Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #1 
Sailor Nova

Unhappy Help please! I'm sad!

My male betta fish is a red & blue bi-color named Carson. I've had him a couple of years now and recently he has started sleeping more and more!
Also, I put my finger in the tank and he nipped it and I wanted to see if I could lightly touch his side as a show of affection and BIG mistake!!! He now is afraid of me! He'll let me feed him and clean his tank but he doesn't like me putting my finger in the tank anymore! I may someday want to put him in a bigger tank as he is in the Aquablock tank he came in and I need him to trust me so he won't get cut on the kinda sharp glass hole edges!
It's a kinda tricky thing I think, how will I get him out if I need to? I hate that his plant is plastic, too. I always worry he'll get a paper cut on his eye! An online human friend actually had that happen to her, so it can happen to pets, too! How do I gain Carson's full trust back? He's special, one of those once in a lifetime pet! He does little things, it's like he's a little person!
1. Why is he suddenly sleeping more often? Does this mean he will die soon?
2. I didn't hurt him by touching him but it scared him and I need him to trust and love me like he used to! I'll never touch him again!!!
Sailor Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:49 AM   #2 
onefish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Nova View Post
... put my finger in the tank and he nipped it and I wanted to see if I could lightly touch his side as a show of affection...
i dont even know if i can believe this post, but more importantly fish have a slime coating thats like a mucus that protects them, rubbing your fish takes away this coating.
onefish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #3 
Kim

I don't think that he will remember it forever. Just don't do it again and he should be over it soon.

As for sleeping more, bettas like humans, get less energetic as they age. It doesn't mean that he is dying right now, just that he is getting older.

I don't know what you mean by "glass hole edges"? As for moving him, use a cup to scoop him out. That is safer and less stressful than a net or your hand. Just make sure to cover the cup with your hand while you transfer him so that he can't jump out.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #4 
willow

hello and welcome. :)
do you know how warm his water is ?
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #5 
Haeclark

perhaps try "rewarding" him with a favorite treat?
Try just showing the tip of your finger [held abouve the water] and whenever your little buddy gets near it, give him a treat, until he eventually gets the nerve to touch it again.

My Beta has learned that if he sees my finger tip, or the tip of my wooden skewer [clean one I use to get only 1 or 2 blood worms after wetting tip] he knows he'll be getting a worm, and starts jumping for them before their over the water! [he'll dart / jump around in tank...not trying to jump out, but just excitedly!] one time he even jumped above and into his feeding ring! I couldn't believe it! Now I make sure to do his tricks away from it, as I dont want him to hurt himself...silly guy!

Hope everything goes well with your firend...but as Kim said, i dont think he'll remeber it forever...so make it a fun game for him instead of something he'll fear ;D
Haeclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:45 PM   #6 
Sailor Nova

I thought I'd update everyone. Carson has a new tank now and he loves it! It's completely safe and I worked on it for 4 days to get it perfect and safe! Now he lets me gently tap him on his back or tail! He's a little bit angry at me though because he needed to be removed from his new tank because I had to get rid of all the water because he had diareah and it was bad! I had to scoop him up in my hand and hold him until he stopped fighting me and dumped him in a clean cup of clean water! He's still a bit angry about that! Now I need to get him a small fish net so when I have to remove him again, it will be less stressful! I had origianlly wanted him to voluntarily come into my palm and so it took about 2 hours! Then the cleaning! With prep and clean-up it was probably 4 hours! I love the new tank! It brings out his blue color! He's blue and red.
Sailor Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:55 PM   #7 
Cody

Sounds good.

But you really need to stop handling your fish so much.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with Cody. I would never pick mine up. I use a net.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #9 
WaYA

Picking your fish up with your hand does less damage than chasing them around the tank with a net. To me being chased would stress me a lot worse than gently being picked up in the palm of someones hand. It's not like your picking them up on a daily bases.
I've had pet fish that would roll over on their side to be rubed. They lived a normal fish live and were happy.
WaYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can also give them germs, harm their slime coat and cause internal damage by accidentally dropping them if they slip out of your hand like a wet bar of soap.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 12-20-2008 at 11:51 AM.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote