don't see enough of this color, and I love it!

I see where you see the red, I'll be sure to keep an eye on that as well. I appreciate the detailed feedback, Myates! Thank you very much ^_^
Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm planning a line right now and I have already accepted that I will have to sacrafice finnage for a couple of generations because I just want the color. I really like yours, and if you decide to breed them good luck. Myates gave really good advice.

Do you know their backgrounds?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #6 
Skyewillow

I don't know the male's, he's from Thailand, but the female is from Aemaki's spawn

Last edited by Skyewillow; 06-27-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:36 AM   #7 
Darth

The scales are a problem also this may be a bad thing latter.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #8 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
The scales are a problem also this may be a bad thing latter.
would you mind showing me what scales you're referring to? I can keep an eye out for them as I go.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #9 
registereduser

Not a breeder but wouldn't it be easier to establish color first and then start worrying about fins/scales?

Also, keep me in mind when you are ready to sell, green is my favorite color!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #10 
Darth

On the male right behind the gill plate along the lateral line, he also looks to have sunken bone structure this could be bad, he has awesome color and I do not want to discourage you, but with the fin structure on both you have a lot of work ahead of you, the next step {I would take} is take the very best Female and find a good male with similar color or a Royal Blue will work you will see greens out of that also, if the bones are bad that is genetic and will not be bred out.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote