Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #1 
OrangeAugust

question about amazon sword

Are there different types of amazon swords that grow to be different sizes? I have an amazon sword that came in a tube from Petco. It's been in my tank for almost a year (it was first in a 5 gal and now it's in a 10 gal), but it's only about 5 inches tall.
Then when I was setting up my 55 gallon, I bought some plants at an lfs and I saw the HUGEST amazon sword I've ever seen, so I bought it. The leaves go to the top of my tank, sticking up out of the water a bit, and that tank is 21 inches high! What makes one amazon sword grow to be only 5 inches, and another to over 21 inches?
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, many swords are commonly labeled "Amazon" Sword when there are a few different varieties but they should all grow up very well and tall give the right conditions. Here's a great article that I actually enjoyed reading http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Decor%20Amazon%20Sword.htm
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #3 
InfiniteGlory

I picked up a tube of compact amazon sword at petsmart for my 4 gallon and it's only about 6" tall as well. I chose it because of my small tank.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

A Note* all the types of Amazon Swords will get up over a foot tall if its growing properly. Like fish, it's growth can be stunted but it leads to an unhealthy plant. The Echinodorus Bleheri "Compacta" is actually just a small regular E. Bleheri, just another way to get your money because most think that it actually is a different plant but they will still grow up to 14-18 inches and maybe more.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon sword