Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #1 
DoctorWhoLuver

Live Cultures

Got my Micro/Banana/Walter worm cultures today! I set them up and they're still a little smelly. Smells like honey mixed with yeast.. The seller gave me enough to start two cultures for each :) (is read it's not normal for them to smell... is it alright? ) There seems to be so much starter culture though.

So I have my spawning tank (sponge filter/heater/10 gallon filled 4-5inches) set up, the pair conditioned for two weeks with frozen bloodworms and live mosquito larvae, live food for fry. Am I ready to spawn them? Male is flirt swimming (not building bubble nest, he's always sucked at bubblenests) and female sort of flirt swims (?), is eggy (No breeding stripes, she's light-colored).

Am I ready to spawn them? :D
DoctorWhoLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #2 
DoctorWhoLuver

So I introduced them in the spawning tank. It started off well until the female neared the nest. He allowed her to inspect it, then attacked her out of nowhere. The female freaked out and started darting around the whole tank making tiny thumps along the tank walls. She's floating in a cup again and flaring a little at him and he's gone back to flirt-swimming and building his nest, but now I'm worried.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #3 
DoctorWhoLuver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbiEJ...ature=youtu.be
This is a video. Is this flirting? The female seems to flare at him head on and when she was released, he bit and chased her and she went nuts...
Old 06-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #4 
Myates

Yes, he is trying to lead her to the nest.. even if he isn't ready, he wants her near for her to watch him build it (the girlies like to watch). It's very common and normal for the male to chase the female around.. it's part of the process - the male placing the female into submission. Damage to body and fins do occur (to both the males and females).

You have to allow them to do their thing if you want them to breed. She has to be chased, there has to be nipping to a degree, etc. Veteran breeding pairs tend to be easier on one another, but young/virgins it can get messy (unless that male/female is particularly an aggressive breeder).

Move her closer to the nest so the male doesn't have to go such a far distance between her and the nest. She needs to see it and he needs to be able to view her otherwise they can get out of "breeding mode".

Don't expect them to start spawning when you release the female.. it can take days or even a week or two for it to happen with virgin fish. Sometimes you get lucky and get them to spawn within a day, but not always (again, veteran breeding pairs will spawn quickly, and real young ones (3-4mo of age) tend to spawn quickly as well).

Move her closer to the nest so he will associate her and the nest and breeding.. after a few hours or so, release her.. from what the video shows it's him checking up on her and trying to lead her. Body slamming and fixation on one another non stop trying to get at one another is what you don't want.. him doing a "swim by" dancing, etc is him trying to lead her.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #5 
DoctorWhoLuver

Thank you!:)
There are so many methods of betta breeding, I'm a little confused as to when to release her x] Should I release her after he's done building or when he's building? The nest is around 3/4 of an inch thick now and is still growing, he's been working nonstop
Yep, they're around 4 months. I knew that there would be signs of aggression and nipping, but didn't expect it to be that violent x]]
Old 06-30-2013, 03:40 PM   #6 
Myates

He will continue working on it all throughout, so you are going to base it off of how he acts towards her and how she reacts. If she seems to want to follow him, and he looks to be trying to get her over to the nest then he is accepting of her presence and you can attempt to release her and watch them for the first 5-10 minutes to make sure any chasing is very short (as in, he doesn't persue her nonstop, or vice versa). She may hide in a corner for a while at first though, he will continue to come up to her and either show her his fins, or even attempt to nip at her. For me, the time depends on the pair - sometimes they get a few hours separated, sometimes no time at all.

It can get very violent. Not unheard of for the female to be killed.. I lost one female from a male, and a female of mine completely ruined the eye of one of my EE boys. I just removed a emerald green girl from my black boy as he gave her a couple good bites with a bit of tissue removed from them.. and he was still trying to breed with her. So it can get messy.. unfortunately most of my damage happen at night when I'm asleep.. I've learned to not place them in the dark - last night I forgot and that's why my male went nuts.. for some reason my fish HATE being in the dark >.> So either the room light is on or a nightlight next to them.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #7 
DoctorWhoLuver

I'll keep an eye on her and release later. She seems to by trying to swim away from the nest though:( When I did release her, the male chased her around for a minute or 2 and lunged at her. Right now, he occasionally swims over to her cup and flares at her. She flares back, but does no more. I have a lamp that I can keep on at night x]
Aww :(
Yeah, it's a little scary to me to leave them unsupervised overnight X] lol
Thanks for the help!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #8 
DoctorWhoLuver

Ah I hate bothering you again, but I have yet another question X]

I released the female because she was trying to get at the male and bubblenest. She has regained her confidence going full flare at him even when he chases her and doesn't seem as scared as before. He's still working on his ever-growing bubblenest and she's in behind the heater (or plant) watching him. Every so often, she'll swim towards him flaring underneath the bubblenest and he'll do some body thrashing away from her (not hitting her) and chase her away. As he's chasing her, she'd flare then dart away really fast around the entire tank and flirt swim (like he was in the video) as he tries to lead her back to the nest. I'm sort of confused and can't seem to find anything on the internet which gives an explanation for the female flaring at the male as she swim towards the bubblenest.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #9 
Myates

She still has her confidence.. let them do their dance, if they start just attacking as if wanting to kill then remove them. Otherwise, they need to go back and forth like that.. sometimes a female who is a little aggressive end up being really good breeders.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #10 
DoctorWhoLuver

They are spawning right now! Thank you so much for your help! :D