Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #1 
bettadad71

Sticky Fin.

Hi! I'm new to the Betta fish world. I never thought I would become so addicted to keeping my Betta healthy. Truth is, it was an Easter present for my daughter. But has become an addictive hobby for me. He started out in a half gallon tank, and has been upgraded to a 5 gallon tank with heater and filter. Within the last month has has developed fin clamping or sticky fin. I have tried several methods like, more frequent water changes, a water bubbler for better oxygen, and I have been administering "Betta Fix" for the last 7 days, up until yesterday. Today I have done another complete water change. I have seen a lot of improvement over the last week. Prince has started to loosen his fins. But in the last 3 days I have not seen any more improvement. His fins are about halfway open. But it seems that they are not opening 100%. He has also lost color and has developed a small hole in his Dorsal fin. He seems more active recently and has never lost his appetite. I have read a lot of conflicting advice as to how to do water changes. Some say never do a 100% water change. While others say to do a complete water change once a month, with a weekly 50 to 30% change. I also heard that I should not rinse the gravel with tap water, while other say you should. I have been rinsing the gravel when I do a complete water change. Am I over doing it? How can I get my Betta back to good health? Thanks!
bettadad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Can you post a pic of him? OK, since you are running a filter on a 5g tank it would cycle except for the fact your are doing 100% water changes & cleaning everything. In a fully cycled tank you only need to do a weekly 50% +\- water change. There is a sticky that explains the nitrogen cycle. Now as far as his behavior & the clamped fins; have you tried turning off the filter for an hour or so? It could be the current is too strong & he doesn't like it. Bettafix is not recommended on here because it contains tea tree oil that can coat the labyrinth & kill a Betta. If you don't have a liquid water test kit I recommend getting one. Test the water for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. If the ammonia or nitrites are >.25 or nitrates are >20 do a 50% water change. If the water quality isn't good it could explain what you're seeing. Testing the water IMO should be the first step barring that I'd do an every other day water change until you can.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #3 
sainthogan

I agree completely with the previous poster. Test your tap water as well. Sometimes tap water contains high amounts of the things you don't want, and a tank that isn't fully cycled can't handle those amounts (If you've been doing 100% water changes, your tank will never become fully cycled). My tap water naturally has ammonia in it, but not enough to stress about. But some people have tap water that has .50 or higher in ammonia and/or high nitrites. If that's the case, you will need to find an additive for your water lower those amounts before you put it in your tank. Also, a really good water conditioner instead of dechlorinator might be good. Water conditioner has other things in it that can help remove other things besides chlorine.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #4 
bettadad71

I did an Ammonia, Nitrate, PH, Alkalinity and a Hardness test. All levels are within normal range. I also shut off the bubbler and filter to see if Prince would show any changes. But he is still not opening his fins completely. I attached a photo. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Images

bettadad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:20 PM   #5 
sainthogan

Shine a light on him and see if he has any gold or rust colored "dust" anywhere on him, especially near the gills. It could also look like a coating. If you see any of that he has Velvet, a parasite that naturally lives in the water, and attaches itself to fish. Occasionally, when the fish's immune system is compromised for any reason, he/she will no longer be able to fight it off and will become infected.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote