Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2009, 01:13 AM   #1 
piperandremy

Question 2 Gallon Tank, Heater Needed? + Other Question...

I have about a two gallon tank, maybe more or less, for my two Betta's.

- Right now their tank temperature is at about... 69 degrees? Which I believe is too cold. I purchased a mini-heater, which I think I'll use... but I'd like another opinion. Should I use the heater? Especially if I'm planning on moving their tank back to my room, where it's a tad colder than my dining room where they are now..
- Also, they haven't been eating much. I'll put in their pellets, or flakes, and they never seem to eat anything! I've had them for about a week, and they swim around and whatnot, but never eat... Grr!
- Any other tips? Recommendations? I'm totally new to the betta world, so any help I can get would be great.

Thanks! :)
piperandremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #2 
FordMan

yeah deff use the heater set the temp to 76F when fish are cold they eat less because their metabolism is slowed it's how coi hibernate in frozen ponds or snakes in the winter .. same principle
FordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:25 AM   #3 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Welcome to the forum, piperandremy!
I maintain a temp of 79/80 in both my betta tanks. Everything I've ever read states that bettas do best at a minimum temp of 78. Are you keeping two bettas in a 2gl?
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:43 AM   #4 
piperandremy

thanks! and yes, two females in a two gallon tank. maybe a little bigger.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:38 AM   #5 
Cody

In one tank? I would get them seperated ASAP.

I have personally kept every one of my bettas at 84F. They seem to do best there.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:29 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Cody. They should be separated.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #7 
piperandremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody View Post
In one tank? I would get them seperated ASAP.

I have personally kept every one of my bettas at 84F. They seem to do best there.
You think they should be separated? I'll try and work on that...

...So what else should I do? Because apparently, my betta are NOT healthy. At the pet store that I got them though, it said they could survive in a ONE QUART container, so I figured a two gallon for two would be fine, and the pet store agreed. And they told me that it didn't need a heater, which I'm now learning is not good... I put in a mini heater which should bump the temperature to about 71. Should I move them into a bigger tank, and buy a bigger heater?

Ah. I was told betta's would be low-mantinance fish, and I wouldn't have to spend much. I'm not learning that's not true...
Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #8 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Actually, once you get them set up in the proper tank type they are a pretty low maintainence fish.
I also feel that you need to get them separated and kept at a steady temp of at least 80 for their optimum health. If you're able to get them separate set-ups that would be ideal. You can always look on craigslist for tanks. I always see great deals on tanks on that site. I'm sorry that you were given such poor information at the pet store.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #9 
veganchick

They are prly the lowest maintenance fish I know, but they still need work! Also, do you use water conditioner? What do you feed them? Can you get another 2 gallon for the other female? I hardly consider it enough for one betta!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #10 
piperandremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
They are prly the lowest maintenance fish I know, but they still need work! Also, do you use water conditioner? What do you feed them? Can you get another 2 gallon for the other female? I hardly consider it enough for one betta!
I feed them pellets, although I just got some flakes. Neither fish seems to eat though, and yes, I use water conditioner.

I can work on getting another tank for the betta's, but one is NOT looking good... I just cleaned the tank the other day, and put in a heater today so the water temperature is slowly going up, but (if you read my other question) one is getting a fungus on it, I think.

Tags
eating, temperature, tips