Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #1 
RascalGoneWild

Question Is My Filter to big?

I Just bought and installed the Marineland Penguin BIO-Wheel 100 Filter that is made for tanks up to 20 gallons. I have a 10 gallon tank so it filters the water in the tank 10x/hr and it makes the whole tank act like one big fishy treadmill. Will this harm Rascal or do you think he will be ok if i left the filter in?
RascalGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #2 
fishyinpa

Well i have an aqua clear 20 good for up to a 20 as well. I have it on the lowest setting and its still too much current for my Fishy. So what i did was make a buffer. Some use a soda bottle. I used panty hose. Cut it and put it on,long enough so it covers the part that the water comes out of. Then i have a tall plant that stands in front of it to hold it up. Now there is barely a current but the filter still does its job. So yeah bettas dont like any kinda current. Well most. My guy likes to swim behind the pantyhose buffer and swim thru it sometimes. But they really dont like strong currents.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #3 
RascalGoneWild

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyinpa View Post
Well i have an aqua clear 20 good for up to a 20 as well. I have it on the lowest setting and its still too much current for my Fishy. So what i did was make a buffer. Some use a soda bottle. I used panty hose. Cut it and put it on,long enough so it covers the part that the water comes out of. Then i have a tall plant that stands in front of it to hold it up. Now there is barely a current but the filter still does its job. So yeah bettas dont like any kinda current. Well most. My guy likes to swim behind the pantyhose buffer and swim thru it sometimes. But they really dont like strong currents.
Thanks for the advice. Though I used the bottle idea, added some tape attached it to the filter cover and almost got electrocuted lol. Something so simple almost turned into a nightmare. Anyhow. I think he likes it better now. Thanks again :)
RascalGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 AM   #4 
fishyinpa

Oh..oops lol! Glad it worked out though..
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote