Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #11 
AltheaGlyndwr

It's totally cool! I do always confuse which salt does what >.>;;

Here is a list of my current first aid kit:

I have two 1 gallon hosp/quarantine tanks which currently house baby and soon to be not Mayim(still working on moving him into the 2.5 gallon)
3 Nets currently. I use one for Mystique and Mayim(until the sorority is set up, I've had them both for almost a year and they are healthy even if I know it's not ideal) One I am using for baby and the other I use for the two quarantine girls.
API General Cure
Aquarium Salt
Epsom Salt (pure)
KanaPlex (what I called Kanamycin earlier)
Jungle Fungus Clear
Jungle Ammonia Clear (only for emergencies and when I know I won't be able to do that water change soon enough but I've yet to use it)
Mardel Coppersafe
Jungle Ick Guard
Jungle 5 in 1 test strip
Jungle Ammonia test strip
Flashlight

Water clarifiers currently owned:
Tetra Easy Balance
Jungle Start Right(usually this is my main dechlor)
API Tap Water Conditioner
Jungle Start Zyme (I know it doesn't dechlor and I actually recently read that it doesn't even really benefit the bacteria growth so I'm thinking of throwing it out.

Foods on hand:
Omega One betta buffet flakes
Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets (for baby)
TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets (used to be my staple pellet)
Aqua Culture Betta Pellets (smallest I had and all Mystique could mouth unless I cut the other pellets, but I want to get rid of these and haven't been feeding her them since I got the OOBB flakes)
Frozen Blood Worm, Daphnia, and Brine Shrimp
I also have Tetra BabyShrimp Sun Dried Gammarus... I think they are huge and am not sure if I should feed my bettas with them. I got them a while ago and never used them since they are so big.

So other than the heaters, thermometers and deco in every tank that's what I've got. Is there anything that could be suggested I get? And where do you find PP? Also have gravel vaccuum and extra filter cartridges. Anything that I probably shouldn't use anymore and what would be better? Also I intend to get those New Life Spectrum pellets as well for more variety. I figure them sorority girls are gonna eat a lot >.<;;
AltheaGlyndwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay!

Okay so I highly suggest you don't use any Tetra foods or Aqueon or Top Fin foods, all are bad. So if you can use NLS for main staple or Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets if you can get them.

As far as other things, well I usually like API and Seachem stuff so I'm a bit bias lol but Jungle products are fine for water conditioners but when you run out you should just use the API Tap water Conditioner and upgrade to Prime haha And yes Start Zyme is basically null and void usually so you can just throw that out ^_^

Oh and by the way you really don't need PP, salts will do most of what you need and you have plenty of other meds that will also do everything you'll ever need.

Last edited by lilnaugrim; 06-30-2013 at 05:53 PM.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:18 AM   #13 
AltheaGlyndwr

So do I need Maracyn I & II? And I will totally do that with my conditioner when I use all the Jungle start right. I will also be getting NLS pellets around thursday and/or Omega One Betta Pellets. Yeah I totally don't like the pellets I have now. I feel so good about finding out more about the foods :)

Oh! Something exciting~ The pearly VT has been eating, she's still super, super slim, but maybe she's just young. Anyway, she tries to eat everything I put in there, although she takes her time. The Cambodian CT finally ate for the first time tonight! I tried everything but the frozen foods last time and I tried BW tonight and she gobbled them up. Either she really loves them or she just got hungry and comfy enough with me :D. Baby is growing so well~~
Old 07-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Congrats on your fish eating!!

As for Maracyn I&II, that's up to you. I mean in reality you can really get anything that you want to to stock up on supplies if you think you'll need it down the road.

Ohhh and test strips, I would chuck those out and either just get the API Master Testing Kit or at least get pH, Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates for the liquid testing. It's much more accurate, pretty user friendly and stores well where the strips don't and can easily get tainted just for storing.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #15 
AltheaGlyndwr

Do you have any idea how much it costs? I'll look into it on Thursday when I get paid. Also can you get them from a normal petstore?
Old 07-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The master kit? In the store it's about 30 dollars but you can find it on Ebay for much less and sometimes even free shipping! Also drsfosterandsmith.com has it for 16 I think sometimes

You should be able to find the Maracyn I & II in the store as well, usually 10-20 each but I can't remember exactly. Again, you can find it online much cheaper.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:25 AM   #17 
AltheaGlyndwr

Alright cool. Thank you :)

I'm actually out of town until tomorrow night but when I get home I will totally be posting up all of baby's progress and pics of the new girls. :) My little bro and his fish-knowing gf are babysitting baby and the girls and Mayim. I miss them so much like, I guess I didn't realize how much time I have been spending on/with them over the last couple weeks because just a couple days feels like forever and I keep wanting to look up from my comp to watch them swim. >.<
Old 07-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #18 
AltheaGlyndwr

OMG! Baby is so female~ I could see her ovaries clearly about two hours ago when I got home. Yes please! And she has grown so much in the last couple days... I came home and she's all fat bellied "Look at me! I'm growing lots!"

Oh man when I get home from work tomorrow... the photoshoot will commence!

Also have my first offer of plant trimmings from someone near me. That's really awesome~ They have water sprite and sylvinia or water lettuce.. whatever it's called. Anyway, I'm going out tomorrow to look for a couple more girls if I can find them and a couple other plants. This is getting so exciting.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #19 
AltheaGlyndwr

Baby Betta (Alexa)

On June 20th I brought home an approximately 6-7 week old baby betta. I assumed she was female based off of shape, white egg spot, and fins. I now know for certain (I finally saw her ovaries last night) that Alexa is a female. Here are pictures of her starting from the first day on to today.

Within 6 hours of bringing her home, with a water change, food, and a heater this is the difference I saw:

Isn't the color change glorious?

Here is the next day:

On the 25th of June:

Here is the color change by the 29th of June:

And this is her progress as of today (although I did a water change about 30 minutes before this so she is still a tiny bit pale):

The first one is of the flashlight directly on her and the second is just me using the light to show her colors. She has been one of the greatest blessings and inspirations I've had in a long while. Alexa is definitely going into my sorority when she is 3 months old. She just keeps growing and growing! I love this little fish. She is so full of life and eager to see everything. I think she is rounding out quite nicely. Today marks two whole weeks of having her in my life. <3
Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 AM   #20 
AltheaGlyndwr

Introducing~~~ Rainbow Sorority Ladies! (In quarantine)

I'll do a whole post on Mytique later, but here are some pics of the girls I've found:

From left to right (sorry for the blur) Salacia the black CT, Icelia the lavender/periwinkle CT, Mystique... well Mystique-colors CT, Layla the pearlie VT, and Bastet the cambodian CT.

Originally I only had Mystique. I've had her for about a year now. Then two weeks ago I got the baby Alexa and last week I got Bastet and Layla. The two of them (Bastet and Layla) faced off with flaring and flashing through their cups. When Mystique would swim by their battle would end and Mystique would be the new target. Mystique was interested and curious but she would just swim away without a care and not flare back.

Today I got Icelia and Salacia. Icelia flares at anyone who is nearby and flashes herself. Salacia hasn't really flared yet but she'll get flashy. I'm pretty sure that her right fin is bugging her because she's been holding it to her body almost always and she's been more clamped than any of the others. Her water was filthy when I brought her home. I'm pretty sure she'll be okay with a little TLC. Bastet and Icelia seem to like to face off to one another hardcore. So that's interesting. Layla just looks like she wants out to explore and just as before Mystique is curious but doesn't seem to care about the others truly. Only when there is food in their cups.

All the girls (minus Mystique) are floating in their cups and to keep quarantined but also warm. They get tank water changes daily or every other day. Layla (who still has a hole in her fin and a tear in her dorsal although it looks like it might be healing) and Salacia for certain are receiving daily water changes. I also have 3 live plants I am adding. Slowly getting more and more cover for their world.

Here are some crappy pics of each(minus Mystique who will be featured later):

Bastet after I brought her home:

Cambodian coloration crowntail with bright, bright blue eyes. She only recently decided to eat and then only blood worms. Although she sucked on a pellet today so there's progress!

Bastet frontal view with Layla in the background.

Layla:

Iridescently colored with offwhite(pinkish) body with red on her face and white lips, blue, teal, red, purple, and pink on her fins; veiltail. Her fins seem to be healing. She is very, very slender (trying to fatten her up) but she loves to eat... although she does take her time with it.

Layla and Mystique.

Icelia:

Periwinkle/lavender colored crowntail. She has attitude and spirit. When she stripes, she reminds me of one of the purple and white tigers from WoW(world of warcraft) ... yeah I'm a nerd, so sure me XD. Anyway, instead of horizontal stripes she stripes verticle like a tiger! Super awesome. Just got her today. She is absolutely gorgeous and I will totally be finding my real camera and showing you guys real pics of her for sure. Everyone will get a turn, but probably her first XD.

Salacia and Icelia.

Salacia:

Salacia appears to be black and dark grey with a few scales very, very, dark blue. She almost seems to have some grey cheeks under her eyes I think. She is flashing around but I think she's having a difficult adjustment period. Her right fin is bothering her and she is relatively clamped. Although since I changed her water from the nasty she had from the store I think she's starting to feel better. I can see spirit underneath the clamping. She just needs some TLC. Just got her today as well.

Each of my new girls are from a different one of the 4 pet stores I have nearby. Tomorrow most are getting fresh shipments so I am gonna go check them out and potentiall get one more girl... It has to be super special though. :)

So that's my sorority so far! I love watching them interact and I'm sure it's going to be an awesome adventure when they get to be free in their home. I don't really know who the top dog will be, but I'm thinking possibly Bastet or Icelia. But we'll see ;) Mystique might just jump up there! <3