Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 AM   #1 
JessYe

Over Run tank!

So... I thought a mystery snail would be a good addition... And then I thought some plants would be cool to have.... And then a whole bunch of other tiny snails just started appearing and growing... The thing is that they look Nothing like the first snail. Which is a golden mystery snail... It's currently an inch wide so I can easily differentiate it from new invading snails, if colour wasn't enough to do it. (the invaders are orangey-brown).
So I think the plant may be the source of the new snails.
My question is:
Should I boil the rocks i have as bedding in the tank to kill off the snail.
Or:
Should I introduce a predator into the tank and create a functional ecosystem in my room?
JessYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I suspect that you have pond or ramshorn snails. If I were you, I would add a couple of assassin snails and let them finish off your infestation, but they would also put your mystery snails at risk so I would move them to a different tank or something. Or, you can add a piece of lettuce which they will collect on and then you can take the lettuce out and dispose of the snails.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #3 
thisismydesign

Yup, sounds like pond or ramshorn.

What MattsBettas suggested would work well, but also be on the look out for egg sacks. I know from personal experience that pond snails reproduce very quickly once they get going. The sacks will be laid on the walls of the tank or on decorations. They are easy enough to scrape off.
thisismydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismydesign View Post
Yup, sounds like pond or ramshorn.

What MattsBettas suggested would work well, but also be on the look out for egg sacks. I know from personal experience that pond snails reproduce very quickly once they get going. The sacks will be laid on the walls of the tank or on decorations. They are easy enough to scrape off.
I have never seen my pond snails eggs before. I just see more of them, and more of them, and then more of them... and then even MORE.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #5 
Freyja
Banned

Assassin snails might be your best bet. I tried the lettuce trap and the MTS didnt go for it. In fact I removed all plants, washed the decorations, gave the gravel a really good cleaning, and then the MTS seemed to dissipate.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #6 
Vickytoria3112

Assassin snails would be better. Just take you mystery out so they don't make a meal of him too.
Vickytoria3112 is offline   Reply With Quote