Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #1 
Shadyr

Hair Algae?

How does one get rid of it?

AmI maybe feeding too much? I feed once a day, two small pinches of micropellets for the 7 tetras, then several small scattered pinches of NLS for my betta girls. Nothing special for the pleco and 2 dojo loaches. Should I cut back on the food amount by a bit?

Are there any things that actually eat it? I have a bristlenose pleco, but he doesn't seem much interested in it. It's getting all tangled up in my hornwort and water wisteria. I've started pulling it out manually, which helps, but having it not there at all would be best!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I believe Nerite snails eat that kind of algae as well as Amano shrimp I believe? not sure about the amano though. The feeding won't really effect the algae, it's whether or not you have fast growing plants in there and/or if you've fertilizing too much if you use liquid ferts/root tabs/co2. Also the amount of light your tank gets a day will effect it as well, the more light the more algae especially if you use Fluorescent lighting.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #3 
Shadyr

I'll add some fertilizer about once a month. I do have a couple of quick growing plants, the hornwort and water wisteria being the champs of that category. Lots of other plants too, but they aren't as quick growing.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #4 
jadaBlu

Do a search in the NPT section about a week ago I posted a great link about algae that you might find useful.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #5 
peachii

You can dip the plants in peroxide solution for 5 to 20 minutes to kill it.

Also dosing Flourish excel will help to get rid of it also.

When it is dying it will turn red, then white and then disappear.

Amano shrimp and siamese algae eaters eat it as far as I know.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #6 
Nibblez

I just got rid of the hair algae in my tank. It was in there for ages and nothing was working, no idea what the cause of it was. I ended up covering the tank up for almost a week with no light and did a 100% water change after that to get rid of the algae matter in the water column. There is barely any hair algae in there now though i have to see if it does come back or if i have eradicated it completely.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:58 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

How did the fish tolerate no light for a week?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #8 
Nibblez

The otos and shirmp were fine, i didnt have my betta in there yet so i wont be sure about a betta. The worst part to come out of this was probably the plants, They seemed to have suffered a bit but they are recovering now. On a 6 hour photo period, might increase it very slowly.
Nibblez is offline   Reply With Quote